Author Topic: A funny thing happened...  (Read 3856 times)

Evocati

A funny thing happened...
« on: April 01, 2007, 08:02:29 PM »
...on the way to the forum...

I finally got a chance to log in!  Thanks M2 for getting the registrations squared away.  I used to run bulletin boards back in the days of dial-up before the internet, so I know what it can be like.

I've been itching to get online here because I turned 40 a couple of weeks ago.  So, in response to the moderator, yes we are out there.

A bit about me:

Currently serving in Baghdad with the US Army.  Joined up a couple of years ago to do my part, and deal with some demons from my past.  Enough on that.

As far as athletic background:  I've run triathlons, power lifted, martial arts, rubgy, trail running, mountain biking, kayaking, climbing, you name it.  I'm in decent shape for an "older" guy, with no history of major injuries. 

Found Crossfit a couple of months ago to help me stay fit out here, and was tracking the Crossfit WOD until February.  Knew about Parkour and was intrigued.  Heard Jesse Woody's interview on Crossfit Live.  I've been following the American Parkour WOD ever since, about a month now.  My posts on the WOD are always a day behind because of the time difference.

Not much chance to actually do Parkour out here, but I find that the Parkour/Crossfit workouts are well suited to the military fitness goal.  Body armor and kit weighs about 50# or so.  I don't recommend a roll in a vest with ESAPI plates!

My goal when I get done here, in about six months, is to take some down time and the Parkour specific fitness and go out and jam in my home state of Colorado. 

Before that I may have leave and take it in DC so I can get some basics in with Primal Fitness and the American Parkour trainers.

That's enough for now.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 01:22:58 AM by Evocati »

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
Re: A funny thing happened...
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 10:18:38 PM »
I'm glad you could finally log in. We have a lot of parkour people out here in CO so get in touch when you finally make it back here! Good luck with your training for now.

Evocati

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 05:52:16 AM »
Demon:

Thanks for the invite.  I will most certainly take you up on that offer.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 11:17:46 AM »
Finally can post in the forums! Thanks M2, for fixing it, and Demon, too.

Evocati, sounds like you keep pretty active. I tried a little PK with a light pack the other day. Everything shifting around made even the easiest vaults much more difficult. How much gear do you have to PK in?

I can see where PK moves could help get you escape from a hairy situation, or provide you with an unexpected approach... what are some other situations where PK skills come in useful for you?

What are some other challenges to PK in Iraq?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 01:15:32 PM by btay »

Offline dwellens

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 07:34:41 PM »
Evocati,

Thank you for your service.
I can't even imagine attempting any kind of roll with 50 extra pounds of ANYTHING. 
You're fortunate with your extensive activity history to have survived relatively injury free.  I just turned 55, bodysurf and shoot hoops everyday, and have been able to survive without a single broken bone--so far anyway.
I don't know what PK moves you will be able to attempt "fully armored", but off duty times can be made to play.  Keep it fun, and keep safe.

Thanks again--you're in our prayers.
Be careful & have fun.

Evocati

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 11:02:36 PM »
Just for fun I tried a roll in my IBA (individual body armor)...

Not fun  :(

The hard plates protect me from the rocks and such, but it still hurts, and having a helmet on your head changes your kinesthetic sense of where you are in the world.  Not to mention hanging onto a rife at the same time.

So yes, it's a de-stressor in my training that keeps me out of the gym, and helps to mix it up.  And it's something to look forward to so that I can be only slightly less-coordinated when I get back to the U.S. and do this to celebrate my freedom...

The bottom line is, use it or lose it.  No reason to get old before your time, right?