Author Topic: One year of Parkour- A look back.  (Read 8114 times)

Offline Jon Bellomy

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
One year of Parkour- A look back.
« on: December 14, 2005, 02:42:15 PM »
It's been one year-365 days-52 weeks, since I first started Parkour. Now I look back, and see what I did, what I am doing, and what I could've done. When I first started Parkour, I absolutely loved it. Every second of the day was spent thinking about free running. Everywhere I went, I was thinking up runs, which, at the time were short, and simple. A kong was the holy grail of techniques that I wanted to master. So I practiced.... A lot. Indoors, outdoors, even in my dreams. And than one day I stuck it. It was at that time, I was the happiest traceur alive. I did it two more times, for the sake of the "three times" rule. After I nailed the kong, I kept progressing, faster than ever. The kong is one the single most important techniques to acquire. You can build so much off of it. I started monkeys, lazies, reverses, dashes, double kongs.... Any thing you can think of, I tried it. What the kong has to do with my parkour journey over a year may be pointless to some. But to others, learning that one technique that you have been practicing and practicing for weeks can shoot your confidence level up dramtically. Remember, I learned all these techniques literally over a picnic table in my backyard. I was a shy practioner, at the time. But as I progessed, my confidence, my self esteem all went up. Next thing you know I have three people in my area coming with me free running. Progressing every day, I felt on top of the world. I have been featured in numerous magazines and newspapers, but afterall, free running is about self, correct? Newspapers and magazine articles are nice accomplishments, but in no way did they help me at all in my journey through free running. So here I sit, 365 days from square one. It's been a hell of a journey, sometimes bad, but most of the time amazing. I wish I would've gotten more people in my area to do it sooner, so I could have PK'ed with my friends from day one; but obviously I can't. I look forward to my journey into another year of free running with excitement, fear, and eagerness. The upcoming year should be a great one, with plans to go to Europe and do some training over there. When I look back at free running, it is by far, the most influential thing to ever happen to me in my life. So when you think things are going bad in life, just remember... Parkour will always be there. You can do it where you want, when you want.. I like to think of it as escaping the real world, and entering my own. You make the rules, noone else.

This is mostly for new practitioners of Parkour, to help them understand there not the only ones who started from square one. Hopefully you guys will read this with an open mind, and accept it for what it is.

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: One year of Parkour- A look back.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 04:47:41 PM »
I was just thinking the same thing. Its not but a few more months until I have my pk birthday, and i think its amazing to look back at acomplishments. I love the passion you have for something like a simple kong, mostly because i do too. that simple move can take you anywhere you want to go. I have been in newspaper articles, but I dont just look past those, I use them as motivation. People i havent even met yet are looking up to me, and I will get better and better with that as motivation. But youre right, the self motivation will take me much farther.

Good job on a year of success! try not to think of it as an end of one journey and the beginning of another... to me, you just never stop!  :)

Offline Jon Bellomy

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 05:03:19 PM »
Thanks, and congratulations on you're successful journey as well. Here's to another great year of Parkour!

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 07:02:25 PM »
HERE HERE!!!

you get a karma point for that! lol

Offline ERI104

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 11:52:20 AM »
ahh i got a long way to go before my one year. came on the scene and tried some parkour around july but never truly did it until september.
I am the Egyptian Monkey

things people have called parkour
1) popcorn
2) park whore
3) par four
4) pa coop

Offline Flippusmn

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Flippusmn??? ask me then!
    • View Profile
    • http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/OHParkour/
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 02:09:48 PM »
What about me Jon  :-[, just playing. Good job on your accomplishments, there are many more exciting and fun things to come as long as you don't get carried away. Next time we meet we must hope that there will be many more people who share these accomplishments and feelings as we do around here for the sole perpose have having more life changing and exciting FUN ;D.

Plus 1 karma for hard work. ;)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 04:06:00 PM by Flippusmn »
Parkour can make you or break you, each of which I have experienced. ~Feel the Flow~ "Don't think with your balls, think with your brain." -Houston

Offline CyanideSoda

• Puntastic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I didn't know you could put words here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 04:01:28 PM »
Hey guys, i've only been doing parkour for about 2 weeks. So far i'm loving it.

I'm still working on the monkey and can't wait until completion. But i did my first succesful side vault 2 or 3 days ago. So in some aspects i know the feeling.

The ReTraining Logs of CyanideSoda
  Post constructive comments please.

