Author Topic: Open Gyms????  (Read 2870 times)

Offline Chad

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Open Gyms????
« on: April 04, 2012, 11:14:09 AM »
Hello Fellow Traceurs...i have been training on and off for about a year and half, and recently have had quite a bit of issues with Open Gyms at gymnastic centers..from we cant allow you because our insurance only covers to a certain age, to the flat out are you serious question  >:(. My question has anyone else had issues of this nature and why do these places have such an aversion to older people working out....i know that i am not gonna just go out and huck a trick to see if i can do it..takes way to long to heal now compared to when i was younger
If the sun will rise even one more time, SO WILL I!!!!

Offline Alex Patterson

• Patas
    • View Profile
Re: Open Gyms????
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 11:18:56 AM »
That's messed up. I haven't tried since I don't know of any gyms around here.  But that would just tick me off. 

Offline Jason C. Astor

• Mangabey
  • Never Give up, Never Surrender
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 12:32:30 PM »
I've had similar issues. Anywhere from "Uh, but your old" from some Teenager (im 26) to "No, 19 is our limit" and my favorite

Me- "Do you do open Gym?"
Gym woman- "oh Yeah, is it for your son or daughter? How old?"
Me- "I don't have kids, it's for me"
Woman- Super confused face.. "How old are you?"
Me- "I'm 26. I did a lot of martial arts growing up and I do Parkour. I just want a safe place to practice sometimes"
Women- Even more Confused face
Me- "Can I train here?"
Women- "Sorry, we just do cheer stuff"
David Belle once robbed a bank and left all the money on the Roof. He just wanted to prove that he could overcome any "Vault"..

"Those who lack the Courage will always find a Philosophy to justify it" -Camus

Offline Chad

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 12:38:11 PM »
i have had almost the exact same conversation with a gym out here...but i will give some credit to other gyms that have embraced me and actually allowed me to do some fun training ;D

Offline Jason C. Astor

• Mangabey
  • Never Give up, Never Surrender
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 12:39:23 PM »
Well, I found 1 but it's about 45 minutes away. I should really go check it out
David Belle once robbed a bank and left all the money on the Roof. He just wanted to prove that he could overcome any "Vault"..

"Those who lack the Courage will always find a Philosophy to justify it" -Camus

Offline Chad

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 01:44:42 PM »
You should...especially if they are open to the idea of an adult working out. have to support the good ones

Offline Jacob Siler

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 03:25:21 AM »
It isn't the gym's fault it is the major insurance provider for gymnastics gyms. They found that the majority of injuries where from 19+ year olds in open gym. Thus insurance is about money so they say no one over 19 is allowed, unless they are part of a team.

This goes against what USAG wants which is "gymnastics for all". People in USAG are working with insurance agencies but at the same time...not allowing 19+ year olds in the gym keep cost of the gym down. There is not a big enough market for them to out way the costs of the other insurance.

There is a loop hole where some gyms allow. If you get enough people to start a class they might be willing to do an "adult tumbling class"
Jake Siler
Doctorate of Chiropractic student at Life University

Bachelors of Science in Exercise Science from Western Michigan University

*post are not a medical suggestion, or expert advice. Just sharing knowledge and experience.