Author Topic: Big guy just starting need some help  (Read 1815 times)

Offline Brett merrell

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Big guy just starting need some help
« on: June 22, 2012, 04:25:30 PM »
Hey everyone, i am new to the parkour seen i tried it once or twice with a buddy of mine. It was really us just goofing around we went our side jumped over some railings is all. Anyway im not gonna lie when i was doing it i loved it idk why but it felt good to be able to jump over even a small rail as a bigger guy. An sense then its been on my mind and i have been wanting to really give it a go no goofing around the real deal.
    So thats where i need some help because idk where to start off. Like the title im a bigger guy '6"2 280 pounds now understand im not just some ball of fat i was big into martial arts (still am) i can still kick over my head so i am still rather flexible for a bigger guy. i can do 20 good push ups and run for a few blocks. So again im not total couch potato.  Anyway if any of you guys give me some good tips on where to start off maybe even a workout/exercise i can do that will directly translate to parkour. If anyone can help me it be amazing and thanks for any tips!

Offline Brett merrell

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Big guy just starting need some help
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 06:32:38 PM »
Wow kinda bumed looks like the gorilla section went under before i got here. Oh well back to the drawing board i suppose.  :(

Offline Joe Brock

• #1 Coach
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Pick your passion.
    • View Profile
Re: Big guy just starting need some help
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 09:04:19 PM »
I think that I should be an honorary Gorilla. I mean, I'm no waif.

Check out http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/ for a great list of skills that translate well to parkour, and how to train to reach them.  Steven and Chris put a lot of time into their work there, and it's pretty solid stuff.
Posts are not to be mistaken for medical or training advice, or anything other than the rantings of an amateur strongman and powerlifter.