Offline Jon Bellomy

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2005, 04:07:26 PM »
Hey guys, i've only been doing parkour for about 2 weeks. So far i'm loving it.

I'm still working on the monkey and can't wait until completion. But i did my first succesful side vault 2 or 3 days ago. So in some aspects i know the feeling.

Good job! Just keeping working on it. The monkey is another good technique to learn, because you can build off of that as well. I hope your journey is a fun and safe one!

Offline Flippusmn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2005, 04:28:27 PM »
Hey guys, I've only been doing parkour for about 2 weeks. So far I'm loving it.

I'm still working on the monkey and can't wait until completion. But i did my first successful side vault 2 or 3 days ago. So in some aspects i know the feeling.

Good job! Just keeping working on it. The monkey is another good technique to learn, because you can build off of that as well. I hope your journey is a fun and safe one!

Like he said work on it. Just think of it like this, (northern bound) it's just snow it won't hurt a bit and just do it, or (south bound) I wouldn't know I have never been to the south, you'll have to think of something on your own. Or you could just fall a hundred times to become pain tolerant and the fear just melts away as I did  ;D;) Anything you do such as vaults, jumps, and rolls you can build off of so get crack-in. :)
Parkour can make you or break you, each of which I have experienced. ~Feel the Flow~ "Don't think with your balls, think with your brain." -Houston

Offline CyanideSoda

• Puntastic
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2005, 04:42:23 PM »
Thanks for the support guys. Yeah i use a matress. So far i have face planted trying the monkey about 4 or 5 times. I'm lucky enough to have a dog house just the right height to practice on.

Offline Altimot

• Hirundo Rustica
  • its al (like the name) /tea/ mot (rhymes with not)
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Page
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2005, 04:54:25 PM »
well, with this year ending, it marks my first year anniversary of starting parkour. I have accomplished soo much and i cant even imagine how boring my life would be like if i didnt know what parkour was. WOW! that really just hit my for the first time. Imagine: life without parkour, it sounds so.......horrible! Man just taking the stairs everytime, just walking around a bench, looking at a wall and seeing a wall, All the friends i have made...gone. can you say BORING! what would i be doing with all my free time.  WHAT A YEAR!   YYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAH!!!  :D :D PARKOUR IS AWSOME!!! YAA!

Offline michiganparkour

• Patas
  • WHAAAAAAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2005, 05:20:51 PM »
i don't know the exact date i started parkour but it was around the middle of November or so because i know i learned it before marching band season was over.....yes I'm in marching band....well one move Ive been working and working on is the dive roll and i just got that down(thanks to allot of snow)and so far sense that day when Nem taught me the few things he could at the time(because we only had a rail)i have been loving it and its one of the biggest things in my life....basically parkour to me is the equal to love.....okay that sounded kinda corny but i don't care cause its true for me
Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline CyanideSoda

• Puntastic
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2005, 06:12:49 PM »
Luckily i have been doing dive rolls for a couple years so i came equiped with that. Another thing i'm glad i came equiped with is rolling. I learned how to roll propally in Aikido.

Offline CyanideSoda

• Puntastic
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2005, 08:01:42 PM »
Just thought I'd let you guys know i did my first few successful monkeys. It was only on a waist high object so no big deal. But I sure am happy.

Offline ERI104

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2005, 10:34:06 AM »
WOOT!!!! now try doing a kong :D
I am the Egyptian Monkey

things people have called parkour
1) popcorn
2) park whore
3) par four
4) pa coop

Offline CyanideSoda

• Puntastic
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2005, 11:00:17 AM »
What exactly is the difference between a kong and a monkey?

Offline Flippusmn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2005, 12:35:40 PM »
Look on UF at the fundamentals for the examples. Kongs are streatched out and you nearly don't even have to put your legs through your arms like a monkey, mainly used for wide ocjects. There really is very little of any differences between them. Kongs in my opinion are the best thing and funnest thing you can do in parkour, you feel like a friggen king kong you know. Drop diving kongs are the best.

Offline CyanideSoda

• Puntastic
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2005, 01:20:50 PM »
Wow kongs look hard. I doubt i'll be able to do them for a while.  :-\

Offline michiganparkour

• Patas
  • WHAAAAAAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2005, 04:56:20 PM »
Kongs arent really that hard once you do them
Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Steez

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2005, 08:33:57 PM »
but they are oh so sensual!