Author Topic: Please follow and read the link posted.  (Read 5093 times)

Offline Ryan Sannar

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Jump Utah
Re: Please follow and read the link posted.
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2011, 09:16:42 PM »
Exactly my point kidzymarvel.
Thanks Nick.
10 push ups.

Offline steve dahlin

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Parkour/Freerunning/Tricking
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2011, 02:05:05 PM »
I just think that if you are doing a kong, your take off foot should be pre-determined, because if you are indecisive when you take off, you are going to take a wall to the knee.
I like Tricking and Free Running, i don't think i actually do parkour, because i do it for fun and self expression, which would change the term to free running.

Offline Nick Fernandez

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2011, 06:06:44 PM »
I already changed my mind on this. I'm just going to forget my left foot for takeoffs and just focus completely on my right foot when it comes to stride training, because what's the point of stride training both of your legs if you only practice konging off one of those legs anyway? It clicked to me that it has no effect if you try to, say walk to the curb 10 feet ahead of me and hit it with my right leg, then hit the next one with my left leg. I take everything off with my right leg in front anyway.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykbx-yzFgBo

"If you're afraid to fall, you'll fall because you're afraid." -Daniel Ilabaca

Offline tibo

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2011, 03:05:27 AM »
you can have a favourite side, but also have the other side trained and ready incase the situation presents itself where you need the bad side
It's only impossible if you think it is
No one was gifted anything, they fought for it...
if you think you have a problem then you do[

Offline Christopher

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2011, 06:20:54 PM »
Hmmm, perhaps one day we should have a precision and tic tac-ing session (one sided versus ambidextrous) what do you say?
{TEAM ONE-WAY}

Offline Jason C. Astor

• Mangabey
  • Never Give up, Never Surrender
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2012, 07:11:04 AM »
We have a favorite side simply because we've been programed to. Da Vinci could write with one hand while drawing with the left. Animals in the wild are right handed or left handed.

Parkour is about efficiency of life, now we all use it as exercises or fun or a means to impress chicks. However, if some shi* goes down and I gotta really use it to survive I don't want to have to only punch off my right foot or only speed onto my left arm. Say I get cut, just bad enough that I cant put all my weight on that leg or arm. If I haven't trained to addapt to either side of my body then all this training is for not. Just because of one little cut.
Watch any action or horror movie, the "Tough Guy" gets killed or hurt because he was taking just a little out of his comforte zone. 

Learn to be Balanced my friends
David Belle once robbed a bank and left all the money on the Roof. He just wanted to prove that he could overcome any "Vault"..

"Those who lack the Courage will always find a Philosophy to justify it" -Camus

Offline Conrad Moser

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2012, 12:24:04 PM »
I agree with both parts. Most people do have a "strong" side, by preference or by upbringing, but you should still be at least familiar if not comfortable with moves on both sides. I would rather be 75% proficient with one side and 25% with the other, than 100% with one side and completely incapable of the other.
Age is just another obstacle. Get over it.

Offline Dallas Oeder

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Waaaah!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2012, 02:04:42 PM »
I agree with both parts. Most people do have a "strong" side, by preference or by upbringing, but you should still be at least familiar if not comfortable with moves on both sides. I would rather be 75% proficient with one side and 25% with the other, than 100% with one side and completely incapable of the other.

Agreed. I think that learning to lazy or tic tac (for arguments sake) with your "dark side" is important, maybe even learning how to speed or kong vault. But, at that same time, I'd much rather be MORE proficient with my dominant side than the other, as that's where my comfort zone is, and that's where I will perform most admirably.

And to further the argument, "if" is a pretty big two letter word. If I came into a situation where I needed to use my left side, I would, even if I knew I was terrible with it. But I'd make the best of it, because that's what I needed to do. For now, this newbie is gonna focus on his right side. Once I get everything down fairly good, then maybe I'll start doing some simple stuff on my left side. Until then, It's just another thing to think about training for.
Parkour is.

Offline Jason C. Astor

• Mangabey
  • Never Give up, Never Surrender
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2012, 01:02:50 PM »
I guess my entire training mentality comes from years of martial arts training. When we practiced kicks or punches or forms we practiced equally if not more with the weak side to help it "Catch up". The same is true for cops with shooting. They're made to shoot "Strong side" Weak side".

If is a big word, kinda, but if something really did require me to use my weak side I would already want atleast a base to work with. The whole point of drilling moves low to the ground or no far apart is so you can ingrain the actions into your muscles. So when we are high up or in need of this skill we can use it with-out thinking or having to "try".

But that's just how I feel about it
David Belle once robbed a bank and left all the money on the Roof. He just wanted to prove that he could overcome any "Vault"..

"Those who lack the Courage will always find a Philosophy to justify it" -Camus

Offline Conrad Moser

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2012, 04:33:51 PM »
Oddly enough (or maybe not?) my "strong side" is not my primary side. Meaning, I'm primarily right-handed except I move more naturally to my left. The left side of my body is also stronger, whereas my right side is more dextrous.

Offline Nick Fernandez

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2012, 06:17:32 PM »
Same for me, actually. I think that's how it may be for most people anyway. I'm left-handed but I can really only lazy vault effectively to my right.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykbx-yzFgBo

"If you're afraid to fall, you'll fall because you're afraid." -Daniel Ilabaca

Offline steve dahlin

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Parkour/Freerunning/Tricking
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2012, 09:32:33 PM »
Yea, thats how it is for most people, it's probably more about taking off on your strong leg and swinging your weaker leg, you're probably more flexible lifting this leg as well, adding to the effortlessness to the move. 
I like Tricking and Free Running, i don't think i actually do parkour, because i do it for fun and self expression, which would change the term to free running.

Offline Conrad Moser

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2012, 09:15:38 AM »
Ah, okay, I didn't understand it but makes sense now.

Offline Christopher

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2012, 04:15:13 PM »
Thanks for the constructive thoughts peoples =)
{TEAM ONE-WAY}

Offline Sam Dutton

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2012, 11:44:03 AM »
Being ambidextrious is important to a degree. Lazy vaults and tic tacs are a must, but giant dive kongs aren't even all that useful in an emergency. A lot of the time a can't even see the ground on the other side of the obstacle I am konging, so I probably wouldn't do something like that in an emergency. I would just jump on top off it and then run over it. So why should I train giant kongs with my bad side to be useful when it wouldn't even be very useful with my good side? Speeds from your bad side would be more useful, but most of what you would speed could just be jumped over. So my list of things to train both sides will be tic tacs, lazys and and just plain jumping, then wall runs, then speeds, and at the very end, kongs.