Author Topic: Forum Revival-Give us your thoughts  (Read 6717 times)

Offline Ryan Sannar

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Jump Utah
Re: Forum Revival-Give us your thoughts
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2011, 02:09:19 PM »
+1 Steve.

P.s. Let me in on the coding action!
10 push ups.

Offline Stevie Leifheit

• smexy dood
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • A1....like the sauce.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2011, 02:15:30 PM »
+1 Steve.

P.s. Let me in on the coding action!

What coding action?
Weight training alongside parkour always benefits, it never takes away.

Quote from: Joe Brock
It's like you are some kind of APK Angel...not the girly kind...but the big "Sodom destroying" ones!!!

Offline Ryan Sannar

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Jump Utah
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2011, 02:18:03 PM »
I'm assuming its .php right? I like doing webpages and stuff.
10 push ups.

Offline Matthew Wang

• Total Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • July 1st, 2008 - My first day of training
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2011, 11:06:14 AM »
The forums change because times change, Facebook has grabbed a big part of the parkour conversation. If i post a video in pics and vids it will get maybe a couple responses and 20-30 views same video posted on facebook gets 10-15 comments and 100 views.

The growth of the community as mentioned above is also huge, most of the people who were active posters 3 years ago are busy leading communities setting up gyms etc that or they dropped out. The topics of conversation that are important now, how to foster community, how to teach, building up grassroots events and competitions, this stuff that doesn't tend to be very productive to talk about online. Most of the important stuff from the past is in sticky somewhere and veterans are loathe to go over the same old points again for new comers or get dragged into the same tired debates.

Pretty much what Rafe said sums it up. I've been around these forums for almost 4 years now (whoa, it's been that long already?). I'd have to say my first two years were when APK was bustling with tons of activity. I was on these forums for a couple hours a day (WITH OVER 1500 POSTS, NOT EVEN INCLUDING THE 700 OR SO I'VE POSTED IN SOCIALIZE!!11!BWHAHAHA). Now I'm on here for about 10 minutes a week.

So why have I stopped visiting the forums so much? Well, as many have already mentioned, forums change depending on the people who come and go. Rafe said many of us are busy with other things, whether it be leading the community elsewhere, or other things in life have caught our attention. For me, I'm more focused on the local Washington community and my school work. Many others have begun to start their own parkour clubs at colleges or opened up their parkour gyms. We're busy people, we don't have time for browsing a forum all day anymore.

The change in the members also plays a part. I'm going to call the group of people I saw regularly on the forums those few years ago "my generation" of posters. I would see the same people post practically every day, all day long. I got know to the generation of posters that I was apart of pretty well, in fact that's how I've come to know the many traceurs around the states that I do now. When I saw many of them had left to attend to more important matters, I found it less appealing to live, breathe, and eat on the forums. As these friends I came to knew moved on, I felt I should move on too. The discussions change over time (and they run through cycles, actually), and weren't as appealing anymore without the generation of posters I was from. Also, a lot of discussions become repetitive for us that have been on here for a long time. Talking about the difference between PK and FR, or similar ideas a million times is not the most interesting thing do.

As time goes on, people come and go. When people change, discussions change. When discussions change, older members may not find it as appealing. But you see, the next generation of posters (you guys) are disscussing topics as a group, much like my generation did. So everything kinda runs in a cycle. That's how I see it.

6) Encourage well-known practitioners or leaders in the community to post more, even if it's just in a special Advanced section. People, newcomers especially, often come because they saw the moves their heroes did online. If they come on and see Frosti posted just yesterday giving advice or just clowning around, it's a pretty cool feeling.

This. I remember in my first months of learning parkour. I would see the guys from the Tribe or APK Alliance posting on the forum regularly like everyone else. It was really cool. These superhumanbeingpeople were posting and using this forum just like I was. In fact, I was TALKING to them. Through the forums I got to learn about the personalities and backgrounds of each of these guys. When you first start parkour, the guys with big names become your inspiration. But later on, I came to realize that they're just regular people. And I've actually met and jammed with most of these guys. Now they seem like regular, everyday people to me, but will still appear as heroes to new members. It was really cool back then getting to know them in a real, person-to-person conversation on the forums.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 11:15:39 AM by Matthew Wang »
http://www.washingtonparkour.com/
Need something Washington Parkour related?
matt@washingtonparkour.com
washington@americanparkour.com
10 PUSH UPS OR 5 PULL UPS PER POST

