Author Topic: Need advice on getting further  (Read 1057 times)

Offline Matthew

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Need advice on getting further
« on: January 17, 2013, 07:19:49 PM »
So I've been enrolled in this parkour class at a local gym for several months. But I really feel that I haven't gotten any better lately. I've got down the basic vaults (kong, dash, speed, etc.) but we keep doing the same stuff over and over again. I recognize the importance of repetition, but I feel like my teacher doesn't really know how to teach parkour. What's the next thing I should be learning after I have the basic vaults down? We also have a bunch of 10 year olds in the class which is really stupid because they slow down the class. They're cool kids, don't get me wrong. But how can i get over this block?

Offline Oliver Wegner

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Need advice on getting further
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 07:02:44 AM »
Start training on your own. You know the basics, now go outside and improve at your own speed. If you are not sure what to do, watch some videos on youtube, but make sure you only use them as an inspiration and don't copy every movement.

Offline Sam Dutton

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 01:46:01 PM »
Wall runs and tic tacs, if they didn't teach those.

Offline Tyler Summers

• Mangabey
  • La maladie du traceur
    • View Profile
    • Tylers911
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 11:02:48 PM »
Start to try to notice certain things your capable of. When you riding in a car or walking along watch for things like ledges and obstacles. try to develop "Runners Vision" Its alot different looking for obstacles in the world then in a gym.
2 Samuel 22
30 For by you I can run against a troop; By my God I can leap over a wall.
33 God is my strength and power, And He makes my way perfect.
34 ...he sets me on my high places.
37 you enlarged my path under me; so my feet did not slip.

Offline Spencer Young

• Mangabey
  • The Jack of all Trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 07:10:24 AM »
Every thing these guys say. I started PK training outside for my first 9 months before going to a gym. Ask your teacher about having a outside class so they can get out of comfortable city.  I only reserve gym training for diving vaults practice and tricking.
WIP

Offline Nick Fernandez

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 11:53:27 AM »
Learn how to do flips because they're f#cking awesome.

See if there's an open gym because that's f#cking awesome.

Do parkour and practice flips in open gym because you're f#cking awesome.

You have to keep yourself interested. Don't just play around with the same old vaults. Find ways to make them cooler, invent variations or do things you've never seen before (even if they may have already been done).

Have fun with walls. Do a bunch of wall runs and embrace your inner nerd gamer-ness you may or may not have. Maybe there are two short walls next to each other and you could easily jump from one to the other. There are a thousand different ways from A to B, don't stick to some silly and overused method, have fun with it. You could even hurdle one and front flip over the other, I don't know. Just find ways to have fun and explore new possibilities because you're not going to get past that plateau if you have at least decent basics but don't start to push past new dangers and fears.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykbx-yzFgBo

"If you're afraid to fall, you'll fall because you're afraid." -Daniel Ilabaca

Offline Jaden Fennec

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Everyday I Test My Limits
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 10:36:21 AM »
im 14 years old. Ive done parkour for 6 months. Ive been to 4 gymnastics classes only teaching strength. The rest? on my own. if you want a good video to watch, look up Storm Freerunning Volume 1 on YouTube. If not, ask me anything you need. but one thing you need to acquire is La Maladie Du Traceur, The Traceur Disease, or the parkour vision.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 10:38:24 AM by Jaden Fennec »
Understand that this art has been created by few soldiers in Vietnam to escape or reach; this is the spirit I'd like parkour to keep. Its up to you to determine what is useful in an emergency situation, and what is'nt.
                   -David Belle