Author Topic: Is 21 too old to become an expert at parkour and free running?  (Read 7736 times)

Offline 7Erik7

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • A CALL TO ARMS
Re: Is 21 too old to become an expert at parkour and free running?
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2012, 09:14:59 AM »
An important sidenote, is that becoming an expert in parkour isn’t simply just a matter of doing ‘tricks’ and performing for the media or uploading videos on youtube. If that was the case then world champion gymnasts would easily be parkour experts.  If you want to become a freerunning expert there is more than that. As with any discipline you must study it. If you do you will realize that there are far more skills to master than a few more tricks. Parkour requires a lot of dedication and hard work and if you want to stay in the game for a long time then there are no shortcuts, only very hard training, so you must be prepared to invest a lot of time in it.

If you start comparing yourself to others all the time then it will do no good to you, because there will always be someone that is better than you in one way or another, and most people will have different backgrounds in sports and focus on different aspects in freerunning. There is no one that is superior in all aspects in parkour.

So really, I’d suggest that you start off by training purely for the enjoyment of training. Because that’s in the end what it all boils down to: to truly love what you’re doing.

Offline Spencer Young

• Mangabey
  • The Jack of all Trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2012, 08:48:40 AM »
An important sidenote, is that becoming an expert in parkour isn’t simply just a matter of doing ‘tricks’ and performing for the media or uploading videos on youtube. If that was the case then world champion gymnasts would easily be parkour experts.  If you want to become a freerunning expert there is more than that. As with any discipline you must study it. If you do you will realize that there are far more skills to master than a few more tricks. Parkour requires a lot of dedication and hard work and if you want to stay in the game for a long time then there are no shortcuts, only very hard training, so you must be prepared to invest a lot of time in it.

If you start comparing yourself to others all the time then it will do no good to you, because there will always be someone that is better than you in one way or another, and most people will have different backgrounds in sports and focus on different aspects in freerunning. There is no one that is superior in all aspects in parkour.

So really, I’d suggest that you start off by training purely for the enjoyment of training. Because that’s in the end what it all boils down to: to truly love what you’re doing.

I agree 100% with this statement
WIP

Offline Dustin Combs

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2012, 07:19:02 AM »
I feel like most people have forgotten this... I like what you said a lot. Very inspirational.

Offline BearMills

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Grizzly
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2013, 10:19:34 AM »
I feel like most people have forgotten this... I like what you said a lot. Very inspirational.

Co-Founder

Offline Corey Henderson

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2013, 02:37:26 PM »
well i say hell no im 13 and i see 21 as young GO HAVE FUN !  ;D

Offline Kim Martin

• Patas
  • More to see, More to do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2013, 12:46:18 AM »
I'm 37 I started training about two years ago, and I'm overwhieght. Age doesn't matter, wheight doesn't matter. What matters is you train and have fun.