Author Topic: Climb Leap: Any Techniques?  (Read 3758 times)

Offline Ricardo Sebastian Pino

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Climb Leap: Any Techniques?
« on: December 08, 2012, 10:51:56 PM »
The climb leap is a move featured in the Uncharted series, and in Assassin's Creed 2, Brotherhood, Revelations, and 3. It involves leaping upward from a cat position. I have searched tirelessly for a technique and have had no luck at all. I know this move is possible in real life. Ryan Doyle did it in Travel Story: Rome, and Jyoti Raju(an Indian free-climber, I presume) did it while climbing a tall stone building. He also tried it once and failed, but caught himself. Any techniques, or any ideas on how to develop a technique will be greatly appreciated.

Offline Ryan A. Vetter

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: Climb Leap: Any Techniques?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 07:55:39 AM »
Sounds like you need alot of explosive strength to pull it off. In other words upper and lower body plyometrics will aid greatly in being able to perform such a technique.
So long as I have parkour I'm okay.

Offline Russell Wilkie

• Global Moderator
  • Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 08:37:36 AM »
That sounds like a dyno. It's a rock climbing maneuver adopted by Traucers. It takes a good deal of explosive energy in your upper back muscle and legs to bring you upward from the cat grab. A technique you can do to get you started is to go into a cat grab and allow one leg to hang. Quickly bring that hanging leg upward and have it push you upward from the wall while you pull yourself with your arms.

Here's a video that helps you learn how to do the dyno without your leg hanging:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at8e-jBBU5E" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at8e-jBBU5E</a>

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 07:37:14 PM »
The dyno, huh? Alright, I'll look into it. I'm on this site on my dad's phone, so I don't know if I can watch the video you posted. I'll try. Are there any other names for it?

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 07:41:05 PM »
Can't watch the video you posted, the phone won't let me. I'll search for it on YouTube, or something.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 08:13:32 PM »
Yup! That's it! ;D I looked it up on YouTube and found a few videos on it. There are a few people who's dynos rival those of Ezio Auditore himself! I'll try to see if I can find anything in-depth on the web.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 08:37:33 PM »
@Russell I was finally able to watch the video you posted! The dyno he did was HUGE! That technique also sheds light on things. I'll try it with a lot of swing since I'm only moderately athletic at the moment. If I fail, I'll build up some strength first, then try again. I take a weightlifting class in school, so that shouldn't take me too long. Thank you so much for your help!!!

Offline Jeremiah Townsend

• Guenons
  • No comment
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 12:55:22 PM »
i also believe this is possible and think the technique is easy. the way to do it is to find two footholds while catting and pushing up explosively. if you are travelling to a point farther out than you are simply push out instead of up. the problem comes in the finish. you need to catch yourself with both hands and be ready for any loose stones or timbers that may come out. this technique would be one of the easiest to fall in and i do not recommend it as it would take enormous upper body strength to keep yourself hanging there.
The easiest way to learn to live is to learn to die.
-Tuesday's with Morrie

Offline Sam Dutton

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 02:31:11 PM »
Check all the things you use to train, so you don't have the problem of loose stones or timber. If you can find a wall with a railing at the top, that is a pretty good place to learn.