Author Topic: Stuck in the snow...  (Read 4242 times)

Offline Haiiro

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Stuck in the snow...
« on: April 12, 2007, 05:25:53 AM »
I live in a small town outside of Minneapolis and we just got a bunch of snow. Now with all the ice, running is dangerous and out of the question. I don't own a pull-up bar and no tree or anything is low enough for me to do a pull-up so I am unable to do those. I don't own any excercise equipment nor can I afford any. Besides waiting for the snow to melt in 3 weeks(maybe), what do ya'll suggest I do?

Offline Skinny

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Owner of Fight or Flight Academy in Edina MN
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck in the snow...
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 05:52:55 AM »
There are a lot of exercises you can do without any equpiment besides your body. First, you have your basic push ups and sit ups and every variation they have (move your hands closer or farther, fingertips, diamond etc,). Squats are excellent, just make sure you have proper technique.

Bah, why am I talking so much? http://www.americanparkour.com/content/category/5/25/223/ go there, it's a link on the mainpage, lotsa good techniques and exercises.

ps, check out the minnesota forum, I'm from Minneapolis.
MNPK - Covered in snow most of the year but the ground is always lava

Minnesota's first parkour and freerunning gym www.fightorflightacademy.com

Offline whiteninja

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 07:00:46 PM »
If you can spare about $8-10...
http://www.americanparkour.com/content/view/892/285/
Its the simplest and most cost effective equipment you can get.

If you can spare about $30, these are the next most effective things you can get...
http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,3547.0.html
(and they are used in the majority of the exercises listed in the previous post)

Don't think of wasting your money on stuff like a Bowflex or a treadmill though. Those ARE wastes.

Offline Max G

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 06:30:27 AM »
Paralletes are probably the most effective thing you could buy/make. You can do so many core and upper body exercises; i think you could also get a doorway pull up bar;14$ from Dick's sports; with paralletes and a pull up bar you've pretty much got the complete bodyweight home gym

Gearsighted

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 04:56:43 AM »
I second previous comments...parallettes, pull-up bar (cheap!) and lots of burpees!

I wouldn't totally forget about training in the snow/ice, though...just be careful, but keep in mind that Parkour is about adaptation to obstacles, of which the snow seems to be a relatively common one!

Here's a great pic from Crossfit a couple of months back:

Offline BobT

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 06:41:39 AM »
Having become intimitely familiar with running in snow and ice this past winter, I can give the following advice.  Running on icy roads or sidewalks is no fun, but running on icy trails isn't that bad (if you're careful).  Ice on trails is usually pretty broken up, so you can probably get good footing.

Also running in soft snow is a tough workout - you'll feel like you went 3X farther (at least I did).

The caveat is to have trail running shoes with a decent tread - street running shoes wouldn't work.

Offline OmahaBeef

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 09:56:21 PM »
I live in a small town outside of Minneapolis and we just got a bunch of snow. Now with all the ice, running is dangerous and out of the question. I don't own a pull-up bar and no tree or anything is low enough for me to do a pull-up so I am unable to do those. I don't own any excercise equipment nor can I afford any. Besides waiting for the snow to melt in 3 weeks(maybe), what do ya'll suggest I do?

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but if you really want to run, just go run in the snow. I ran pretty much year round in high school (winter included). I guess I don't know what kind of area you live in, but if you live in a city finding sidewalks and roads that are cleared shouldn't be a problem. (I realize that at this point it shouldn't be a problem now that its early August, but I just thought I'd post so that other people wondering about running in the snow next winter could be reminded that winter is no excuse to stop running  ;D.)

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 02:20:38 AM »
Did you say SNOW & ICE?

You obviously haven't seen this yet:

http://www.whiteparkourvideo.com/trailer/

http://www.whiteparkourvideo.com

Offline fr33runner

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 04:32:20 PM »
Yeah i know what you mean I am from bemidji MN Which is about 4 hours away and since I dont live in the city there isnt much to do in the winter :'( Lol just improvise and adapt thats all I can say
-Fr33Runner

Offline Corey Cedeno

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 07:03:06 AM »
That's probably one of the most ballzy vid's I've seen.  I can't wait to try some stuff if it snows this winter.