Author Topic: Managing Motivation..  (Read 2581 times)

Offline Rosa Michelle

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Managing Motivation..
« on: July 06, 2012, 12:21:40 AM »
Many of us start packed with a lot of enthusiasm but end distracted on the way. We don’t feel as passionate towards achieving our set targets. We have to push and drag ourselves to work further, and no longer enjoy it the way we used to.
Have you ever experienced a similar situation? Any suggestions to overcome this?

Offline Sam Dutton

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
Re: Managing Motivation..
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 04:00:55 AM »
If you are doing a wall run and all you think about are the steps up to it but not the actual wall run, chances are you are not going to make it. Get it?

Crappy analogy. If it is an analogy. I didn't do great in english class.

Offline Joe Brock

• #1 Coach
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Pick your passion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 05:07:14 AM »
Clear, defined, time-restrained, measurable goals.

That's the only way that I can stay 100% focused.  If I don't write them down, then I'll lose sight along the way.
Posts are not to be mistaken for medical or training advice, or anything other than the rantings of an amateur strongman and powerlifter.

Offline Alex Patterson

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 05:51:40 AM »
I agree with Joe. Set smaller goals and write it all down so you can keep track of what you've done.

But I also believe that if a person doesn't enjoy what they're doing anymore, might be time to move on.

Not saying give up, but maybe change it.

I think we need to enjoy what we're doing or our hearts won't be in it enough to really  succeed.

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 02:17:55 PM »
And checkpoints. If you have jams and training sessions going on in your area, go to them. They can be good motivation when you can see yourself improving along with other people and have a tight bond with them.
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline Rosa Michelle

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 02:21:27 AM »
Clear, defined, time-restrained, measurable goals.

That's the only way that I can stay 100% focused.  If I don't write them down, then I'll lose sight along the way.

But failing at achieving a goal makes me lose my heart and all my motivation  :-[

Offline Rosa Michelle

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 02:22:51 AM »
I agree with Joe. Set smaller goals and write it all down so you can keep track of what you've done.

But I also believe that if a person doesn't enjoy what they're doing anymore, might be time to move on.

Not saying give up, but maybe change it.

I think we need to enjoy what we're doing or our hearts won't be in it enough to really  succeed.

I enjoy it, I do. But I am so tired with all other things, that even if I want to get up and start my workout, I can't move.
And missing one day means using it as an excuse for not working out for next few days!

Offline Rosa Michelle

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 02:23:39 AM »
And checkpoints. If you have jams and training sessions going on in your area, go to them. They can be good motivation when you can see yourself improving along with other people and have a tight bond with them.

Seems like a good idea, but it doesn't work well for me. I have varying routine!

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 02:27:14 AM »
You don't need to be motivated to go out and train.  You just need to go out and train. 

Talk to any long-term practitioner of any pursuit and they will tell you that there were hundreds of times when they lacked motivation but they got out there and did it anyway.

Offline Alex Patterson

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 04:11:49 AM »
You don't need to be motivated to go out and train.  You just need to go out and train. 

Talk to any long-term practitioner of any pursuit and they will tell you that there were hundreds of times when they lacked motivation but they got out there and did it anyway.

X2

Offline Rosa Michelle

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 12:19:31 AM »

true :)