Author Topic: Am I too old/big to do this?  (Read 1660 times)

Offline Chris Kim

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Am I too old/big to do this?
« on: August 23, 2012, 08:53:45 PM »
Don't know if this is the right place to put this so please correct me if I am wrong!!! Hi traceurs, how are you all doing?!  I am 25 which is probably ancient dinosaur age on this forum and I saw a parkour competition on TV for the first time about a week ago and I got addicted and have been looking online for more info on this. THIS is the sport I wish I had heard of when I was growing up! I've played basketball and football most of my life but THIS is the real deal right here! There's lots of schools where i live but I want to know if I even have a chance? I go to the gym regularly im in good shape but not anywhere near great shape.  I am 6'2" and 205lbs decent muscle definition but no six or even four pack but can take a whole lot of pain without flinching. Is it possible for me?

Offline Quentin Serling

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Am I too old/big to do this?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 02:06:17 AM »
There are two groups you should look at.  Gorilla PK and 30+ traceurs.

Offline Nihility

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 08:30:07 AM »
you're never too old or too big! I started parkour about a year and a half ago with absolutely no athletic background (except a little skateboarding) and well over 200 lbs (with pretty much none of it being muscle) and I have been improving just as much as my more athletic training buddies if not more. And that's what parkour is about to me, the improvement. So definitely give it a go!

Offline Chris Kim

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 09:46:16 AM »
^ awesome, that is really inspiring! Thanks, needed to hear it. I am going to give it a shot!

Offline Daniel

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 01:00:08 PM »
Chris as a side note 200 is nothing I got my friend who was 300 pounds to try a kong vault didn't work for him but eh
6 challenges completed
No retreat, no surrender. If the obstacle is too big or hard push yourself to overcome it - Me

Offline Will

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 03:17:47 PM »
I am 26 years old, and I try to train every day. 

The only fitness related hobby I had before PK was mountain biking.  Now I run 5 days a week, and practice different moves along the way.  I also do weights now, not for fitness or to show off (like most people who do weights!)  but for conditioning, as I'm sure you'll find out you need plenty of that for this discipline :)

It is primarily a young mans discipline, but IMO only because the younger folk have been exposed to it, through the net or walking the street at night and seeing other traucers practicing, etc.  I'm pretty sure if more people knew how much fun and rewarding PK is a lot more older folk like you and me would practice!  Also, as a form of fitness, I'm sure you will be surprised how many calories training will burn.  Have a look at this  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXv8Dk78r0k

Offline Chris Kim

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 08:50:45 PM »
awesome video, that was inspiring :)

thanks a lot for the encouragement guys! When I was in my teens I did snowboarding and also practiced doing tricks with skateboards/roller blades/bikes so this kind of thing is in my genes. But as I got older none of my friends did that stuff anymore so I stopped too and thought I "grew out of it". But finding parkour is really bringing me back to those days despite my age and not being in good shape anymore. Happy to get the encouragement from you guys! I will definitely get myself conditioned again as best I can and be out joining you on the streets :)

Offline Alex Patterson

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 07:05:55 AM »
I'm 35 yo. I've been  working on this for a couple years. And its great. True I haven't progressed like a 15 year old would but that's more because of work and kids and house and cars. Not because of my age.

And I agree with Will. The younger crowd has had the internet to be exposed to Parkour. When I  was 15 the internet was barely even a toy. It was a bigger pain in the ass to get on then it  was worth and there was no videos up on it. So unless you knew someone that practiced, we had no intro to it.

So I say get out and train. Don't let ANYTHING stop you!

Offline Will

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 03:52:27 PM »
I'm 35 yo. I've been  working on this for a couple years. And its great. True I haven't progressed like a 15 year old would but that's more because of work and kids and house and cars. Not because of my age.

And I agree with Will. The younger crowd has had the internet to be exposed to Parkour. When I  was 15 the internet was barely even a toy. It was a bigger pain in the ass to get on then it  was worth and there was no videos up on it. So unless you knew someone that practiced, we had no intro to it.

So I say get out and train. Don't let ANYTHING stop you!

^  What he said :)  When I was 15 I had a dial up connection and uploading wasnt even invented ;D  There are also plenty of people on here that will help you if you struggle with getting a technique right, or need help with a specific move!

About the big guy in the video, I am not even half the size of him and I couldnt do a B twist as perfectly as that!

Keep practicing, keep training, keep your passion and you will get there :)

Offline John Bedsole

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 01:50:36 AM »
I'm 25 too and love pk

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 12:37:34 AM »
I started training four and a half years ago when I was 28.  Parkour has taken me all over the country and through it I've met some of the coolest people I know.  You're not too old, you're not too big.  Parkour is for anyone willing to put in the work.  Get out there, meet people, ask for help, train hard, start small, and progress safely. 

You won't regret it.