Author Topic: School Club  (Read 844 times)

Offline Shaun Andersen

• Mangabey
  • YouTube/TeamZeroGravityPK
    • View Profile
    • Zero Gravity Youtube Channel!
School Club
« on: December 21, 2011, 09:37:01 AM »
Let me start from the beginning.  I am 15 years old, and a Sophomore in High School.  The Friday we got out for Winter Break, our school had our usual assembly.  No big deal, until we saw the performances in the assembly.  They were terrible.  There was even some random guy, who did body pumping (Slowly and Terribly) while surrounded by random girls who did nothing.   After the assembly, lots of kids came up to me, my brother, and some of our freerunner friends and told us they think we should get the school to let us do some freerunning in the assembly.

We started thinking about it, and we were up for it.  But I think the only way the school would allow us to do that stuff for an assembly is if our school had a Freerunning & Parkour Club.

That's where I need help -.-  How can I convince the school to allow us to host that kind of club?  I would need good reasoning, so I want some tips from some of you guys.
Of course, this club could really help get more kids active and possibly find something they love to do!

« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 09:40:04 AM by Shaun Andersen »
Most recent video-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IkX_Bxv8b0

My Freerunning Crew is Zero Gravity.  Link up with us!-
www.YouTube.com/TeamZeroGravityPK

Like us on Facebook!-
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-Zero-Gravity/157938617554902

Offline Jordan Strybos

• Man of Skochy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • PKGA
Re: School Club
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 11:31:25 AM »
This sort of thing varies a lot from school to school depending on how lenient your administration is, but you essentially need to convince them that you guys are experienced, skilled, and reliable enough for them to put their trust in you and feel confident that under your supervision, no one who participates will get injured. Obviously, any sort of coaching certification would be beneficial in boosting your legitimacy, but if that is unattainable, then I would recommend just setting up a meeting with the principle and explaining your situation to him. Tell him that you realize that parkour is viewed as dangerous by some people, but your club is working to change that perspective. Above everything else, emphasize safety.

Offline Michael Bergeron

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 07:36:14 PM »
Here's a quick list of things you should look into before approaching the administration:

- Talk to the Track/field coach about being a faculty adviser....They could also help recruit track runners into the PK community, giving you a sizable roster to give to the school board.
- Establish a detailed plan of where and when you'll be training, and mention safety precautions you can set up.
- Get a hold of club leaders from http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/board,228.0.html and ask them about any paperwork they handed in during the establishing of their clubs.
Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
~George Carlin

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 12:32:35 PM »
I think it's very important that you understand this concept when approaching the school or any organization:

It hardly matters what you think about parkour, nor does it really matter what the administration thinks about parkour. The only thing that really matters is what the jury thinks about parkour when the prosecution presents its case and you and the administration must defend yourselves. You must seriously address the issue of being sued as if it will unavoidably happen.

One of the best things to do is what Jordan suggested: get any sort of certification you can. PK/FR certs as well as first-aid, CPR, defib... all of them. The first will give you a safety net (assuming you followed the PK cert rules) because you can say "We followed these rules from this national organization, we did everything right. It's not our fault Little Johnny slipped off a ledge and landed on his head." It's not foolproof, but it makes your position much, much stronger. Also, a first-aid certification would demonstrate that you recognize the danger and safety is a top priority to you.

A third protective step is to document your training sessions on video, demonstrating the simple and safe techniques that you drill over and over and over. We're talking stuff like the precision footwork from curb to curb. The prosecution will bring up all of the ridiculous videos of parkour on the Internet and tell the jury, "This is parkour. This stuff is just crazy and reckless." You can then be prepared to say "Yea, that stuff is related to parkour, but that's not what parkour is here, because we follow the tenets of this national organization" and you can easily demonstrate that through the videos.

If you want, I can send you a 45 minute interview I had with the Risk Manager and the Club Coordinator at Santa Clara University. I doubt you'd have as hard a time at your high school compared to SCU, but this will get you the most prepared in my opinion. :)
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline Spencer Young

• Mangabey
  • The Jack of all Trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 01:59:08 PM »
Just as all of above said, Be formal with it to let them know that you are serious.

Plus offer to give out safety waivers for the members if successful in getting the club up and running. Practice and rehearse what you are going to tell the principal. Good luck. Also get with the cheer leading advisers too, for the people that want to trick and do flips.
WIP

Offline DevintheNinja

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 07:34:32 AM »
Hey Shaun push the issue of safety first and foremost. Also if you need help you know how to contact me on FB ill help as much as I can.
LVPK-Las Vegas Parkour
Urban Aces LV
I'm a security guard that WILL CHASE YOU!!!!!
Devintheninja's twitter page

Offline Shaun Andersen

• Mangabey
  • YouTube/TeamZeroGravityPK
    • View Profile
    • Zero Gravity Youtube Channel!
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 09:22:36 AM »
Yea, I guessed that safety would be a huge concern -.-  But you know what, I'll use your guys's advice, and talk to whoever is incharge of these things.  :D

Most recent video-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IkX_Bxv8b0

My Freerunning Crew is Zero Gravity.  Link up with us!-
www.YouTube.com/TeamZeroGravityPK

Like us on Facebook!-
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-Zero-Gravity/157938617554902