Author Topic: I know you're out there ...  (Read 7528 times)

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
I know you're out there ...
« on: August 29, 2006, 10:24:34 AM »
So why not pop in and say "Hi"?

So far we've heard from 2 people in the 40+ bracket, and I have to tell you how absolutelty inspiring it is!!

As much as society tells us that we shouldn't jump over railings, it CERTANILY says that 40 year olds don't belong in playgrounds, but WHY NOT?

If you've been reluctant to post in here, consider this an invitation, in fact, a request, we'd love to hear from you, what motivates you, and how you incporporate fitness, play, and parkour into your life.

Thanks!
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
Re: I know you're out there ...
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 11:40:39 PM »
I know of quite a few 30+ in CO. Maybe you should bump the limit down?

Offline Pat Kerby

• Guenons
  • To old to Parkour
    • View Profile
    • www.kerbybrothers.com
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 10:26:15 AM »
I'm here.  I don't know anyone else my age into this stuff.  In fact, most people my age can't do a single pullup.  But I can't compare myself to them, i have to compete with a younger crowd.  My son is 16 and is developing some crazy skills, and I'm trying to keep up.  Keeps me young.
Director of "Essence of The Force" at www.kerbybrothers.com, and "Fightscenes For Motion Pictures" at www.kbproducts.com

Offline haris

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 06:22:38 AM »
Not over 40, but over 30 here... Fairly new to parkour, but have been active all my life, even competed at World Championships few times in a different sport. As this summer's coming to an end and with it my paddling season I was looking for ways to stay out of the gym as much as possible over the winter but get real workouts. Found parkour. So far I've been working on basic skills and abilities, trying to take the gym strength and apply it outside. It's amazing how different it is doing pullups on a proper bar at the gym vs. a tree branch or hanging of a ledge...
I'm also very impressed by Parkour community , it's organization and it's openess to newbies.

Offline dwellens

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 06:15:57 PM »
In what sport did you compete in the World Championships and what kind of paddling are you referring to?
Be careful & have fun.

Offline haris

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 05:43:52 AM »
Refer to paddling as in paddling a canoe, outrigger mostly, but dragonboat as well. Went to worlds in dragonboat...

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 04:27:14 PM »
Very cool, welcome aboard Haris! Let me know if you have any training q's, I'd be happy to help out.
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline haris

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 06:34:59 AM »
Thanks M2.
So far all of my questions have been answered just by reading stuff you guys have on this site. It's great.
Still have some racing left this year so I've been running and working on my landings mostly and trying to do as many WODs as possible. My lower body doesn't get much muscle stimulation during the summer, as my sport is seated, so I'm kind of behind the curve for some stuff. Some stuff is easy. Makiing progress though, slowly but surely.

Offline Clint

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • In which the bookish bohemian learns to exercise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006, 07:39:23 AM »
I'm brand-new to pretty much anything fitness-oriented.  The only thing I've had going for me is a career that involves highly aerobic exercise.  But I realise that's not enough.  Over the winter, I hope to modify my diet and begin conditioning, then start in on freerunning in earnest come spring.  The only reason I'm holding off on the diet and conditioning is that I'm having a rocky recovery from extended illness.  It's kind of made me realise how important a regular exercise regimen is for maintaining health.

So, hi. :-)
Clint, 32

Offline dwellens

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006, 04:47:19 AM »
Welcome Clint,

Hope this finds your condition improving.

If your career involves aerobic exercise, then you sort of have a "forced-fitness" aspect to your life already.  That's great.  By the way, what is your career endeavor?

As far as diet modification goes, don't get too exotic and don't attempt the "cold turkey" approach.  Your flesh is too strong to buy into that one--it won't last--and you need something that will last a lifetime, regardless of PK.  You know the old saying about boiling a frog;  "Put him in COLD water and turn the heat on really low--don't try to throw him into a boiling pot--he'll just jump right out."  So it goes with long-lasting dietary changes--a little bit at a time and your flesh won't know what happened--then you can sustain it.

