Author Topic: Signs of life?  (Read 6493 times)

Offline Gary Hewitt

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Signs of life?
« on: May 01, 2012, 06:35:03 AM »
Wondering if any of you guys are still train

ing as this part of the forum seems rather quiet ?

Offline Alex Patterson

• Patas
    • View Profile
Re: Signs of life?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 06:44:00 AM »
I train quite regularly. Just don't post much. With two kids. And just buying a house. I don't get on here a lot.

Offline Gary Hewitt

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 08:07:32 AM »
I know how much family and a new home take out of you, I emigrated from England to Austria three years ago with my family. I've now managed to get my wife and eleven year old son joining in the workout of the day with me, which would be fun other than the "I've got to do what now !!!?" comments.

Offline Alex Patterson

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 04:07:17 AM »
Cool you got your wife doing this too. I can't talk my wife into the Parkour way of life. She says its dangerous. My. 7 year old daughter enjoys it.

Offline Gary Hewitt

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 08:19:49 AM »
My wife started trainig with me as the all round fitness appealed to her, she wasn't to happy about practicing in public so I built a box jump, vault and rail so we could practice around the garden, now when we're out I see her eyeing up rails and gap jumps so it's only a matter of time. My son is happy to try it all and although we live in a small town where the locals aren't to happy about you climbing around their walls we have some great forests to run through and a stream next to our house that he loves to compete with me to jump over, I've got to pretend to lose and fall in or he's not happy.

Offline Wave?

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 11:56:40 AM »
Yep, still alive and kicki..ehr..training. It's a pitty this place is so quiet being still one of the few places on the net for the "older" traceur. The board I created on the Dutch forum isn't there anymore because that specific Dutch forum don't excist anymore. But well, let's just keep going training. In the end people will realise it is just logical to move like a tracer.
Failure is the key to success; each mistake teaches us something.
Morihei Ueshiba.(founder of aikido)

Offline Alex Patterson

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 05:51:57 AM »
That's really cool Gary that you got you family into it.

My wifes has gotten into fitness. But she prefers Zumba.

I agree that its a shame that this board isn't more active. Just seems a lot of us older folk just give up and give in to the norm. 

Offline Gary Hewitt

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 12:10:17 AM »
Hey Wave?, saw your video, good job, maybe if we don't give into the norm and start posting we can liven this up a bit.

Offline Wave?

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 10:50:31 AM »
Good Idea Gary. I'll try to come here more often being the only place for the older tracer/freerunner.
Their used to be some around on the English forum from Parkour Generations. And I know their are quite some British older tracers. I've trained with a few at a PK gen training there and spoke to some British tracers visiting the Netherlands. two years a go I had the pleasure to hang around with Daniel Illabaca and a crew around him. Spoke about this with them and in London it is still growing with 30+ especially in organised classes. However I think a lot of people rather choose for lesser "dangerous" fitness forms like cross-fit or bootcamp and such.
To me it is a bit strange to do all the power and fitness forms I do but without the fun of moving, jumping, vaulting and playing...
Failure is the key to success; each mistake teaches us something.
Morihei Ueshiba.(founder of aikido)

Offline Alex Patterson

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 11:08:14 AM »
I agree with you.  People seem to want to do the less dangerous. But cross fit. Is just mostly a looky good rountine. They're not getting any benefits other then abs. We in Parkour actually are training for something. And allowing our bodies to move like they should.

Offline Gary Hewitt

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 11:16:54 PM »
I've had the pleasure of training with some of the best mixed martial artists in the business, even got one of my former pupils in The Ultimate Fighter house now but due to the time constraints this caused my contact with any trceurs has been few and far between, I believe when most people hit our age work and family take precedence and they get caught up in what they should be doing not what they would like to be doing, afraid to look outside the box for fear of what others might say, constrained by society and the medias conception of fitness, "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds"
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 03:48:39 AM by Gary H »

Offline Alex Patterson

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 04:11:36 AM »
Its very true. Our priorities switch to family, making a living, keeping a house in good repair. But we got to remember that this doesn't mean we give up our fitness goals. We just need to learn how to include it into our lives.

Offline anarkyman

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 02:47:44 PM »
I am here too, I try to train a few times a week, but I train alone mostly and never think to post.

Glad to see other old guys doing this (I am 46), makes me feel less like a dinosaur.

Haven't had much luck finding partners, the young kids are a little freaked out by an adult around, I have hit a few gatherings but it is always a bit awkward. People my age rarely have or make the time for this sort of thing either.

It's hard to get the time to train, mostly I go out late at night or early in the morning if I can muster the energy.

But gotta keep moving or you die.

Offline Gary Hewitt

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 09:24:15 AM »
Hey anarcyman, good to know that there are more of us out there, perhaps this would be better as an over 40's forum, I'm 42.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 06:57:10 AM by Gary H »

Offline Joe Brock

• #1 Coach
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Pick your passion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, 10:36:42 AM »
I'll be in here later this year ;)  if you move it up to 40...I gotta wait another decade before I can call myself an "old timer."  Don't take the joy away from me. :)
Posts are not to be mistaken for medical or training advice, or anything other than the rantings of an amateur strongman and powerlifter.

Offline Alex Patterson

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2012, 10:39:42 AM »
30 is a good age Joe. I was there 5 years ago.

Offline tj

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2012, 11:54:54 AM »
Lol now i feel rediculaus :). The other day i was thinking im a little old to start parkour and im only 21 x.x

Offline Alex Patterson

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2012, 04:16:11 AM »
I'm not even sure I remember being 21.

This is a funny thought. When I graduated high school. My school did not have internet yet. Yikes.

Offline Gary Hewitt

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2012, 06:54:54 AM »
Never really considered myself an old timer, I think I prefer veteran. The way I see it is if these youngsters keep training in 10 years this will be the busiest spot on the forum.

Offline Alex Patterson

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2012, 06:25:21 AM »
Yeah. If my 7 year old daughter keeps at it. By the time she's my age she'll be the best around.