Author Topic: I'm a fat traceur... HELP ME!  (Read 3239 times)

Offline Robert Lindstrom

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • The secret to success? Two words: Keep going.
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Account
I'm a fat traceur... HELP ME!
« on: June 16, 2012, 10:46:01 AM »
So guys... I've got a situation, and I hope someone can relate and help me.

I'm going to learn parkour, plain and simple.  The problem is that I'm 5'7", and I weigh 314 lbs.  I already know I'm too heavy to do much of anything, but don't think it's all fat.  There's a small amount of muscle in this body, I just need to get rid of the weight that's holding me back.  I know I need to keep losing weight, but I figured while I'm losing it, I should be training too.  Why lose all this weight and then train, when I can do both at the same time?

Now, I can't do a pull-up yet, quadrupedal movement is a bit too hard for me, and jumping at this point is probably too much stress on my joints.  So, I've got a couple of questions:

1.  How often should I been training weekly?
2.  I've been walking on curbs daily to improve my balance, and it seems to be getting a little too easy.  Besides a cat crawl, which I'm not ready for, what are some other ways to improve my balance, on or off a curb?
3.  I've been told muscular traceurs tend to have a harder time.  Is this true? 
4.  Being as heavy as I am, should I use my own body weight for my exercises?  What muscles should I be developing?  Should I be lifting weights?  If so, how should I be lifting?
5.  What are some of the best parkour exercises for fat loss?
6.  What are some good articles on nutrition, and what foods should I (or shouldn't I) be eating?
7.  Other traceurs put themselves through a lot of stress in their movements.  I need to take baby steps, but what's a good place to start.

Please, I need help.  I know there are probably others out there like me, dealing with their weight, and I know this is a great way to fight back.  Parkour is about overcoming obstacles, and I need to overcome obstacles within myself.  Gravity sucks.  Help me deal with it.

Thank you.

Offline Jon

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • lol
    • View Profile
Re: I'm a fat traceur... HELP ME!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 10:49:14 AM »
3.  I've been told muscular traceurs tend to have a harder time.  Is this true? 

No.

Offline Will

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 04:31:40 PM »
I 'm not the most experienced traceur out there, but I do know a thing or two about fitness.  Running is THE best for burning pounds, but naturally it is the most intense.  Run a familiar place at first, it may be hard when you start but after a few weeks it will always get easier.  Then keep extending your runs.
About nutrition, I'm not so clued up on that.  Try and eat fruit early on in the morning, people think it is good when they skip breakfast, but it doesn't work that way.  Also drink about half a litre of water before meals.  Half the time when youre dehydrated you feel hungry, so you eat pointlessly.  Also when you drink a lot of water before meals, youre less tempted to drink fizzy drinks and all that stuff.
There is also the obvious ones, quit eating burgers and fast foods, you will get in much better shape quickly :)

About the training, muscle building will only help a traceur, never hinder their performance.

Never give up, and ALWAYS keep up the training!

Offline MedvisP

• Mangabey
  • Cloudless every day you fall upon my waking eyes.
    • View Profile
Power, balance, freedom.
My videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/MedvisP

Offline Ian Want

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 03:03:29 AM »
Dude, so stoked your starting this journey. Just so you know, I started at 230 pounds and I'm now in the low 170s so it CAN be done and I'm here if you want any advice!

First thing I'd say is due to your weight you are in a precarious position with training parkour. It has the potential to deal tons of impact to your body, and being heavy puts your joints at more risk! So, where do I personally think you should start off? Learn to safely execute a parkour roll, learn to run, jump, and land on your toes/balls of your feet, and MAKE SURE your knees don't bend past 90 degrees as much as possible!

Now as far as how often I think you should train; this is all based on your own body. Some people can handle tons of training, some cant! What I would suggest for you is do lots of cardio based movements, even if they are small. Plyos would be AMAZING for this. When you feel those muscles are spent and you think your done for the day... go 15 more minutes of good, safe training.

Balance- Plyos on curbs, precisions and strides as well. Also, walking and precisioning on playground bars would be helpful. Also, when you train balance don't try to stay up by moving your weight to compensate for balance. THAT ISN'T BALANCING! When you balance, you want to be in control. Tighten your core muscles, move slowly and in a controlled fashion.