Just determine specific goals that you want to shoot for in the longterm, then start to make SMALL incremental changes from where you are.  Try to find things in your longterm goals that you really LOVE to eat--it will make things that much easier.  Be it adding more fruit--find your favorite ones.  Want to include more salads & veggies--find some great salad dressings or some fun stuff to put on your salads that will make you want to eat them.  Trying to EXCLUDE sodas or sweets or whatever your poison--cut back in such small increments that after a time eliminating them will be no big deal.  You gotta trick the flesh like you trick the frog--a little at a time so they don't know what's going on.

As far as conditioning goes, the APK warmup and Jesse's WOD are great places to start--but take it S-L-O-W !!!  Don't think you have to do exactly what's suggested, especially the numbers & sets--I only wish I could.  Scale things back to your ability level.  That also goes along with learning any of the PK maneuvers--slow as she goes.  Going too fast & furious only gets you injured and sidelined--major bummers both.

I have posted numerous anecdotes in the Over 40 forum regarding beating the hell out of yourself early in life and the longterm effects--take special note.  PK can easily BEAT THE HELL out of you if you overdo it--be careful out there.

Get WELL!  Then get out there and have some fun. 
Be careful & have fun.

Offline Glenn Sunshine

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2006, 10:05:42 AM »
Age 48, mostly here for my 14 y.o. son. Parkour looks great, but I'm having a hard enough time keeping up on my joint mobility and kettlebell work, so I don't know how active I'll be. It does look like fun, though....

Offline Vagabond

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2006, 09:16:30 PM »
I'm here.  I don't know anyone else my age into this stuff.  In fact, most people my age can't do a single pullup.  But I can't compare myself to them, i have to compete with a younger crowd.  My son is 16 and is developing some crazy skills, and I'm trying to keep up.  Keeps me young.

I just want to say, that is F**king awesome.  MAn I would have a blast freerunning with my dad, even if he just showed up and triend some stuff with me.  What do you guys do?
Always Learn, Always Train
http://norcalparkour.webs.com/

Offline dwellens

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2006, 10:17:21 AM »
Hey Vagabond,

Speaking only for myself (who will turn 55 my next go round), I have been physically active non-stop in one form or another my entire life, as well as given attention to dietary issues (hats off to my dad) since I was in high school (back in the 60's, oh so long ago!)

One huge additional factor is that I did not trash myself in the days of my youth (I've never had a broken bone).  Those who quote the "scripture", "That which does not kill me, makes me stronger", do NOT know what they are talking about.  Some injuries, even seemingly minor ones, do not always heal 100%, thereby leaving you with a compromised situation wherever they occur.  (Please refer to my many anecdotes posted elsewhere in the OVER 40 forum regarding this issue.)

As far as my specific history goes, I've shot baskets (not necessarily played in games) most of my life.  My PK was simply a tangent off of that activity.  After a good session on the courts, from 45-90 minutes, I would just work my way back to my truck vaulting and tictacing off of whatever presented itself.  I also run through parking lots pulling a few simple moves on my way to whatever errand I'm running.  Living near the beach in beautiful San Diego, I also pull "dawn patrol" sessions bodysurfing just about every morning year around.  By trade, I'm a self-employed cabinetmaker, which provides plenty of "weightlifting" opportunities throwing around tools and materials.  Add all those factors together, practice MODERATION in all things, and you can look to be healthy and active well into old age.  I am the same height & weight (5'11'', 150 lbs.) as when I graduated high school...and I have no plans to slow down any time soon.

Noticed on your profile that you live in Reno, NV.  Happened to pass through there this summer on my way to my sister's wedding in Nor Cal.  We stayed at CircusCircus (yuck!), but had a great little PK session early one morning that I mentioned in another post in this forum--check it out.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 10:22:28 AM by David Wellens »
Be careful & have fun.

Offline Vagabond

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2006, 02:47:12 PM »
Rock on man.
Always Learn, Always Train
http://norcalparkour.webs.com/