Author Topic: Silence and Skidding  (Read 1690 times)

Offline Justin Shanks

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Silence and Skidding
« on: November 25, 2012, 04:11:09 PM »
Hello fellow Gorilles,

My name is Justin and I have a question for you, well multiple (two to be precise):
1.Any tips on how to be more silent when climbing, landing, rolling and moving in general?
2.Any tips on how to stop black "skid" marks from forming when you move around? (I'm not sliding and drifting but I still create black smudges)

Also a general hello to all of us, kinda silent on this subsection forum so, yeah.
-Justin
The key to parkour (besides confidence) is diet, which is why I only eat vegetables, I recommend broccoli and a large variety of pizza.

Offline AOS

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Silence and Skidding
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 09:17:45 AM »
I never really understood the whole "silent idea" without shoes it is possible to do every movement silent but with shoes on there is literally no way of totally being silent.

Offline Ryan A. Vetter

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 12:13:38 PM »
Silence comes from strength and muscle control. The stronger, and more muscle control you have, the easier it will be to silence your movements. When landing you obviously don't slam your feet into the ground, but you do allow your legs' muscles to cushion your fall, absorbing most of the impact as the knees/ankles/waist bend through your muscles, and can further be dispersed with your hands.

From a scientific point of view, you're trying to disperse sound to low decibal ratings. You can achieve this with more (muscle) mass, and again, better muscular control. Sound and impact are directly proportionate, and the softer you land, the quieter the sound.

There's no such thing as complete silence, as this arises from vibrations, but it is possible to be extra quiet even with shoes. It's a conscious effort you have to make and will take some experimentation, but it is achievable. Isometrics would be a good place to start, to make yourself more bodily aware.
So long as I have parkour I'm okay.

Offline AOS

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 10:25:40 AM »
Understood.