Offline Mr.WWII

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Do what you can't, Parkour.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2011, 12:40:30 PM »
TBH, the thing I hate more than anything else, is the overwhelming amount of new people clogging the forums with questions like "how do I roll? or "I'm afraid to vault, what do I do?" or "I land on my back when I try to front flip, what am I doing wrong?" ..... I HATE THIS!!! Whatever happened to just figuring things out for one-self? Going outside, practicing the moves, and rationalizing for yourself why you're not able to land it? Isn't that the cornerstone of parkour, finding your own path..?
I'm tired of people asking what they are doing wrong in their move when it is beyond obvious. Whenever someone asks "what am I doing wrong in my frontflip?" I just want to say "the frontflip! you're doing the front flip wrong." If someone is not tucking and their head practically hits the ground I feel like there is nothing I need to say. Do they really need to be told to get more height? They couldn't figure that out themselves!? Especially when there are 5 million tutorials on youtube and we reference them all the time, people really shouldn't have to ask for help with something unless it is a super specific problem. All this "im afraid to do this, what do I do?" shit too, I can't stand it. If you want to get over fear, watch the youtube progression tutorials, and go outside and get over it. We can't help you anymore than you can help yourself get over fear. Stop wasting time on here when the answers are elsewhere.

With my angry and hopefully not too offensive rant out of the way, I can now talk about suggestions. The biggest problem is that this really is about people, and I don't know if there is anything we can do to change this. Maybe new people will clog the boards with questions about how to vault no matter what we do. But anyway, a couple suggestions.

1. We should all reply to generic technique questions (how do u do a monkey vault? how do you do a precision?) with youtube tutorials first. This would at least set a precedent that anything more is not necessary and if people want to learn how to do something, there is plenty of info in youtube vids that they can research on their own time.
2. Maybe there just needs to be one single stickied thread about each generic skill and any new ones should be deleted. There seems to be a new thread about rolling nearly everyday lol this should be stopped

umm, I don't know what else to say. I agree with a lot of things said so far though. This forum used to be a lot better, but I think that was more about the people than anything else. Now the majority of people on here seem to be immature kids or pretentious teenagers/adults. I notice a lot of video game nerds too... but that's just an observation, anyone else notice that? Gamers just seem to love parkour...

Anyway, I don't mean to offend anyone. I just wish more new comers would research their questions on their own and try to figure things out for themselves instead of asking people on a forum to waste their time replying

Offline Stevie Leifheit

• smexy dood
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • A1....like the sauce.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2011, 01:23:26 PM »
Is this the type of thread you were thinking about? I made it a while back, but I need to get some of the 404 error codes fixed. I made it hoping we could simply reference people to it and that would take care of it.

Take a look, here's the link: http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,33177.0.html

It's like you are some kind of APK Angel...not the girly kind...but the big "Sodom destroying" ones!!!

Offline Mr.WWII

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Do what you can't, Parkour.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2011, 01:45:08 PM »
Is this the type of thread you were thinking about? I made it a while back, but I need to get some of the 404 error codes fixed. I made it hoping we could simply reference people to it and that would take care of it.

Take a look, here's the link: http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,33177.0.html

absolutely, that needs to be referenced like the bible.

Offline Stevie Leifheit

• smexy dood
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • A1....like the sauce.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2011, 02:12:12 PM »
absolutely, that needs to be referenced like the bible.

We could even make a board just for threads like, "I'm afraid", and "how do I roll"...you know, the noob stuff. If topics like that come up other places, I can move them. The new board can even have a mod of its own that his sole job is to give instruction, or reference that thread.

That will keep clutter threads out of boards like General Discussion.

Thoughts?

Offline Ryan Sannar

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Jump Utah
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2011, 02:38:09 PM »
Good idea Steve.
10 push ups.

