Author Topic: Drops...How are they even possible?  (Read 3344 times)

Offline nuclearapplepie

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
Drops...How are they even possible?
« on: October 19, 2011, 03:13:35 PM »
One of my biggest fascination with parkour is the absolutely superhuman drops. One such as this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIgPMkGJ2v4, and this crazy russian one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUZMLNG8UZA. One of my friend told me that he saw a video of a guy who jump from the second floor onto a rail.

How does one train toward achieving something like that? I mean, to me, that's just the epitome of human ability(besides impossible running precisions); and hell if I would be able to do that I wouldn't want to do anything else ;D. Does anyone have any experience with drops around that magnitude?

Also, if anyone comes across crazy running precision videos, let us know!

Offline Conrad Moser

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
Re: Drops...How are they even possible?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 03:48:14 PM »
Lots of training, lots of strength/conditioning, and the willingness or indifference to severely injuring or crippling yourself.

Keep in mind: Russians (or other ex-Soviet and eastern Europeans) are FU**ING CRAZY.
Age is just another obstacle. Get over it.

Offline nuclearapplepie

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 03:58:51 PM »
Lots of training, lots of strength/conditioning, and the willingness or indifference to severely injuring or crippling yourself.

Keep in mind: Russians (or other ex-Soviet and eastern Europeans) are FU**ING CRAZY.
I mean, seriously!!  ::)
The human body has amazing potential and ability; in a sense, parkour can be compared to shaolin iron-body, qui gong, and mysticism for its ability to push the body to its physical and mental limit.
I know the risks; and I have spent the last 4 months paying dearly for it. I'm asking this not because I think it's rad to drop and jump; it just inspiring to see(or don't see) the limits of the human body

Offline Shyam Subramanian

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 04:21:29 PM »
Stronger legs + better technique = bigger drops :)
CTPK -|Trumbull Parkour|-

Offline Conrad Moser

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 04:51:15 PM »
No, seriously. To survuive drops like that you need strong legs and knees, to absorb the impact; also have to roll properly to disperse the impact. You can train jumping from heights but there's always the increased risk of injury from increased heights. I guess you can practice on mats and pads.
Age is just another obstacle. Get over it.

Offline Matthew Wang

• Total Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • July 1st, 2008 - My first day of training
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 06:26:52 PM »
One of my biggest fascination with parkour is the absolutely superhuman drops. One such as this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIgPMkGJ2v4, and this crazy russian one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUZMLNG8UZA. One of my friend told me that he saw a video of a guy who jump from the second floor onto a rail.

How does one train toward achieving something like that? I mean, to me, that's just the epitome of human ability(besides impossible running precisions); and hell if I would be able to do that I wouldn't want to do anything else ;D. Does anyone have any experience with drops around that magnitude?

Also, if anyone comes across crazy running precision videos, let us know!

By the way, in the first video, if I remember right, I read something about that guy breaking either a leg or an arm doing that backflip.

Even though it is very possible to handle drops like that, you must be an ABSOLUTE MASTER of rolls and landings if you hope to come out of them unscathed.
http://www.washingtonparkour.com/
Need something Washington Parkour related?
matt@washingtonparkour.com
washington@americanparkour.com
10 PUSH UPS OR 5 PULL UPS PER POST

Offline Nick Fernandez

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 08:03:55 PM »
I don't believe that the guy in the first link broke anything. If anything he walked away like it was getting out of bed, even gave a high five to the guy below him. If he broke anything he must be tough as nails to still be able to use it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykbx-yzFgBo

"If you're afraid to fall, you'll fall because you're afraid." -Daniel Ilabaca

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 08:56:17 PM »
The guy in the first video is Cyrill Rafaelli I have never heard he was injured doing that, he is one of the elite stunt men in the world.

The second video blew my mind, but I allways wondered why they didn't show the landing, I think I have figured it out, the landing spot is actually a very deep pile of hay. Which moves this from WTF not possible to very impressive but not totally insane category.
I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.

Offline nuclearapplepie

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 09:29:45 PM »
The guy in the first video is Cyrill Rafaelli I have never heard he was injured doing that, he is one of the elite stunt men in the world.

