Author Topic: Training ideas  (Read 3066 times)

Offline gravity

• Patas
    • View Profile
Training ideas
« on: December 12, 2012, 08:30:16 PM »
I was just looking for the different types of training people do basically I'm asking you this what do you do when you go out to train do you play games if so what do you play and how I want to try and cover what everyone's trying to achieve when they go out to train and how.
"there are no "parkour spots"; you can use anything anywhere to train and to play, as long as you're able to look at your surroundings with a vigilant eye, and use your imagination to figure out what you can do with things you come across."-  L'consolable

Offline Joshua Lehmiller

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Training ideas
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 12:06:02 AM »
Lately, I've been doing lots of repetition. Get a movement down, then repeat it at least 15 times--maybe as many as 50, depending on the movement.
So far, I think it's been effective.

Offline Oliver Wegner

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 05:18:25 AM »
I would say I have at least four different types of training, which all serve another purpose.

First of all, there's the repetition of single movements. I look for obstacles where I can train a certain move and try to improve it. Then, when I feel i've did evough, I go to another spot and train something different.

In contrast to this, when I train alone I often decide to go for a run. Then I move through my environment without and particular destination and overcome every obstacle in my way. It's a good way to increase endurance and work on flow, but not suitable for pushing your boundaries, doing huge jumps etc., as this would be too dangerous when you are already exhausted from running.

As a warm-up and sometimes as a whole training session (when I train with one of my friends who goes climbing regularly), we play a game. Both of us try to get as far as we can without touching the ground. This included climbing, doing precisions between walls (you are allowed to step on them) and simply being as inventive as possible. It's a very good way of training grip and pulling strength, slowly warming yourself up for more challenging and fast movements and just having fun. However, it doesn't improve your speed or flow, as it's quite slow.

And finally, on nice summer days, I sometimes spend the whole afternoon with some friends training, chatting, eating and drinking and enjoying the weather. We do a LOT of training on these days, but with longer pauses in between. At the end of the day, I feel totally exhausted and happy. I think this is the best method of training, but it needs good weather, friends to train with you and a day without work, so it's not always possible.

Offline Ryan A. Vetter

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 07:13:35 AM »
Muscle confusion and alternating days. I run everyday. I stretch everyday. I deliberately go across the street to vault over a flower box, because I want smug self-satisfaction. I call it marking, if I can do something on it, over it, or around it it's mine. If somebody else tries that I'll slit their... No, then it's a challenge and they better be dishing to serve heaping amounts of respect to me,. That or I may as well be ready for a bit of humility.
So long as I have parkour I'm okay.

Offline Spencer Young

• Mangabey
  • The Jack of all Trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 12:55:48 PM »
We play Precision Tag at one spot. Basically find an area that has noob friendly precision jumps (3-6ft across, 1-2 ft drops) and play tag. If one person touches the ground (lava) when avoiding the it person, then they are automatically it. I'll get a video of this next year sometime.

Cops and Robbers
Pick your go to training spot and play cops and robbers. ALL movements have to be Parkour related, no walking up stairs; however, you may kong/monkey them.

Fugitive
http://spenceryoungpk.wordpress.com/2012/10/31/fun-parkour-games-that-anyone-can-play-volume-1/

The link to my blog also has some ideas as well. Have Fun!!
WIP

Offline Spencer Young

• Mangabey
  • The Jack of all Trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 12:57:42 PM »
We play Precision Tag at one spot. Basically find an area that has noob friendly precision jumps (3-6ft across, 1-2 ft drops) and play tag. If one person touches the ground (lava) when avoiding the it person, then they are automatically it. I'll get a video of this next year sometime.

Cops and Robbers
Pick your go to training spot and play cops and robbers. ALL movements have to be Parkour related, no walking up stairs; however, you may kong/monkey them.

Fugitive
http://spenceryoungpk.wordpress.com/2012/10/31/fun-parkour-games-that-anyone-can-play-volume-1/

The link to my blog also has some ideas as well. Have Fun!!

Though I'm the conditioning coach, We like to play games rather than make it pure workout sans PK. these games help with basic skills, balance, and stamina. Especially fugitive games.
WIP

Offline Matthew

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 08:15:38 PM »
Never heard of Fugitive. Sounds pretty sweet :D

Offline Spencer Young

• Mangabey
  • The Jack of all Trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 06:35:59 AM »
Never heard of Fugitive. Sounds pretty sweet :D

It's pretty fun actually. You'll end up running, depending on where you play, around 2-5 miles. The more people the merrier. Playing with no traceurs automatically make you a target to get tagged. I scaled a 8ft wall to escape getting tagged from three cops. One of our guys did flow run to make it to one of the bases, note that two cops were track and army folk. Wish I could have got that on film.
WIP

Offline Sam Dutton

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 07:11:50 PM »
I have quite a few different ways. Here they are:
1. Play games as part of a warm up and sometimes endurance training if I am with people.
2. Repititions of movements. When training with someone close to your own level it can help with motivation.
3. Picking a direction and set an amount of time, and then just run in a straight line for that time, passing over any obstacles.
4. Conditioning while by myself, I have a outline, though how many reps I do sometimes depends on how much physical work I have done that day. If I have been splitting wood or haying all day, I probably won't do so many pullups as otherwise.
5. Rock climbing or bouldering is good exercise.
6. Work on my fears, many times by finding something higher up than I usually train on.
7. I sometimes have friendly competitions with people, like seeing who can do the most pullups, or run a certain distance faster.

Offline JerryW9296

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 01:04:56 PM »
(I am aware this may go unread)  I personally play games if I have friends or if I'm alone. With friends we will play things like tag or capture the flag, tag is pretty straight forward, hardcore parkour until you catch someone, CTF however involves first stealing the flag (A bandana) out from your buddies back pocket, outrunning him while also doing whatever you can to reach good heights and going to REALLY hard to reach places and then placing the flag in an easy to see space so other traceurs may try to reach it for a cap limit of ten, a cap is anytime you capture the flag AND find it a new home, if it's stolen from you before you finish placing it in a new home, you do 10 handstand presses and crawl 100 feet or so like a bear, WHILE others are still playing the game, leaving you behind to suffer even more. When I'm alone I play games that challenge me a bit, like wall runner, where I will do any serious of moves and train like normal, but if I see a wall, any wall, for any reason, I have to try to wall run it, I know it seems sort of stupid (quick stop actually training and just run up this wall right here for no reason) however sometimes you make it to the top, climb on over and keep training. It builds leg strength and really helps to train quick reaction times, for me atleast, friends make games more fun though.

Offline Chris_Selle

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 10:31:28 AM »
My favorite training method is to incorporate flow into everything I do, even when I want to drill a single move. If I'm going to train reverse safety vaults (I'll use this vault for the examples) then I want to figure out how to flow multiple reverse safeties together. This is also a very good way to help you train vaults on both sides. If you do 3 reverse safeties on your right side in a flow run, then you need to do 3 on your left side. To really challenge yourself, you can pick 2 vaults the seemingly just don't flow together well. Then spend time drilling them and figuring out ways to make them flow together. This is a great way to get down your fundamentals and keep them fun, because they are at the core of everything. A lot of people plateau simply because they start focusing too much on the "advanced skills", and neglect the fundamentals.
APK Instructor since March 2013
Phil 4:13
Isaiah 40:31