Author Topic: Excercises to get to handstand  (Read 3186 times)

Offline Daniel

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Excercises to get to handstand
« on: July 11, 2012, 03:15:45 PM »
I'm just starting out on this I know mainly core but I also need balance and just bit more arm strength to get it
6 challenges completed
No retreat, no surrender. If the obstacle is too big or hard push yourself to overcome it - Me

Offline Alex Patterson

• Patas
    • View Profile
Re: Excercises to get to handstand
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 08:51:31 PM »
In my opinion best way is to just  keep working on handstands. Up against the wall. Work  on lifting your feet off the wall. And throw in some handstand push uups.

Offline Daniel

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 08:54:16 PM »
So pretty much pushup position walk up backwards against the wall that it? I figured it would be better to learn nowhere near a wall but eh whatever works best I guess?
6 challenges completed
No retreat, no surrender. If the obstacle is too big or hard push yourself to overcome it - Me

Offline Alex Patterson

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 09:20:45 PM »
I like to put my hands down and kick my legs up to the wall. But whatever works for you.

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 11:58:07 PM »
You should work both of those: 1) with the belly facing the wall, start in push-up position and walk your feet up the wall 2) kick up in to a handstand with your belly facing away from the wall.  Additionally work on some of these drills, especially the one starting around 27s, you can ignore the lunge drills as they are more oriented towards gymnasts, but the "teeter totter" drill where you kick up almost into a handstand is very helpful:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yOi-iUfKHE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yOi-iUfKHE</a>

As you do those, with control, you will get better at being upside down.  For a handstand make sure that you keep your arms straight, as they will be stronger in that position.  As you develop strength by working on the drills, you will eventually be able to hold a handstand without locking out your arms.

Also, read this: http://www.beastskills.com/the-handstand/

Offline Quentin

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • ParkourNinja
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 08:40:30 AM »
Going into a handstand straight pushing into it from the ground is tough work. It requires the use of significant muscle strength in your shoulders, chest, triceps, and abs. That being said, do workouts that increase the strength of these muscles! I would recommend body weight exercises so you build the coordination to control your balance and because you can work your way up into pushing straight up into a handstand. Pushups are always a great starting point. They work your chest and triceps like crazy. There are also variations of pushups where you purposefully "mountain" (namely, stick your butt in the air), put your feet closer to your hands, and this puts your previous pushup position into a more tight one, where you will push up more straight up, working your shoulders more. Work out with exercises like this until you can build up to handstand pushups. They do not have to be perfect, but work until you can prop your legs up on a wall and do pushups from a handstand position. Now, from a sitting position, even when you can do a good amount of handstand pushups propped on a wall, it is still impossible to go straight into a handstand without ridiculous ab strength. So do situps, planks, bicycle crunches, and whatever else until you have serious ab strength. Eventually if you get strong enough, you will be able to go straight into a handstand, from a sitting position.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgmsi8KnyTo
Parkour!
ParkourNinja.com!
Parkour!