Author Topic: Front "Tucks" - To tuck or not to tuck?  (Read 1758 times)

Offline Nick Fernandez

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Front "Tucks" - To tuck or not to tuck?
« on: November 01, 2011, 09:01:50 PM »
It's been a decent amount of time since I started training how to front tuck/flip, and while the key word is "tuck" I notice that in some videos my buddies take of me attempting it my legs are barely bent, only enough to grab my legs. I understand that the shoulders should be leading the rotation and not the legs, but I also understand the tighter you are tucked in a ball the faster you will rotate.

It seems that the majority of threads I've seen here discourage bringing the knees to chest but rather your chest and upper body to your knees so you don't counteract your own rotation, but how can I counteract something that I don't have? I recently viewed some videos involving front tucks and noticed that the people performing the flip DO in fact bring their knees to their chest along with driving their shoulders down for the initial rotation. Of course the knees do not drive completely up, but enough to be tucked in that you reach the O shape.

I just wanted to hear some of your thoughts on this, because I am going to experiment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykbx-yzFgBo

"If you're afraid to fall, you'll fall because you're afraid." -Daniel Ilabaca

Offline steve dahlin

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Parkour/Freerunning/Tricking
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: Front "Tucks" - To tuck or not to tuck?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 09:45:50 PM »
can you show us a video of your front flip, i can tell you what you're doing wrong.
I like Tricking and Free Running, i don't think i actually do parkour, because i do it for fun and self expression, which would change the term to free running.

Offline Swa

• Patas
  • Life's short, make fun of it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 10:33:28 PM »
when i do mine, i dont worry about the concept about bringing the chest to the knees, because i just bring them in.   If i think of chest down to knees, then i tend to rotate downwards.  Instead, i lead with my shoulders and tuck them upwards in the back kind of like a reversed back tuck.  This causes me to set a little farther forward, but if you play with it a bit, then you can get really really high.  I'm working on double fronts on the floor right now and this technique works just great for me.  Its all about messing around with it and finding what works best.

*what i did when i first tried to find out how to tuck, I would reach all the way down to my ankles, not knees.  This was on a tramp that i experimented with, and it had helped me so much with the concept of rotation speed changing.  Don't over think the front flip.  Just jump up, lead the tuck, remember to block, and make yourself small as you go around, and you have plenty of time for a stepout that way for a nice smooth impressive landing.  They take some getting used to.

have a nice day

Offline steve dahlin

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Parkour/Freerunning/Tricking
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 10:37:35 AM »
experimenting on the trampoline, i learned that you need to jump, reach the peak of your jump then tuck.
the most frequent mistakes i see are people not tucking at the peak of their jump, and people jumping forward instead of up.

I like Tricking and Free Running, i don't think i actually do parkour, because i do it for fun and self expression, which would change the term to free running.

Offline Nick Fernandez

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 04:18:06 PM »
It's not height that's the problem. Especially on a trampoline you can still get a couple feet of air while jumping forward :P I make a constant effort to delay that sometimes I start falling before I actually tuck.

So instead of having no height and a fast rotation, I'm now at peak of height and average rotation. But I'm beginning to think the reason people say you shouldn't bring your knees to your chest is because they bring their knees up and then start the rotation, as while what I'm thinking of is driving your torso down for the rotation but grabbing your knees into your chest to increase the rotation. So sort of somewhere around 80% down with your upper body and 20% up with your lower body.

Hopefully I didn't just answer my own question  :-[

Offline Shyam Subramanian

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 04:17:04 PM »
If you consciously try to bring your chest down to your knees, your chest will fall and you'll be rotating with your hips as the center point.  So basically your height will be focused around where your hips are at the moment when you start the tuck.

Instead, the key to front flips is trying to bring your butt up and over your head, rotating with your head as the center point.  That way, your height will be right around where your head was when you started rotating.  You want your butt to go up and above while your head stays in the same spot, so ideally you are at head height when you flip.

So forget about tucking knees to chest or whatever, just don’t consciously bring your chest down.  Just go out and try to do a front flip, but focus on getting your hips over your head instead of focusing on tucking crazy for rotation speed.  I swear, you will notice improvement your first try ☺

Good luck!

Oh yea, and tuck at your ankles.  It really does help
CTPK -|Trumbull Parkour|-

Offline Nick Fernandez

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 06:00:08 PM »
If you consciously try to bring your chest down to your knees, your chest will fall and you'll be rotating with your hips as the center point.  So basically your height will be focused around where your hips are at the moment when you start the tuck.

Instead, the key to front flips is trying to bring your butt up and over your head, rotating with your head as the center point. 
So forget about tucking knees to chest or whatever, just don’t consciously bring your chest down. 

A little confusing.

I thought that the high hips comes with the flip. Threw me off when you said your chest shouldn't be going down to your knees, unless you can point me towards an example of what this looks like. I thought that the idea was to use your chest to begin the rotation; whenever I used my hips to rotate, I ended up not getting any height because my legs were shooting me forward instead of upward. The only time I ever landed a front like this was on a trampoline and it looked like some crazy no handed handspring because I was relying on the bounce to push my legs over.

Basically whenever I see a video of a front tuck I'm just starting to notice that it's a combination of bringing your arms and chest down but also putting your knees up to get that ball form. So, we may be talking about the same thing :P

Oh yea, and tuck at your ankles.  It really does help

Yeah, I started doing that a looong time ago when I realized that whenever I tucked I kept missing my knees, lol. But I agree, it helps your rotation a lot and you can bring your legs in even closer, which brings back to the title. I'll see if I can finally bring in a video of my front tuck for this topic in a couple days. Is there a way I can upload the video straight from my computer to a post?

Offline Shyam Subramanian

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 05:06:20 PM »
I made a shitty drawing for you lol.

basically the first guy is rotating around his head.  the second guy is rotating around his hips.  Guy number 2 is doing this because he chucked his chest down.  Guy number 1 is doing this because he chucked his ass up :D

you want to be guy number 1.

Is there a way I can upload the video straight from my computer to a post?

No, you'll have to put it on youtube or another video share site :P

Btw, these are my friend Zach's front at around 40 seconds.  They're the best fronts I've ever seen, so I would practice them like he does them lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emeYwVCyXB4
CTPK -|Trumbull Parkour|-

Offline Nick Fernandez

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 09:12:57 PM »
Drawing gets point out so I guess it works, lol. Looks like it's possible to compare the techniques between a kong vault and a front flip, if you know what I'm saying. Getting your hips high is really important for the center of gravity. So bottom line is don't throw your chest all the way to the ground but keeping the center of gravity even. Sorry, this is probably confusing for everyone else but me :P

Btw, these are my friend Zach's front at around 40 seconds.  They're the best fronts I've ever seen, so I would practice them like he does them lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emeYwVCyXB4

Saw this vid b4, which I thought was a good one to bring up. I paused around 0:43-:44 and he actually brings his knees in so close he almost buries his face between them. Confirms my theory now which is bringing your knees in when you're about horizontal to the ground. Makes sense to me this way because the force redirects forward anyway.

I'll be practicing my fronts tomorrow, so I'll get a chance to shoot some videos possibly. I'll compare my current front flips and try the new technique and see how it goes.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 08:29:29 AM by Nick Fernandez »