Author Topic: Breaking the Boundaries (Criticism Welcome)  (Read 16986 times)

Offline Ryan A. Vetter

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Breaking the Boundaries (Criticism Welcome)
« on: November 13, 2012, 05:21:33 PM »
I've just rounded my eighth year of parkour about two weeks ago. In those eight years I retaught myself all the basic techniques, learned new maneuvers, and conditioned my body to follow the practical. These last eight years have been most eventful, and I have forgotten how to trick! Yes, the days before parkour was added to my vocabulary, I spent time flipping to and fro, impressing my peers for the limelight.

It was not until I was showed up by an older man; well conditioned, but performing what I thought to be lame techniques; that I learned what parkour was. I demanded flips out of him like a pompous douche, and he complied more successfully than I knew could be. He then asked to play a game of "SHOES," like horse, but with a different set of letters. I said okay and let him go first, he pulled off vaults, giving me the names and explaining how hey had to be done.

The first was a kong vault, a most intimidating movement for me, the short distance over a picnic table. Alas I could not do it, and 'S' was chalked up for me, and it was his turn once more. The next movement was a dash vault, again the same way, but my body was not taught to move so, and I bailed by hurdling the table. I ate dirt and got an 'H'. His turn once again it was a precision jump over a six foot gap, I could not close the distance and made my 'O'. He chuckled and did another precision jump, this time four feet upwards! I could not believe it and tried, slamming my knees into the board I tumbled back and got an 'E'. A most devious man he then said "Try following my lache." I watched and thought, "easy," to my dismay it was not possible for my stringy arms. An 'S' ensued and his game was over.

"Why would I need to do flips when all I have to do is these vaults and other techniques?" - Man

"Because they're cool..." - Me

"They're not cool, they're arrogant and flashy, like you. Like any flash they die down eventually." - Man

"Well how can I learn those moves then?" - Me

"I'm sure your family has the internet, look up 'parkour.'" - Man

"Really?" - Me

*Shrugs shoulders and runs off* -Man

That day on I dedicated my tricking energy to reforming and learning the basic movements. By no means am I nearly as good as Danny Aroyo, David Belle, or Oleg Vorslav, but I'm good enough in my book. Eight years later and I can no longer do a flip; here I am leader of Team Tragen, a team with two members that can flip.

I believe I've made amends with my past and want to look forward. To do so, I must now expand to tricking, a book buried in the back of my skull.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Story aside, my first movements I'm looking to re-learn are the cork and the 'penny' flip. It all starts tomorrow, bright and early, and I hope for a little encouragement. Wish me luck.

- Vetter

Anyways, as a personal motivator, because I always need motivation, I'm devising a chart of "medals," aka: achievements. Things that I have done, am capable of doing, or aim to do some point down the line, with varying tiers. To quote a favourite expression, "medal got!"

Quote from: Medal
Totals:

Push-ups:
500 (Tin)
1,000 (Iron)
2,000 (Copper)
5,000 (Bronze)
10,000 (Silver)
20,000 (Gold)
50,000 (Platinum)
100,000 (Diamond)

Dips:
200 (Tin)
500 (Iron)
1,000 (Copper)
2,000 (Bronze)
5,000 (Silver)
10,000 (Gold)
20,000 (Platinum)
50,000 (Diamond)

Pull-ups:
500 (Tin)
1,000 (Iron)
2,000 (Copper)
5,000 (Bronze)
10,000 (Silver)
20,000 (Gold)
50,000 (Platinum)
100,000 (Diamond)

Sit-ups:
500 (Tin)
1,000 (Iron)
2,000 (Copper)
5,000 (Bronze)
10,000 (Silver)
20,000 (Gold)
50,000 (Platinum)
100,000 (Diamond)

Ghost-ups:
500 (Tin)
1,000 (Iron)
2,000 (Copper)
5,000 (Bronze)
10,000 (Silver)
20,000 (Gold)
50,000 (Platinum)
100,000 (Diamond)

Chin-ups:
500 (Tin)
1,000 (Iron)
2,000 (Copper)
5,000 (Bronze)
10,000 (Silver)
20,000 (Gold)
50,000 (Platinum)
100,000 (Diamond)

Pistols (Both Legs):
500 (Tin)
1,000 (Iron)
2,000 (Copper)
5,000 (Bronze)
10,000 (Silver)
20,000 (Gold)
50,000 (Platinum)
100,000 (Diamond)

Miles:
50 (Tin)
100 (Iron)
200 (Copper)
500 (Bronze)
1,000 (Silver)
2,000 (Gold)
5,000 (Platinum)
10,000 (Diamond)

Days Trained:
5(Tin)
10(Iron)
20(Copper)
50(Bronze)
100(Silver)
200(Gold)
500(Platinum)
1,000(Diamond)

Consecutive:

Push-ups:
1 (Tin)
2 (Iron)
5 (Copper)
10 (Bronze)
15 (Silver)
20 (Gold)

50 (Platinum)
100 (Diamond)

Dips:
1 (Tin)
2 (Iron)
5 (Copper)
8 (Bronze)
10 (Silver)
15 (Gold)
20 (Platinum)
50 (Diamond)