The second video blew my mind, but I allways wondered why they didn't show the landing, I think I have figured it out, the landing spot is actually a very deep pile of hay. Which moves this from WTF not possible to very impressive but not totally insane category.
awwwww man are you serious? :(. I almost idolize the guy just for that jump. But hold on; does anyone know if it is physically possible to perform something like that onto concrete? I mean Cyrill dropped straight down; it was technically riskier than Archangel. But still, that was at least 15 feet drop and the guy just stand up like he dropped 3 feet

Offline steve dahlin

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Parkour/Freerunning/Tricking
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 01:34:38 AM »
Same Crazy Russain people
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAwJfLLXpzQ
2 days later, he he decided to give his legs a break, and dive roll down a story
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyvT2srNBII

on a side note, toward the end of this video, Gizmo takes suicidal drops multiple times, and it's hilarious to watch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p2shHkRrtk
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 01:36:22 AM by Grip »
I like Tricking and Free Running, i don't think i actually do parkour, because i do it for fun and self expression, which would change the term to free running.

Offline Stevie Leifheit

• smexy dood
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • A1....like the sauce.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 05:25:39 AM »

I'm pretty sure I saw the landing in a video once. It was pretty obvious it was a rug over some trash bags or something. But still...
Weight training alongside parkour always benefits, it never takes away.

Quote from: Joe Brock
It's like you are some kind of APK Angel...not the girly kind...but the big "Sodom destroying" ones!!!

Offline Tyler Summers

• Mangabey
  • La maladie du traceur
    • View Profile
    • Tylers911
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 06:10:41 AM »

I always thought that it was Cole and Chase Armitage in that first video.
2 Samuel 22
30 For by you I can run against a troop; By my God I can leap over a wall.
33 God is my strength and power, And He makes my way perfect.
34 ...he sets me on my high places.
37 you enlarged my path under me; so my feet did not slip.

Offline Jordan Strybos

• Man of Skochy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • PKGA
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 07:24:35 AM »
Stronger legs + better technique = the capability of but not necessarily the need for bigger drops :)

Fixed.

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 03:42:12 PM »
Anybody can fall.

I bet your their knees were yelling at them afterward. Just because they did them doesn't mean they did them completely free of damage.
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline steve dahlin

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Parkour/Freerunning/Tricking
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2011, 04:27:13 PM »
Adrenaline can make you superhuman.
in a normal circumstance your muscles will only work at a small percentage of what they are capable of, if you have a large adrenaline rush then your muscles work much more efficiently.
I like Tricking and Free Running, i don't think i actually do parkour, because i do it for fun and self expression, which would change the term to free running.

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2011, 04:51:43 PM »
Adrenaline can make you superhuman.
in a normal circumstance your muscles will only work at a small percentage of what they are capable of, if you have a large adrenaline rush then your muscles work much more efficiently.
Tell that to the laws of physics.

From what I've been able to find, hysterical strength doesn't have a lot of scientific backing.

There's also something to be said for the after-effects for real adrenaline induced superhuman-ness.

EDIT: Muscle efficiency/torque does improve, but not like 1000% or anything.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 04:56:27 PM by Alec Furtado »
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline Jordan Strybos

• Man of Skochy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • PKGA
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2011, 04:52:49 PM »
Tell that to the laws of physics.

From what I've been able to find, hysterical strength doesn't have a lot of scientific backing.

There's also something to be said for the after-effects for real adrenaline induced superhuman-ness.

/agree.

Offline Eric Reynolds

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2011, 05:17:36 PM »
i have a theory why Russians are so f'ing crazy. its so cold, they cant feel the pain when they do a 30 foot superman.

Offline Nick Fernandez

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2011, 06:08:17 PM »
Stereotypical against Russians? Or ground land on you?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykbx-yzFgBo

"If you're afraid to fall, you'll fall because you're afraid." -Daniel Ilabaca

Offline Eric Reynolds

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2011, 06:39:17 PM »
Im part russian, so no. It was just a joke dude.