Offline Nick Fernandez

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2011, 05:24:24 PM »
TBH, the thing I hate more than anything else, is the overwhelming amount of new people clogging the forums with questions like "how do I roll? or "I'm afraid to vault, what do I do?" or "I land on my back when I try to front flip, what am I doing wrong?" ..... I HATE THIS!!! Whatever happened to just figuring things out for one-self? Going outside, practicing the moves, and rationalizing for yourself why you're not able to land it? Isn't that the cornerstone of parkour, finding your own path..?
I'm tired of people asking what they are doing wrong in their move when it is beyond obvious. Whenever someone asks "what am I doing wrong in my frontflip?" I just want to say "the frontflip! you're doing the front flip wrong." If someone is not tucking and their head practically hits the ground I feel like there is nothing I need to say. Do they really need to be told to get more height? They couldn't figure that out themselves!? Especially when there are 5 million tutorials on youtube and we reference them all the time, people really shouldn't have to ask for help with something unless it is a super specific problem. All this "im afraid to do this, what do I do?" shit too, I can't stand it. If you want to get over fear, watch the youtube progression tutorials, and go outside and get over it. We can't help you anymore than you can help yourself get over fear. Stop wasting time on here when the answers are elsewhere.

With my angry and hopefully not too offensive rant out of the way, I can now talk about suggestions. The biggest problem is that this really is about people, and I don't know if there is anything we can do to change this. Maybe new people will clog the boards with questions about how to vault no matter what we do.

It's funny you mentioned that, because after just a short time of seeing threads pop up over and over again in the Movement section I realized that I already knew exactly what I had to do, but it just had to do with going out and practicing it over and over again.

Some of the people here don't realize that you'll probably get more improvement actually PRACTICING instead of asking the same question over and over again, but at the same time some people don't have others with them to watch their technique or have specific questions. Like you guys were saying, you could post a sticky for each specific movement and gather up all the good information from each previous thread and throw it in there. But for now I think it would be best that whenever there's a generic question being asked, without a video or a really specific problem, it should be prohibited from saying anything other than: "Search button" or "This thread right here"

umm, I don't know what else to say. I agree with a lot of things said so far though. This forum used to be a lot better, but I think that was more about the people than anything else. Now the majority of people on here seem to be immature kids or pretentious teenagers/adults. I notice a lot of video game nerds too... but that's just an observation, anyone else notice that? Gamers just seem to love parkour...

Sorry, but that's just the way it is now. Gamers want to be more productive and do something badass because games like Assassin's Creed and Mirror's Edge have been out for a while now and are realizing this kind of stuff is possible. I was inspired by games like Assassin's Creed at one point that made me question the button that said "Free run", but I wouldn't say that it made me start all this. I don't want to feel like some sort of "purist" who found parkour without video games, but it does tire me a bit when people say: "I want to be like Faith/I want to do it so my hidden blade is useful now"

The reason the gamers spend time on the forum is because that's just it. They play on the computer or the Xbox and the APK forums just happen to be a click away. It's convenient and they want to learn as much as they can about building up to being David Belle. That's what it was like for me when I first visited these forums, but it's a stage that comes and goes. I built the commitment to make priorities in improving my parkour skills. There are some people who have "done" parkour for years on YouTube and never really been that great, where there are some who have been doing it for a few months and have a lot of potential already. It's the fact that it's the individual's choice (or the gamer's), whether they are going to go outside and practice parkour or going back to playing parkour in a video game that day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykbx-yzFgBo

"If you're afraid to fall, you'll fall because you're afraid." -Daniel Ilabaca

Offline Stevie Leifheit

• smexy dood
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • A1....like the sauce.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2011, 05:35:01 PM »

Offline DevintheNinja

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2011, 06:25:25 PM »

With my angry and hopefully not too offensive rant out of the way, I can now talk about suggestions. The biggest problem is that this really is about people, and I don't know if there is anything we can do to change this. Maybe new people will clog the boards with questions about how to vault no matter what we do. But anyway, a couple suggestions.

1. We should all reply to generic technique questions (how do u do a monkey vault? how do you do a precision?) with youtube tutorials first. This would at least set a precedent that anything more is not necessary and if people want to learn how to do something, there is plenty of info in youtube vids that they can research on their own time.
2. Maybe there just needs to be one single stickied thread about each generic skill and any new ones should be deleted. There seems to be a new thread about rolling nearly everyday lol this should be stopped

Anyway, I don't mean to offend anyone. I just wish more new comers would research their questions on their own and try to figure things out for themselves instead of asking people on a forum to waste their time replying

look a the tricking subforum, i have done that damn near every single time. not to mention i always ask people to post a video of themselves doing the move so i can help further
LVPK-Las Vegas Parkour
Urban Aces LV
I'm a security guard that WILL CHASE YOU!!!!!
Devintheninja's twitter page

Offline Stevie Leifheit

• smexy dood
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • A1....like the sauce.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2011, 07:00:05 PM »
We could even make a board just for threads like, "I'm afraid", and "how do I roll"...you know, the noob stuff. If topics like that come up other places, I can move them. The new board can even have a mod of its own that his sole job is to give instruction, or reference that thread.

