Author Topic: How much rest time?  (Read 494 times)

Offline Sean

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
How much rest time?
« on: January 29, 2013, 02:51:48 AM »
Hi there,

So I'm going from doing next to no exercise to parkour. I'm not overweight and eat semi-healthily but I started Parkour on Saturday and did about 3 hours 45 mins with some guys. It felt awesome but I knew i'd have to rest and be careful not to over do it. Two days passed and today is when I thought i'd be able to do exercise again, but I still ache especially my ab muscles and arms.

Should I continue with my exercise program now? During the week its pretty simple stuff like press ups, sqwats, running about 500m and then some dance.

I know the saying 'no pain no gain' so wondered if now is an okay time to start again or whether I should give it another day or two because its my first proper week.

(Before parkour I did my own mini exercise routine noted above on and off but no consistancy, and I move around places a lot for my work.)

Thanks!

Offline Dick Stapleton

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: How much rest time?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 05:07:54 AM »
If you're still sore it's definitely best to avoid doing a serious workout. As you're just getting started you'll probably need a few rest days in between strenuous sessions, but rest days don't mean you can't do anything. Going for a light jog or really anything that will get your blood flowing without damaging your muscles more will let you get some exercise in for the day and also help your body recover faster. It's also good to do some stretching, and self massage can really help you recover faster.
Working out while sore, though, would just impede your training. It's tough at first when you want to keep going but it's best to listen to your body. I'm not saying don't challenge yourself, but if you feel actual pain (like soreness) it's best to not stress your body further. As you continue to train and work out, though, you'll find that you get less and less sore and that it goes away faster as your body gets used to exercise. Push yourself, but don't overdo it =)

Offline Spencer Young

• Mangabey
  • The Jack of all Trades
    • View Profile
Re: How much rest time?
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 03:44:12 PM »
you should try pk muscle confusion workouts. derived from Tony Horton' s p90 X but my own parkour twist to it. find drills than workouts with weights or gym- related machines that will expand your pk skill set.

As a beginner, I gave myself about a day's rest, but I countered training by following my triforce tenants of fitness(conditioning,stamina, flexibility). working on different skills on different days not only protect your body but enhances your level of expertise.
WIP