Author Topic: Parkour for Military / LEO  (Read 6965 times)

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
Re: Parkour for Military / LEO
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2007, 05:51:22 AM »
The military has training for overcoming obsticles (obsticle course )

From what I've heard (from Jesse and others) the obstacel course trainign is as much about training as it is getting over obstacles quickly. For example, there are tons of ropes in these course, and climbing ropes is a big part of training for these. I doubt however that there are ropes hanging around where military are deployed!

Also, Jesse said that some of the obstacles had funny rules ... like you had to step on each log, even though he could have vaulted a whole pile.

Again, what we'd like to do at Primal is separate what will work in as real of a situation as we can simulate with what won't.

I think to As'a point my answer would be that common sense isn't. The benefit of this would be to train people in practical, effective, safe, and hopefully efficient ways of moving, including traversing obstacles, but then the value comes form drilling this enough that it becomes "second nature" to move that way, hence increasing the "common sense" of the  soldier.
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Asa Liebmann

• New Jersey
  • Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • NYParkour
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2007, 11:10:06 AM »
Not that I have any experience, it's just that I wouldn't think there's a way to move more quickly and directly than you would under fire. :)

Really though, everybody, from LEOs to Investment Bankers have so much to gain from Parkour training and philosophy.

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2007, 12:00:12 PM »
Not that I have any experience, it's just that I wouldn't think there's a way to move more quickly and directly than you would under fire.

Totally agree! However ...

Merely for discussion's sake (in other words, not being argumentative) - I think you could say the same for a game of tag ---
a year ago you would have moved as quickly as you could have. Now, a year later, you would move as quickly as you can ...

The point being that even in "fight or flight" mode ... we can only do what we are capable of and what we can envision doing with a certain amount of safety.

Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2007, 12:52:48 PM »
One of my favorite obstacle course stories is from "Phule's Company" by Robert Asprin. p. 178-180... The Army is trying to humiliate the Space Legion, and challenges them to an obstacle course. The Army sends their crack troops through the course. They're fast. The Legion goes through with their entire force, ignoring the "rules", blowing up and taking out the obstacles. They "get through" faster.

Some of the hiking trails here [Maui] do have suspension bridges to help people cross flash-flood prone streams, or ropes, to help scale a cliff. If there was war, and these trails were strategic, these areas would be boobytrapped at least, maybe with a sniper or two to make things more interesting.

Common sense is only common to the group that is saying "It's only common sense." When someone says that, I listen closely. They're often saying, "From painful experience..." Years ago I took some substitute teacher training. I did great on the course work and tests. Then the teacher off-handedly mentioned a couple things about "And it's only common sense to..." but it wasn't common sense to me. It was the first time I'd thought about some of those things. I realized there were a ton of people handling skills that they didn't teach, that I didn't have. I found another job.

Offline Audrey Deasey

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2019, 01:32:49 AM »
The forum of park is the American state and fortune of taking care with the long and serious way of matter determining facts. The topic is updated in the detail of my assignment help Australia to get the help of Australian forum in the description.