Pull-ups:
1 (Tin)
2 (Iron)
5 (Copper)

8 (Bronze)
10 (Silver)
15 (Gold)
20 (Platinum)
50 (Diamond)

Sit-ups:
1 (Tin)
2 (Iron)
5 (Copper)
10 (Bronze)
20 (Silver)

50 (Gold)
75 (Platinum)
100 (Diamond)

Ghost-ups:
1 (Tin)
2 (Iron)
5 (Copper)
10(Bronze)
15 (Silver)
20 (Gold)
35 (Platinum)
50 (Diamond)

Chin-ups:
1 (Tin)
2 (Iron)
5 (Copper)
8 (Bronze)
10 (Silver)
15 (Gold)
20 (Platinum)
50 (Diamond)

Pistols (Both Legs):
1 (Tin)
2 (Iron)

5 (Copper)
8 (Bronze)
10 (Silver)
15 (Gold)
20 (Platinum)
50 (Diamond)

Miles (Ran/Jogged):
.25 (Tin)
.5 (Iron)
1 (Copper)

2 (Bronze)
3 (Silver)
4 (Gold)
5 (Platinum)
10 (Diamond)

Days Trained:
1(Tin)
7(Iron)
14(Copper)
30(Bronze)
60(Silver)

180(Gold)
365(Platinum)
1,825(Diamond)

Parkour (Basics):

Safety Rolls:
5 total (Tin)
10 total (Iron)
20 total (Copper)
50 total (Bronze)
100 total (Silver)
200 total (Gold)
500 total (Platinum)
1,000 total (Diamond)

Precision Jumps (Up):
1 inch (Tin)
3 in. (Iron)
6 in. (Copper)
1 foot (Bronze)
2 ft. (Silver)
3 ft. (Gold)
4 ft. (Platinum)
5 ft. (Diamond)

Precision Jumps (Level):
2 ft. (Tin)
3 ft. (Iron)
4 ft. (Copper)
5 ft. (Bronze)
6 ft. (Silver)
7 ft. (Gold)
8 ft. (Platinum)
10 ft. (Diamond)

Cat-leaps:
5 total (Tin)
10 total (Iron)
20 total (Copper)
50 total (Bronze)
100 total (Silver)
200 total (Gold)
500 total (Platinum)
1,000 total (Diamond)

Milestones:

Planche (Cheese)
One-armed push-up (Both Arms) (Cheese)
One-armed pull-up (Both Arms) (Cheese)
One-armed chin-up (Both Arms) (Cheese)
Superman Push-up (Cheese)
Pistol hop (Both Legs) (Cheese)
Muscle-up (Cheese)
Kong to Pre (must be exact) (Cheese)
Kong to Cat (No touching floors) (Cheese)

So, the concept is that I can at max, only get one "Medal" a day. If I achieve more than one I must choose one of those. Medal concept:

Tin is supposed to be simple, only the severely out-of-shape couldn't do these.
Iron is supposed to be simple, with just a little more oomph.
Copper is like Iron, but with more moxy, to try a little more.
Bronze is the precious colour, driving the participant to actually put in serious effort, some easier than others.
Silver is intended to be along that serious effort, with extra salt, the realistic goal.
Gold is the ideal point of exercise, the point where most would say good enough.
Platinum is the point of pushing one to the thresh-hold, where they venture beyond any vision.
Diamond would be the ultimate goal, virtually unachievable (But that's just virtual right?) Right! So one must venture beyond one's self to attain such a feat.

Cheese, it's a one time a-cheese-ment.

I'll add more for parkour/exercise, as my attention is called to it.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 02:37:39 PM by Ryan A. Vetter »
So long as I have parkour I'm okay.

Offline Dustin Combs

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: Breaking the Boundaries (Criticism Welcome)
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 08:49:07 PM »
Posting to follow this journey. I wish you luck, and just know that you got what it takes. :)

Fancy story, btw :P I don't like how the many said they we're arrogant though... people's movements are people's movements. imo.

Offline Ryan A. Vetter

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 03:46:48 PM »
Posting to follow this journey. I wish you luck, and just know that you got what it takes. :)

Fancy story, btw :P I don't like how the many said they we're arrogant though... people's movements are people's movements. imo.
Perhaps, but I was in fact arrogant and naive. If not for him I would probably have gotten hurt badly at this point.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Anyways, I landed a couple corks, but I'm not getting as much rotation as I'd like. Also couldn't pull off a penny flip, I did more twisting than flipping. On the positive side I got a palm-spin down almost immediately, trying to convert it to a wall spin.

Tomorrow I'm going to try and focus on the same things, but more on my palm spin so I can get the wall spin.

Offline Ryan A. Vetter

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 08:04:54 PM »
Well I pushed it a bit more tonight; ended up working on an Aerial and wall-spin. Pretty close on the wall spin, I'd give it a couple more days. The aerial was close as well, I'd give it a couple more weeks. Also worked on my cork, much more improvement from earlier today; alot of credit to muscle confusion/memory.