What exercises- I am not licensed to tell you how to workout nor do I have the insight. BUT, I tend to train bodyweight stuff for a more natural approach. Weights have their advantages as well though!

Do muscular athletes have a tougher time?- Parkour has many different facets to be great at. Bigger guys may be able to perform strength based skills better like wall ups, muscle ups, hand stands, huge kongs and such while smaller guys and taller guys may be better at bounds and precisions. But to be honest, there is no set rule to this. I have seen big guys go nuts with speed, and I know plenty of skinny, lankey kids do great with huge vaults and hand stands. Figure out what you like and work on it. Don't let unfounded rumors of your build tell you how you should be.

As far as straight weightloss, cardio will be your friend. Lucky you, your starting parkour! Regardless of your style there is one aspect that unites us all in parkour; FLOW. Flow is connecting movements. To some its flips, others its rail work, or simply gliding through your environment as PK originally intended. Either way moving is the goal. Learn your vaults, learn your roll, and learn the safety tips and you will be well on your way to losing weight, as long as you keep that heart rate up.

Every day you train, set a goal for yourself, no matter how small. Don't go home until you get that goal. Even if its "land 3 precisions with your feet together" or "vault 2 picnick tables in a single run"

Also, find a friend to train with who is just as, if not MORE dedicated to training then you. If it weren't for my friends I most likely would have given up.

Good luck with your training mah man, and keep me updated!

Offline Robert Lindstrom

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Account
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 10:48:27 AM »
I know I need more cardio, but what's the ratio of cardio to lifting?  50/50?

Also, what muscles should I be training?  I heard focus was needed on quads, triceps, core, and back.  That sound about right, or are there any others I'm missing?

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 03:06:10 PM »
I think this thread should be moved to general fitness.  There are more knowledgeable people there, many of whom have relevant degrees and certifications.  Not that certs and degrees are everything, but that's the best place for the technical advice you're seeking.

Good luck man, this is going to be awesome!  I think you should document what you're doing from the beginning.  All of us would love to cheer you on as you go, and you could inspire others to change as well.  I used parkour as motivation to quit smoking, go back to school and get a degree, and generally become nicer and happier.  It's a powerful tool for transforming your life.

Offline Robert Lindstrom

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Account
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 05:37:37 PM »
Got it.  I'll copy this post into general health.

Thanks everyone for the advice, and even more so for the words of kindness.

I will track my progress.  You can watch it here.

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 12:51:20 AM »
Subscribed man!  Let me know how I can help.

Offline Ian Want

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 12:39:23 PM »
Agreed with Brett! Getting help from those who are taught in those fields would be best.

Offline Stevie Leifheit

• smexy dood
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • A1....like the sauce.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 12:12:53 PM »
Have you had a chance to check out our gorilla section?

http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/board,211.0.html

I have a feeling you might find it helpful :D
Weight training alongside parkour always benefits, it never takes away.

Quote from: Joe Brock
It's like you are some kind of APK Angel...not the girly kind...but the big "Sodom destroying" ones!!!

Offline Robert Lindstrom

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Account
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 06:54:50 AM »
Have you had a chance to check out our gorilla section?

http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/board,211.0.html

I have a feeling you might find it helpful :D

You have no idea.  Thank you very much.

Offline Trevor de Groot

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • Tic Tac Media
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 10:38:05 PM »
I just subbed, hope you do well with your goals!  My cousin lost 85 pounds doing parkour, but of course he was eating right and working out with me too.  All the best to you!

Offline Stevie Leifheit

• smexy dood
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • A1....like the sauce.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 06:04:18 PM »
@Bobbles: Would it help if I moved this topic to the gorilla PK section for you?
Weight training alongside parkour always benefits, it never takes away.

Quote from: Joe Brock
It's like you are some kind of APK Angel...not the girly kind...but the big "Sodom destroying" ones!!!

Offline Robert Lindstrom

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Account
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 11:06:14 AM »
@Bobbles: Would it help if I moved this topic to the gorilla PK section for you?

I already copied and pasted it into the Gorilla PK section, but thanks.  Still haven't gotten any replies over there though...

Offline Will

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2012, 02:25:35 PM »
Hey Bobbles, hows the training coming along?