Author Topic: Death of so-called "Parkour girl"  (Read 6661 times)

Offline Oliver Wegner

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Death of so-called "Parkour girl"
« on: September 15, 2012, 12:46:11 PM »
"Russian 'parkour' girl, 24, falls 17 storeys to her death after building jump goes horribly wrong"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2154373/Russian-parkour-girl-24-falls-17-storeys-death-building-jump-goes-horribly-wrong.html

The title of this article should probably make you feel sorry for the girl, but the first thing I thought when i read it was: "Falling 17 storeys? PARKOUR girl? What the f#ck?!"
Then, after reading the whole article, I wasn't sure if I should feel sorry for her or not, but I was definitely angry about how our beautiful sport is presented.
Some quotes that especially annoyed me:

"The men demonstrated their parkour skills, jumping from the roof"
- Yes, jumping from a LOW roof CAN be a part of Parkour, but jumps like these are just madness.

"Last week a dangerous stunt video emerged of a Russian teenager grabbing a live electrical cable on a train."
- Why is a DANGEROUS STUNT video mentioned in the same paragraph that describes Parkour?

And the best rated comment: "Silly sport and a waste of a human life ! Gross stupidity." shows that the readers actually believe this is something that happens regularly among practitioners. How is such a wrong image created and what (apart from practicing carefully and sensibly) can we do to restore it?

Offline Darius Gray Curry

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Death of so-called "Parkour girl"
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 07:48:01 AM »
Not to mention the very first sentence of the article,

"A 24-year-old plunged 17 storeys to her death during her first parkour lesson,"

First lesson? Good god. Sorry, maybe I'm being harsh...but really, if it was her first lesson...then she was just plain stupid, end of story. Even experienced traceurs (At least the smart ones) would not take a jump like that. I say, she deserves a Darwin award for that one.
"Welcome to the Bridge of Insanity, Feel Free to Jump,"

Offline Sam Dutton

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 11:23:22 AM »
I wouldn't try that myself, let alone let someone that isn't like twice as experienced as myself try it. That is not a lesson at all.  A first lesson is learning how to land from a jump on the ground. Saying that parkour is to blame for this is like...no, I can't even compare it to anything.

Offline Luke Santore

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 11:39:56 AM »
Ignorance at its best!
10 push ups per post
Parkour= Monkey see, monkey do.
Quote from: Joe Brock
If it's shaking the shake weight, I'm not sure...but I'd shake that thing like I meant to turn on Elton John.