Author Topic: How Should I start off  (Read 2026 times)

Offline Yassin Ahmed

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
How Should I start off
« on: April 17, 2012, 03:40:13 PM »
I've wondered how I should start when it comes to parkour. Should I jump right in and do parkour, or should I start with conditioning exercises? Sorry if I sound like a complete n00b.

Offline Jerald Donald Konkel

• Mangabey
  • Land softly and Roll Smoothly
    • View Profile
    • PunKurac Parkour
Re: How Should I start off
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 04:52:32 PM »
Very Important!! I mean it, don't "jump right in" to Parkour. This is My advise, take it or leave it.

First, Start from the ground. if you are a "noob" like you say you sound, I will say this again.... Start from the ground. Be safe. don't mimic others you might see on youtube. Learn to roll first and foremost. Learn to land on the balls of your feet, using your legs to absorb the impact rather than your joints. practice balancing, it helps more than you know. Build a foundation of Parkour Basics. practice the essentials of Parkour, and when you feel ready then take it up a notch or two. improving on the things YOU can do not on what others can. everyone is different and has different abilities. there is no "he's better than you" cause there is no Competition in Parkour. Just do "your" thing and don't try to "keep up" with others.

Also, Remember to try new things. don't always go "by the book" when it comes to Parkour. Movement is Freedom. so feel free to express yourself.

"We're Apes, not monkeys" GPK
"Get off the roof, for your own safety" APK Roof Police

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • PunKurac Parkour
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 04:56:38 PM »
Oh, yes Conditioning is important, I almost forgot about that. but it shouldn't be your main focus in my opinion. just practicing parkour is a complete workout in itself and it builds the muscles you use most. I try to stay away from Specialization and try to keep it natural.

Offline Yassin Ahmed

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 04:25:16 PM »
Thanks man. I never planned on mimicking things that I see others do. I've learned how to absorb impact and roll, going to continue that and simple vaults.

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • PunKurac Parkour
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 05:35:36 PM »
cool, I wish u well in your training. also David Belle has been very inspirational to me, I would recomend following his example, and teachings as a guideline