Author Topic: Backhand spring help!  (Read 3549 times)

Offline Dillion

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Backhand spring help!
« on: April 08, 2012, 11:28:14 PM »
I can jump to the side.No problem. But when i want to go straight back i chicken out and turn my body last second. Really its the fear i'll miss my hands and land on my head.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkWC4LcEA_A" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkWC4LcEA_A</a>
Any tips?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 11:29:45 PM by Dillion »

Offline Jacob Siler

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
Re: Backhand spring help!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 01:59:52 PM »
For the bhs:

1. don't throw your head back before you jump.
2. get your arms to your ears....at this point you can throw you head back...but only as fast as your arms are moving back. Notice how the head is always located between the arms in the image?
3. you are over rotating the 1st half of the flip because of the improper jump and the bend of the knees.
-you should land, on your hands, stretched out like a handstand with a slight arch. noticed the image with a dotted line through it. you are landing with your weight on the left side of the line instead of the right side of the line.
4. get off your hands quicker. This is called a block (rapid rebound from shoulders).
5. finish shape should be a rounded back (called a hollow). You are finishing in an arched back.
-fix this by trying to look down at the ground, about 3ft infront of you, when you land on your feet at the end.

**focus ont he proper head position at the 1st half (beginning----->jump) and getting your arms to your ears.
Jake Siler
Doctorate of Chiropractic student at Life University

Bachelors of Science in Exercise Science from Western Michigan University

*post are not a medical suggestion, or expert advice. Just sharing knowledge and experience.

Offline Dillion

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 04:53:14 PM »
Thanks for the tips that should defiantly help.
One more question.
What is a good way to get over the fear or a good practice?

Offline Jordan Bates

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 07:49:07 PM »
Just telling yourself that you know you can do it and making yourself overcome that fear. I would say maybe lead up to it so it's not as scary but you are already there. You are doing a back handspring, but slightly turning which is only making it harder.

Offline Jacob Siler

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 07:35:36 AM »
Just telling yourself that you know you can do it and making yourself overcome that fear. I would say maybe lead up to it so it's not as scary but you are already there. You are doing a back handspring, but slightly turning which is only making it harder.

^exactly...the more you do it the less you'll twist to the side
Jake Siler
Doctorate of Chiropractic student at Life University

Bachelors of Science in Exercise Science from Western Michigan University

*post are not a medical suggestion, or expert advice. Just sharing knowledge and experience.