Author Topic: Fellow traceurs with the wrong idea  (Read 2979 times)

Offline Nick Fernandez

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Fellow traceurs with the wrong idea
« on: May 21, 2012, 08:39:53 PM »
I'm sure quite a few of us know that not every traceur follows the same mindset when it comes to law enforcement, training, encouraging others, respect, etc. But sometimes it's just too much to bear when you see people who "think" they do parkour say "F--- the police! They'll never catch me!" or "You suck at parkour" or something of the like. Seeing stuff like this on Facebook coming from a close friend almost breaks my heart:

The problem is, I don't want to see some of these people hurt other people's feelings, get hurt, or even get arrested, especially if they're friends. Now I understand that not everyone is like me where they share the same opinions and beliefs or have a philosophy when it comes to parkour so I don't really feel I can "convert" people to be like me, and what fun would life be if everyone was just my clone?

My question being: What do you do when you see other traceurs have behavior like this? How do you explain why you shouldn't be trespassing and listen/respect authorities when they talk to you even though it's sometimes so painstakingly obvious? How do you even convince them to have an open mind?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykbx-yzFgBo

"If you're afraid to fall, you'll fall because you're afraid." -Daniel Ilabaca

Offline Hombre13

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Fellow traceurs with the wrong idea
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 01:42:07 PM »
For the most part, it's very difficult to change how a person behaves.  I mostly just try to avoid training with people who have that entirely different mindset. I know some "traceurs" who look for crowds to show off in front of.  However I tend to have a live and let live type of philosophy towards life, and if i see something I don't like, i'll just walk away.  A few people respect me and my skills though, so those will usually follow me and my philosophies.

Offline Ryan Sannar

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Jump Utah
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 03:23:13 PM »
Wait for them to grow out of their immaturity.
10 push ups.

Offline TR

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 11:44:49 AM »

My question being: What do you do when you see other traceurs have behavior like this?

You tell them to shut the f#ck up and let them know how stupid they are.

Offline Spencer Young

• Mangabey
  • The Jack of all Trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 02:42:45 PM »

Agreed
WIP

Offline Sam Dutton

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 05:22:57 PM »
You really do need to do that, yeah. But you should probably tell them why they are stupid, not just that they are.

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 10:05:17 AM »
You can, but any experience will tell you this tends not to work. Telling people they are wrong is hardly effective, especially when they don't respect you much.

Wait for them to grow out of their immaturity.
More likely.
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline Caleb Lewis

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • "Pain is weakness leaving the body" -Daniel Evans
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 07:34:45 AM »
If I got caught for "trespassing" well I wouldn't know I was trespassing, but I wouldn't run from the law. That's just stupid.
PK and FR: The only uncorrupted sport remaining.

Offline Nick Fernandez

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 08:26:39 PM »
I don't know, guys. Some people just never change, and I know for sure that there are plenty of men and women in this world who never grew up and matured. I like to think that as you train and improve with parkour that your mindset becomes different, but I have enough evidence just by YouTube that there are some pretty good traceurs out there that are still assholes.

Even if by some chance that people did realize that they're not really doing parkour and are just being reckless, I don't want to have to wait until someone gets arrested or seriously hurt to make my point. Neither do I want it to result in people blaming that "one guy doing parkour" and ruining the reputation for the rest of us.  I'm thinking from now on I'm just going to show everyone the "Parkour: The Nature of Challenge" documentary.

Like I said in some other thread, I really think this is why it's important for the more experienced traceurs to keep stepping up and show people what parkour's really about, since people look up to them and they can act almost as authorities when it comes down to parkour and philosophy, respect, etc. They have a much bigger effect on people when they talk about things like this as opposed to some random noob.

Offline Jon

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • lol
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 05:52:09 PM »
Lord knows what people would do without all you wise beings to tell them "what parkour is all about".

Offline bryan

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 07:29:12 PM »
When I'm teaching someone about parkour who "wan'ts to know more" or even wants to get out and try it with me, I make sure they know every aspect of the discipline, and what it should/shouldn't be used for before I even have them attempt 1 small obstacle. It's boring for them, I'm sure, but If they can get past the lecture and learn it the right way then they can train with me on a daily basis. It's the way I would have wanted to start out, and its how I would want other to start as well.

As for those who already "do parkour" and do it in a bad manor, The best you can do is try to teach them the right way. If they don't want to listen, avoid training with them.
listen to my music at soundcloud

Offline Madoure

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 03:36:44 AM »
I would like to compare this with the star wars movies. The advantages of the dark side can be tempting, but don't get caught!

