Author Topic: Feet hurts while vertical wall run?  (Read 1469 times)

Offline Somik

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Feet hurts while vertical wall run?
« on: November 13, 2012, 09:22:40 AM »
Anyone had this problem before? I'm practising my wall runs but after a few tries,the feet I use to take the first step on the wall starts hurting,demoralizing me from continuing further. I'm sure I'm not doing anything horribly wrong,as the first assumption one would make upon hearing the problem is that I'm kicking the wall harder than I'm supposed to be. While this might be the potential reason,I don't think I'm hitting the wall with that much force to damage my feet for it to hurt. I've never had any real injury issues with my feet before,so I'd say my feet was in perfect condition before starting out with parkour. Any help?

Offline jeffrey

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • what's up!!! :p
    • View Profile
    • my parkour videos (1 year of training!)
Re: Feet hurts while vertical wall run?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 09:34:53 AM »
i used to have the same problem but be aware that i have been freerunning for only a year and a half but i used to sort of try to kick up to do a wall run but i realized if you just run up at leg length and put you feet foward and up you should project yourself to just go up rather than up and back. its kind of hard to explain thorugh writing but physically its rather easy. i would record you doing the wall run and see what you're doing and look at others. but i feel its foot placement and the way you pro-ject your foot
Practice.Aspiring .Respectful.Knowledge.Optimism.Unique.Rational

Offline Ryan A. Vetter

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 09:40:31 AM »
You can do what Jeffery said, but when your body aches it's because you did something wrong, or you are doing something wrong. Chances may be your bone structure isn't conditioned for this amount of pressure, or your feet aren't used enough in such a manner. You may need more caluses, but unless you define the pain nobody here can tell you what the problem is, or could be. As in, my friend gets shin splints from running, we know this because the pain is in the bone of his shin, a blunt, jabbing pain.

My point being, be more descriptive of the feet pain, it could be any number of reasons including nerve shock.

• If it's a sharp shooting pain, you're slamming your leg (fully erect) into the wall.
  • If it's a seering pain (bottom of foot), you're shocking your nerves by slamming your foot into the wall.
  • If it's a tingling sensation, you either have poor circulation or you've got gout.
  • If the pain is deeper, you're damaging your bone structure and need to condition your body more.

All-in-all, you can say you're doing it right or not, but the only thing I can say is that we don't have enough information to assist you.

Things that may help:
  • Never buckle your knees, keep them loose especially when impacting the wall.
  • Use the balls of your feet when pushing on the wall, using your heel could **** nerves and bones up.
  • Push down, not away from the wall.
  • Be sure your body is closer to the wall.

If you're doing all of these things, and you're still having pain, consult a physician, or your primary doctor before doing any more potential damage to your body.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 10:06:17 AM by Ryan Anthony Vetter »
So long as I have parkour I'm okay.

Offline Somik

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 10:05:00 AM »
You can do what Jeffery said, but when your body aches it's because you did something wrong, or you are doing something wrong. Chances may be your bone structure isn't conditioned for this amount of pressure, or your feet aren't used enough in such a manner. You may need more caluses, but unless you define the pain nobody here can tell you what the problem is, or could be. As in, my friend gets shin splints from running, we know this because the pain is in the bone of his shin, a blunt, jabbing pain.

It's definitely a bone pain,and not a joint pain in the ankles. It does have that blunt feeling to it. I can't say it hurts a lot either,just the right amount that's enough to distract me from my workout. To define the area where it hurts,i guess you could say right in front of my cuboid bones,on the right side of the feet. Above the balls of my feet if that makes any sense. ???

Offline Ryan A. Vetter

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 10:08:15 AM »
It's definitely a bone pain,and not a joint pain in the ankles. It does have that blunt feeling to it. I can't say it hurts a lot either,just the right amount that's enough to distract me from my workout. To define the area where it hurts,i guess you could say right in front of my cuboid bones,on the right side of the feet. Above the balls of my feet if that makes any sense. ???

Your arches, you shouldn't plant your whole foot on the wall, just the balls of your feet, and pushing down should be your objective, not away. If you still have pain doing this, consult a physician before doing it any more.

Offline Somik

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 08:42:01 PM »
Not on the entire arch. Upper side of the inner ball of the feet would be a better description I guess. I'm not planting the entire foot on the wall. Just the balls of the feet. That is why it hurts above the balls of the feet.

Offline Ryan A. Vetter

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 09:19:12 PM »
Like I said, contact a physician.

Offline Code Red

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 08:33:38 PM »
Only time I feel anything when freerunning...is when I fall every now and then. So, I really don't know what to say about your problem  :-[
Jesus is Lord...the rock of ages, the everlasting arms... I Parkour for the King of Kings!

Offline Somik

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 08:15:51 AM »
It's okay. It seems the pain went away automatically with time without me having to do anything. Thanks guys for your replies. I'll continue my efforts to further improve my wall-runs.