Author Topic: Parkour Inflicted Tentinitis  (Read 1698 times)

Offline Conner McGillvray

• Patas
    • View Profile
Parkour Inflicted Tentinitis
« on: June 17, 2012, 10:50:02 AM »
Hey guys, I screwed up.  Recently i was having a few repeatedly hard days of training, dropping to large of heights, and overall being reckless with my practice.  It was toward the wrap up of my 3rd day that i heard a pop, and knew my knee was screwed.  I got it checked out and was saddened to hear that my patella tendon was trashed, and i had some serious tendinitis.  I'm nearly healed (a month later) but I'm not ready for any heavy training yet.  I was wondering if anybody has been in a similar situation and knew any exercises/movements that could help me regain knee strength+further heal my injury.  It would certainly go a long way in helping out a fellow traceur.  Thank you

Offline John George 'JG'

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Bloomsburg Parkour (Columbia County)
Re: Parkour Inflicted Tentinitis
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 01:11:21 PM »
Nearly healed a month later after a serious injury like that? Either you have the healing powers of Lord Zeus himself, or you are slightly mistaken and have a few months of rest ahead of you.

Most importantly: Don't push it! If the area is still sore, then you are still injured.

Almost every form of exercise makes tendinitis worse. Even stretching will exacerbate it. Massaging the surrounding muscles is the way to go. It loosens up the muscles without putting stress on the afflicted tendon.

Have you ever used a foam roller? They work miracles.
Parkour Endure founder - parkourendure.com
Lehigh Valley Parkour (member)
Level 1 ADAPT qualified instructor

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 05:42:09 PM »
I'll try foam rollers, thanks so much! and i think you were right about me being mistaken as well, I'm sore, just not like it was. How long should i wait to begin training again? should the soreness be completely gone? or just minimized?

Offline bryan

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 07:27:02 PM »
This is why we stress to train safely. no form of "dropping from large heights" Can be trained safely without a proper roll, And even with proper rolling technique there is so much that can go wrong to consider it being "safe". Don't push yourself, now that you are injured. I know its hard to just sit around and NOT do parkour, but You will be thankful you fully rested.
listen to my music at soundcloud

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 01:22:52 AM »
You should see a physical therapist who can check out your personal medical history and evaluate your injury and prescribe exercises just for you. 

Take this opportunity to learn your lesson the first time.  All of us make mistakes with training, and anyone who trains long enough will most likely suffer an avoidable injury.  I've had tendonitis.  Rest is key, rest longer than you think you need to.  Good luck.

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 10:04:56 AM »
Thanks to all, alot of helpful advice!