Offline Dustin Combs

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 11:12:16 PM »
May I ask what exactly a penny flip is?
I keep getting people tossing pennies into the air and catching them... -___- lololol

Offline Ryan A. Vetter

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 08:31:20 AM »
May I ask what exactly a penny flip is?
I keep getting people tossing pennies into the air and catching them... -___- lololol
Haha, no, it's a half back-flip. Ie: you hang from a bar by your knee joints, and swing yourself backwards to land on your feet. It helps me cope with being upside down. A nickle flip is the same but it's half a front-flip, so it's trickier.

Offline Ryan A. Vetter

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 03:35:26 PM »
Did a Penny flip, a little too much so; had so much swing fell back on my ass.

I'm at a point with my aerial where my finger tips are just touching the ground.

My obliques were killing me today on the account I did too much palm/wallspinning yesterday.

Offline Ryan A. Vetter

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 03:21:02 PM »
Considerable progress on my aerial, I landed 100% today, but the aerial wasn't in full. Daddled about with my palm spins and ran somwhere around 5 miles. I also managed a penny flip today, which made my day. Did another set of ghost-ups. Today was relatively successful, but ended short when some children started cursing at me. I don't have tolerance for the youth of insipid parents sadly.

Offline Ryan A. Vetter

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 03:15:05 PM »
Weird day, I ran my usual half-mile for my warm-up, but for whatever reason my body just didn't feel the flow... My kong vaults were vastly greater and more fluent than ever before; my palm-spins were not. I think this has to do with something from last night, causing a displacement of my soul.

Offline Ryan A. Vetter

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 09:26:31 AM »
Got a puncture wound today while I was doing a hand-spring, sliced my hand too... shitty.

Offline Ryan A. Vetter

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 10:50:19 AM »
So I got my flow back... somehow. Never was a fan of out-of-body experiences. Anywhoseles, didn't really practice tricks, mainly because of my left palm. On the other hand I did practice my precision jumps. I'm still jumping upwards at four feet, and I'm estimating roughly 7.5 feet forward, dramatic difference from last year, where it was six feet. All things considered, I'm proud since I'm only 5.5 feet tall.

Offline Ryan A. Vetter

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 03:41:36 PM »
I split my wound open today, I was doing a lache just a little too fast and blood squirted, like Spiderman's web, only red, and not as useful. I painted some sand today.

Offline Ryan A. Vetter

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 02:30:07 PM »
I worked on my Kong vault mostly, that and my precision jump, both of which are getting better quickly. I'm getting better form for both of them, to my surprise dramatic difference from yesterday. I kind gave up on tricks I guess, my friends and I concurred we were getting old for the new wave stuff. He skate-boards and only does old tricks, he says it's kind of late for him to learn how to do stairs. I told him it was a little late foor me to learn every trick, but he said,

"You're so good at the old-school stuff, and you're getting better every time we meet up. Why in the hell would you want something new?"

I suppose he's right, I do show improvement, alot, even though it's been eight years of the building blocks. A couple days ago I showed my dad a video of me practicing. He was impressed by the amount of skill it should take one to perform any of the basic movements, and even asked me if it was a sport. I said yeah, and told him about my team. He was glad that I found a sport I enjoyed and asked why I never told them about it before. All I could say was that it wasn't popular. Now he's offering to sponsor me for events, just so I can make the most fun of my talent.

Long story short, I'm probably going to quit once I get my Front-flip and Back-flip back. After the Aerial and Wall-spin, tricks will pretty much be dead to me, I'll only work on those few.

Offline Ryan A. Vetter

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 04:59:41 PM »
Well, it was very foggy and damp out tonight. I avoided practicing my craft, but I did run 2 miles, did 20 ghost-ups, and 10 pull-ups. All this in front of a group of high school students, who didn't mock me for a change.

Offline Ryan A. Vetter

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 07:33:27 PM »
Triple practice overall today, I suppose I can't get enough practice lately.

Offline Ryan A. Vetter

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2012, 02:54:08 PM »
Well, didn't practice, besides one Kong Vault... What I did do makes up for it though. I ended up running 1.75 miles to a therapy session, and 1.75 miles back. All things considered, I ran 2.5 miles and that's alot living in the Kettle Moraine. Also ran .5 miles to make it an even number. Did 10 pull-ups and 10 ghost-ups, also did some drumming today. If you don't know that's a killer upper-body work-out.

Good day over-all.

Offline Ryan A. Vetter

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2012, 06:16:03 PM »
Just when I thought I was done I ended up going back out... wtf? My mid-section is killing me now, and my voice is faded.

Offline Ryan A. Vetter

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2012, 12:17:52 PM »
Today's Thanksgiving, but that's no reason to stop. Pumped out a mile and 10 pull-ups and ghost ups, probably do some more later pending the weather.

Offline Ryan A. Vetter

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2012, 08:24:56 PM »
Did some sprints today, but that was it. Relatively busy, plus the weather was below freezing with gusts up to 30 mph.

Offline jay_22_15

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2012, 05:49:07 AM »
good story first post.

nice job working out in crappy weather.

The spring time it'll be obvious who worked on cardio all winter and who didn't.