Author Topic: Drug addiction  (Read 1003 times)

Offline Madoure

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Drug addiction
« on: June 13, 2012, 07:26:46 AM »
Hi everyone,
I used to smoke crack twice a day. I recently stoped but the cravings are rough.  :-[ I've heard from a friend that exercice could help to reduce them, so I tought about parkour. Watching these videos on YouTube gave me a lot of ideas, and I'd like to have your advice: where to start? where and with who to train?
Thanks everybody  ;)

Offline Jason C. Astor

• Mangabey
  • Never Give up, Never Surrender
    • View Profile
Re: Drug addiction
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 08:30:56 AM »
Exercise, Cleansing Diet and hydration will do it's job of eliminating trace toxins from your body, thus eliminating the physical urge. The mental addiction is different depending on how long you were using. Some drugs re wire the brain to believe that this chemical is as needed as food or water. Meditation and self reflection are known to allow the brain time to repair this imbalance to its more genetic wiring.

Diet- Lots of greens, beets and colorful fruits and veggies to help your body push the toxin out. LOTS of water. I would suggest a Juice cleanse for a few days but that's just my opinion.

Exercise- Since your goal isn't just to be better at Parkour or to Gain Mass I would suggest a high intensity (High Heart rate and sweat that hit multiple muscle groups) Workouts (Insanity, Spartan, Spin). However, most drugs cause a lot of cardiovascular stress [tearing] so you should hit it hard but be very mindful of your heartrate for the next year or so. 120-130 is average active hr. if you get higher take a few breaths and if you feel sick or light headed slow down.

Parkour- Don't go out and do Big Drops or huge gaps. Work on precissions, small Jumps, Vaults and climbing.
Parks are great for Parkour. see what I did there? ;D  You don't really "Need anyone" else to train you, just go out and jump onto and off of curbs and picnic tables, then over stuff.

Be safe and Have fun, brother. I would say good luck but you don't need luck you got this
David Belle once robbed a bank and left all the money on the Roof. He just wanted to prove that he could overcome any "Vault"..

"Those who lack the Courage will always find a Philosophy to justify it" -Camus

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 12:17:31 PM »
Welcome! Parkour would be a great way to keep your mind on the fun and positive!! Check out this article:

http://www.americanparkour.com/learn/faq-english/faq/155/887-how-do-i-get-started

Congrats on taking the first steps, keep up the great work.
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 02:10:36 AM »
Hi everyone,
I used to smoke crack twice a day. I recently stoped but the cravings are rough.  :-[ I've heard from a friend that exercice could help to reduce them, so I tought about parkour. Watching these videos on YouTube gave me a lot of ideas, and I'd like to have your advice: where to start? where and with who to train?
Thanks everybody  ;)

Getting clean is rough, but sometimes staying clean is rougher.  Please check out the different options and resources available, these people have been helping each other stay clean for 50+ years: http://www.na.org

Parkour can be a wonderful part of your recovery, as it has been in mine.  Addiction is a disease of body, mind, and spirit, so all three must be treated as part of the recovery process.  Good luck to you, and don't hesitate to PM me if you want to talk more privately.