That will keep clutter threads out of boards like General Discussion.

Thoughts?

If I can get someone who has proven responsible to volunteer, I'll make them mod of this new board if they want to help link people to that thread and stuff of that sort.

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2011, 07:13:23 PM »
Pretty much what Rafe said.

If there isn't lots of new people coming in willing to take up and learn, as well as new people who want to learn and are taught by those people the forum(s) will eventually experience a slow decline.

Performance Menu / Catalyst Athletics is a good example. Most of the older members pretty much just don't post anymore at all. Many have families or are actually just training now instead of discussing training. We know what we need to know to do well with our lives.

There's very few people with as much patience to stick around and keep on educating the same topics over and over..... and people for some odd reason want people to cater to them and answer their questions rather than read the sticky... and get offended when you tell them to ready the sticky.

It is what it is really... :P

I don't really hang out anywhere except for gen fitness and injuries so... yeah. Most of the older members like from the tribe who were way active back in '05 and '06 have lives/families/etc. and are actually doing stuff now

And just so you should know... creating stickies and eliminating redundant threads really doesn't do much. They'll pop up anyway regardless even if you delete them and whatever. Having a good sticky help though.... to an extent.

If you have low quality posters though.... it's kind of a waste. can't really help it with PK/FR... you get the good with the bad.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 07:21:58 PM by Steven Low »
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline Jordan Strybos

• Man of Skochy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • PKGA
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2011, 09:17:58 AM »
And just so you should know... creating stickies and eliminating redundant threads really doesn't do much. They'll pop up anyway regardless even if you delete them and whatever. Having a good sticky help though.... to an extent.

If you have low quality posters though.... it's kind of a waste. can't really help it with PK/FR... you get the good with the bad.

QFT. Making really useful and prominent stickies is a great move, but it won't stop the same endless, repetitive threads.

Offline Tom Heyl

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2011, 10:15:54 AM »
Just a thought, but when someone registers you should put a page up that explains that if they need help that there are plenty of tutorials out there, and that they need to be very specific in there questions, and that they should use the search function to look for a similar page first.

Most people would just skip over it and just post what they wanted anyway. However you could use a tactic to make them read it.

Basically you would put a blank box at the bottom of the page, and somewhere in the wall of text and rules it would tell you the word to unlock the page so you could go on to post or view the forums.

I've seen it on a few forums, just throwing out a suggestion, and the idea could be easily modified to fit APK in some way.

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2011, 06:58:52 PM »
I know it's possible to do...... but I don;t know if this particular variation of forum can do it

Some forums when you put in a new thread topic.... can recommend certain other threads with similar topics to read.... before creating a thread
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline KC Parsons

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat. Move. Improve.
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2011, 08:37:57 AM »
Possibly a chat feature.

This would be awesome.

You misunderstand GPK.
Maybe you should read the subforum.
If Jujimufu or Antonie Val did PK, they'd be in that subforum.
I'm a 200 lb. bodybuilder. That's kinda the point right thur.
Come at me bro.

it's ok, he's just jelly brah

Offline karl harlone

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2011, 01:20:47 PM »
You misunderstand GPK.
Maybe you should read the subforum.
If Jujimufu or Antonie Val did PK, they'd be in that subforum.
I'm a 200 lb. bodybuilder. That's kinda the point right thur.
Come at me bro.

Nah bro, I don't wanna invoke the roid rage. That's kinda the point right thur.

Offline Kyle Rudolph

• Killed Karma.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Pokemon Master
    • View Profile
    • GorillaPK
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2011, 03:59:29 PM »
Nah bro, I don't wanna invoke the roid rage. That's kinda the point right thur.
Then bo down brah.
Aren't we all running?

www.tricksession.com
www.iifym.com
www.broscience.com

Kyle "Kyper" Rudolph
American College of Sports Medicine Personal Trainer
U.S. Army Healthcare Specialist
St. George's Medical School Student: Orthopedic Surgery Class of 2015