Author Topic: Revising the Landing: Speed vs. Stability  (Read 844 times)

Offline Matthew Wang

• Total Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • July 1st, 2008 - My first day of training
    • View Profile
Revising the Landing: Speed vs. Stability
« on: March 20, 2012, 10:08:46 AM »
Alright fellow parkour-ers. I've been working on moving through an environment with as much speed as possible and ran into the problem of landings.

When you land, is it better to land with your hands inbetween your legs, or outside of your legs? I'm not sure if it's just me but here's my experience with both of the two:

Landing with hands between the legs offers better absorption of the impact. For whatever reason, I seem to be able to stop my self better and land in a stronger, sturdier position. But this definitely kills momentum and takes more time to back up and start running again.

Landing with hands outside of the legs is the opposite effect: I get a sloppier landing but I can get up and running fast.

Of course, you always want as much control as possible, while being as fast as possible. But I can only seem to get one or the other. I'm not sure if this is because hands in or hands out provides actually has the differences I've described, or it's just my technique. What do you guys know?
http://www.washingtonparkour.com/
Need something Washington Parkour related?
matt@washingtonparkour.com
washington@americanparkour.com
10 PUSH UPS OR 5 PULL UPS PER POST

Offline Jason C. Astor

• Mangabey
  • Never Give up, Never Surrender
    • View Profile
Re: Revising the Landing: Speed vs. Stability
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 10:32:37 AM »
Well, hands inside your legs allows you to have your arms straighter which allows you to use more of more muscles (Pecs, Triceps, Abs, Shoulders). Arms outside you use less Tricep because your arms have to be fully extended but you can get up faster because your arms are less in the way of your legs.

Honestly this is all just me guessing but it kinda makes sense. I almost always have my hands between if i'm not rolling or doing a Ground Kong type move. I would almost always go with Stability though
David Belle once robbed a bank and left all the money on the Roof. He just wanted to prove that he could overcome any "Vault"..

"Those who lack the Courage will always find a Philosophy to justify it" -Camus

Offline Kimberly Heuer

• Patas
  • "Action Conquers Fear." -PNZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 02:37:26 PM »
If it's a situation where you're looking for speed I would just roll, which is better for impact anyways. And if you're not going to roll, I'd say go for the more stable hands between the legs. Then again, I've already had major knee and ankle surgery, so I am ALL about safety and impact control.
Passivity is a lie, there is only movement.
Through movement, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain expression.
Through expression, my chains are broken.
Movement shall free me.

Offline Ryan Sannar

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Jump Utah
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 06:26:17 AM »
This ^
10 push ups.