Author Topic: Starting over, finally. 365 days of PK  (Read 3155 times)

Offline Brandan Mendenhall

• Hirundo Rustica
  • [est. 1988]
    • View Profile
    • Arizona Parkour
Starting over, finally. 365 days of PK
« on: September 06, 2012, 04:55:27 PM »
Finally! It's been 2 years, and that's way too long. I still struggle with staying motivated, but after reading a few blogs of people I respect in the community, I'm ready to jump back in, and never leave again. Plus, I love this forum! So boom, waited for my cat to photobomb my webcam, updated my profile, and I'm good to go.

So, after reading this dude's blog, I was inspired to make it a 365 day Parkour training extravaganza. I wanted to get this posted before I started so I wouldn't have an excuse not to, so I shall update in a couple hours or so  :D It looks like it might rain soon too, which would be so awesome! :3
Your obstacle is my shortcut.

• Hirundo Rustica
  • [est. 1988]
    • View Profile
    • Arizona Parkour
Re: Starting over, finally. 365 days of PK
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 06:56:37 PM »
Day 1

Turns out it wasn't rain, just a dumb ol' haboob. Since I've never trained around this area I live in now, I spent the first 25-30 minutes just jogging/walking around, rubbing sand out of my eyes and looking for training spots. It felt good to have the PK vision on again.

I managed to stumble on a few good spots; some walls of various heights, a few parking lot precision spots. I took pictures (for the memory, mostly) which I'll post  later.

I spent probably 15 minutes in each area, setting and completing goals before moving on. 15 precisions in a row, cat-walking the length of that long wall, incorporate a light jog before vaults for flow practice, etc etc.

Right away I could tell I wasn't sure of my footing, so I took it easy on the vaults, only practicing vaults I was 100% confident in: lazys (lazies? >.>), thiefs (...thieves?),and monkey-almost-kong vaults. I tried to jog from spot to spot, and actually managed to do it a couple times, haha.

It was very humbling, discovering how out of shape and practice I am, but I can't wait for tomorrow. I forgot what it felt like to be out there; sweat dripping in my eyes, hands rough from the stucco walls, blowing snot rockets when the wind causes my allergies to act up. It is truly, truly amazing.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 07:53:06 PM by Brandan Mendenhall »

Offline Ryan

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 07:54:15 AM »
Way to go bro! The hardest part is getting back in the swing of things! It sounds like you have a promising start, so keep it up!
" Yo, she-bitch...Come get sum!"

• Hirundo Rustica
  • [est. 1988]
    • View Profile
    • Arizona Parkour
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 07:32:51 PM »
Way to go bro! The hardest part is getting back in the swing of things! It sounds like you have a promising start, so keep it up!

Thank you, sir or madam!

Day 2

Today worked out kind of weird. I had to work a little later than usual, and as soon as I got home my wife called me. I don't get to talk to her very often these days, so of course the conversation was pretty long, and I ended up with just over an hour before I had other plans, and I still had to clean the place up. I would, of course, postpone my other plans in lieu of doing some Parkour, but I challenged mysellf to do both, without having to postpone anything.

So I just stayed in my apartment. I picked up the clutter as normal, , which took a good half hour, but I QM'd to each location. There was a lot of scrubbing involved, and I tried not to rest while I was doing anything; I would balance myself on one hand and one foot, for example.

When I was finished cleaning, I did some more QM, working on flow, changing direction a lot and incorporating a lot of rolling. A LOT of rolling. I really hope my downstairs neighbor doesn't hate me X:

Anywho, this is basically what I did for the full hour. I QM'd the crap out of my apartment, spider-walking, frog-standing, rolling, etc. If I had to stand up, I tried to only use one leg, and when I got to a standing position, I balanced on one foot's tippy toes. Just for fun, mostly, but it helped my balance a bit. I'm still feeling pretty unsure of my body, so I'm not doing anything crazy, just keepin' it basic (: Cooled down with some yoga and called it a night!

I think I may get out of bed early tomorrow and start the day off right, but we'll see how that actually turns out, haha. My roommate was talking about playing basketball in the morning, which would be a decent workout for me as well.

• Hirundo Rustica
  • [est. 1988]
    • View Profile
    • Arizona Parkour
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 01:41:13 PM »
Ugh, had to come into work today, so no PK this morning :/

My legs are sore from all that QM yesterday, so I'll probably work on vault progressions and maybe handstands later today, with a little QM mixed in, in the form of cat walks, etc.

• Hirundo Rustica
  • [est. 1988]
    • View Profile
    • Arizona Parkour
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 06:39:57 AM »
Day 3 - 09/09/12

Oops! Didn't have a chance to get to a computer yesterday to update. I did skip Saturday, and I don't feel good about it :/  I just could not motivate myself to get out there for some reason.

But anywho, I did get outside yesterday for an hour and a half or so. I jog-walked in a different direction than I'm used to, and actually found a few good spots. I got a lot of vault/flow practice in, did a TON of handstand work, and found two long 2x4's in the desert which I used for a lot of precisions of various lengths. I also messed around in an empty parking lot, using the covered parking area for pull-ups and such.

I stumbled across a really nice cat leap that I'm anxious to try; I didn't quite feel comfortable with the distance yesterday, especially since there was 2 feet of water at the bottom. I'm going to try it at the end of this week, I think.

As for today: bleh. I'm having the worst allergy attack of my life right now, which kept me up a lot last night. I'm still stoked to train tonight though!

• Hirundo Rustica
  • [est. 1988]
    • View Profile
    • Arizona Parkour
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 08:22:49 PM »
UUUUUUUGH. I had this huge post typed out, but I lost all of it. I don't know who designed my laptop and put the trackpad THAT close to where my hand rests, but... I think I want to punch him in the mouth.

Anyway, Day 4 was awesome. I'll re-update... eventually >.>

• Hirundo Rustica
  • [est. 1988]
    • View Profile
    • Arizona Parkour
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 07:14:07 AM »
Day 5

Woke up at 7:00 AM today to trudge through the pouring rain and hit the gym. Felt so good! I only had time for squats and bench press (which I'd never tried before today; another fear conquered!), 'cause I gotta head off to work. So psyched for Parkour later!

Edit: Pretty chill night tonight. I blasted through  a ton of precisions, focusing a lot on form. Worked on a few muscle-up negatives, a ton of QM (mostly cat walks along walls), and a ton of running between training spots, alternating jogging with sprinting.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 08:26:32 PM by Brandan Mendenhall »

Offline Travis Graves

• Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Primal Fitness
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 04:01:28 PM »
Good luck man, I hope you stick with your 365! 

i think i was the first to do the 365 and completed it in 2011. If you have any questions or hay cool stories or whatever i'd love to hear it!
Do you have any videos about your 365?   
Ive got all 12 months on youtube on the APK channel and TemeculaParkour's channel

This is Jimmy Davidson by the way.. not Travis haha 
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 04:04:16 PM by Travis Graves »
Don't step to me with your stats and your date smarts

You know your neighborhood by street signs or landmarks?

Offline Luke Santore

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 07:03:16 AM »
I'll be following your journal! Good luck!
10 push ups per post
Parkour= Monkey see, monkey do.
Quote from: Joe Brock
If it's shaking the shake weight, I'm not sure...but I'd shake that thing like I meant to turn on Elton John.

Offline JimmyD-TPK

• Patas
  • jimmy -Temecula Parkour
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 10:12:14 PM »
Im guessing things didn't go to well here.
-insert something insperational here- 

Temecula Parkour + youtube = goodtime