May the force be with you!  ;D

Offline bryan

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 05:33:46 AM »
I would like to compare this with the star wars movies. The advantages of the dark side can be tempting, but don't get caught!

May the force be with you!  ;D

Although you are making a joke, I have to disagree lol. I have (personally) never been tempted to use parkour for the wrong idea. Now, that doesn't mean that (if in a scenario) if I was running from the law (witch wouldn't happen lol) that I wouldn't use what I have learned from parkour. Most of this would be out of instinct though. I have never actually done anything wrong and said "If the law shows up, ill just sprint away doing parkour, bla bla" lol.
listen to my music at soundcloud

Offline Roberto Espinoza Jr.

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2012, 06:58:06 AM »
Haha! This thread reminds me of something that happened the other day.

My friend and I were walking to this park that's about a 40 min walk away from my house, but of course this gets stretched out because we're traceurs and get side-tracked  ;D

Well we found this precision jump by the entrance of some apartments. It was from the sidewalk to this one short wall, couldn't have been higher than 1.5 feet, that was probably built there to

1. Look nice.
and
2. Make sure some dumbass doesn't drive straight into the apartments.

We we do the jump nothing too big maybe 6 or 7 feet at most. And we start leaving. But behold! Another distraction! A tic-tac off of one of those big green WM trashcans to the same wall. I soon discovered that big green trashcans are slippery and that it was useless to keep trying xD

Well I wiped off the shoe mark I left, or at least the best I could haha! And as my buddy, Gio, and I were leaving (walking on the wall of course). This one guy driving this truck drives up to us, brakes real hard, gets off and starts yelling at us.

"WHAT THE @#$% ARE YOU DOING ON MY PROPERTY!? YOU DON'T LIVE HERE! YOU'RE TRESPASSING GET OFF MY PROPERTY!"

Gio and I slowly step off the wall. We were sorta shocked actually really random.

"AND WHAT THE @#$% ARE YOU DOING TO MY TRASHCAN?! ARE YOU WRITING ON MY TRASHCAN?! I CAN KNOCK YOU OUT RIGHT NOW! I CAN SUE YOUR ASS!

Well I tried to reason with the fellow but damn he was pissed off! He wouldn't let us explain what we were doing he just wanted us out of there xD

Gio, being the more indignant of the two of us started arguing back a little.

"We aren't doing anything!"

"Go ahead sue me you can't do anything to me we weren't doing anything wrong!"

etc etc

Eventually he stopped yelling at us enough for us to start walking away although he was still threatening us with a law suit xD He then proceeded to get back in his truck, put that shit in reverse, step on it, put it in drive, and drove away from the apartments.....Gio even pointed out that if he was that concerned about "his property" and "his trashcan", he would've at least checked it only to find a faded shoe mark xD

In that guys defense he probably has the wrong idea of teenagers since some dumbasses where I live probably have tagged his trashcan xD So he could've been understandably suspicious of us.

But I just feel it's wrong that he was so hostile towards us without even knowing what we were doing! He just got out of his truck and went off on us. He didn't let me explain ourselves.....

Gio also said that it's guys like him that make bad teenagers (unlike us) go back and actually do something to him or his property just so his anger can be "justified". Ya know so he can have an actualy reason to be angry.....

Some people huh?
Warning:  Limits in mind are further than they appear.

Is it further...or farther...?

Offline Nick Fernandez

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2012, 11:48:32 AM »
When I'm teaching someone about parkour who "wan'ts to know more" or even wants to get out and try it with me, I make sure they know every aspect of the discipline, and what it should/shouldn't be used for before I even have them attempt 1 small obstacle. It's boring for them, I'm sure, but If they can get past the lecture and learn it the right way then they can train with me on a daily basis. It's the way I would have wanted to start out, and its how I would want other to start as well.

That's exactly what I would do. Before they even learn anything, they should know the philosophy about it, why we do it, and how we train so they don't think this is some criminal escape training. Imagine if you taught someone how to do a wall-run and they used it to get away after a robbery or something! Which just made me think of this....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuOkwCcMjEc

Lord knows what people would do without all you wise beings to tell them "what parkour is all about".

lol.....

Offline Roberto Espinoza Jr.

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2012, 06:16:11 AM »
Warning:  Limits in mind are further than they appear.

Is it further...or farther...?