Author Topic: This is why we don't have good training spots in America...  (Read 6746 times)

Offline Ryan Sannar

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Jump Utah
Re: This is why we don't have good training spots in America...
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2011, 08:26:44 AM »
+1 to Ryan for taking initiative. Sick stuff bro.
10 push ups.

Offline Ryan A. Vetter

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2011, 08:45:40 AM »
A modest thankyou, but I speak truth when I say it's as easy as it sounds, I guarantee if you stare at an object long enough, and sometimes if you squint, you'll see an obstacle.
So long as I have parkour I'm okay.

Offline Memitchi

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2011, 04:15:54 PM »
Ryan, (the one asking about jumping wooden fences) I figured the fastest way to pass over those dumpy, unstable wooden fences are to tic tac (just on your own property, I'm not encouraging you do this on other people's houses), or pop vault. My bud can tic tac over my fence. Sadly, not me. I CAN pop it, though. So, just try that.

Offline Gabe Arnold

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Proud Founder of S.U.T.S.
    • View Profile
    • Gabe Arnold Fitness
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2011, 04:34:07 PM »
Note, I haven't watched the video yet so maybe Kuntsler gets into this, but...

Unfortunately suburbs were created because people didn't want to live close together (aka city dwelling) but wanted to be near where the work was, the city. Because America is so friggin' big and it is the age of mass production it was simple to give everybody their own little half-acre kingdom. Thus you get sprawling, leveled areas with nothing but homes and flat roads. So instead of rural living, which might actually give you some natural areas to train, you get the watered down suburbs.

How do you combat this? Well, in the extremes you can move to an area with better training spots. In a more logical sense, you can build some obstacles of your own, get good at flat ground stuff like break dancing, or badger your local government to build something worth going to.

A Parcourse Fitness Circuit is a nice in between, cause it doesn't cost much, has a small real estate footprint, offers decent training possibilities, and also serves double duty as a regular outdoor workout spot. Here are some visuals for reference.

Offline Ryan Sannar

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Jump Utah
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2011, 08:30:18 AM »
That looks great.
10 push ups.

Offline Jesus

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2011, 03:06:19 PM »
Dude I've lived in the suburbs my whole life. It not the best place for Parkour. The houses are terrible for climbing. It because almost all the building are uniform. It like someone was to lazy to design anything, so they just went with HOUSE<SPACE>HOUSE<SPACE> STREET HOUSE and repeat. Sometimes they put the same type of house five times in a row. The biggest hang out for us teens is a local park called man park. Thing is I live 'bout 16 blocks away. Training parks for Parkour  would be awesome. But for training not for Parkour cause then i'd feel confined.

In my side of the my town, there's a few blocks of houses then the woods, the swamp and the rundown/ abandoned trailer park(which i nick-named the slums). My favorite spots to train the woods because the roads are just gravel, falling trees are everywhere are great for climbing. In the trailer park what's left of the house and the construction area are perfect for vaults and small wall runs.

In my opinion suburbia has it's good sides and bad. You gotta work with what you got.

Offline Ryan A. Vetter

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2011, 04:15:14 PM »
Dude I've lived in the suburbs my whole life. It not the best place for Parkour. The houses are terrible for climbing. It because almost all the building are uniform. It like someone was to lazy to design anything, so they just went with HOUSE<SPACE>HOUSE<SPACE> STREET HOUSE and repeat. Sometimes they put the same type of house five times in a row. The biggest hang out for us teens is a local park called man park. Thing is I live 'bout 16 blocks away. Training parks for Parkour  would be awesome. But for training not for Parkour cause then i'd feel confined.

In my side of the my town, there's a few blocks of houses then the woods, the swamp and the rundown/ abandoned trailer park(which i nick-named the slums). My favorite spots to train the woods because the roads are just gravel, falling trees are everywhere are great for climbing. In the trailer park what's left of the house and the construction area are perfect for vaults and small wall runs.

In my opinion suburbia has it's good sides and bad. You gotta work with what you got.
The houses are built this way because a number of the lots were leased to a single company, the designers have a limited number of types, so it's very likely houses will look similar in one neighbourhood. My old neighbourhood had the exact same house style up and down both sides of one street.

Besides, roof-top gaps are lame, and over-played for parkour, you gotta remember the call to wild, your animal instincts.
So long as I have parkour I'm okay.

Offline Jesus

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2011, 05:47:37 PM »
The houses are built this way because a number of the lots were leased to a single company, the designers have a limited number of types, so it's very likely houses will look similar in one neighbourhood. My old neighbourhood had the exact same house style up and down both sides of one street.

Besides, roof-top gaps are lame, and over-played for parkour, you gotta remember the call to wild, your animal instincts.

Sounds like awesome advice just listen to your inner monkey ;D

Offline Shae Perkins

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Texas tough
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2011, 08:24:22 PM »
I've been training out of the suburbs for about 5 years. And I rock hahahaha
This post was based off of my personal gatherings. Enjoy:)

Offline Stephen

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2011, 06:12:49 AM »
Try living in a Suburb, with the surrounding city area having NO parks and recreation money. As of last year, we no longer have a parks and recreation system at all. However we seem to be rich in "sign building money" so the community decided to build a giant rock/waterfall sign to display our neighborhood's name. Very enjoyable to utilize during the fall and winter, when the water is turned off.

My suburb parkour = giant neighborhood signs. Decent gaps for precisions, and quite a few ledges for vaults.
If anyone approches us (hasen't happened yet surprisingly) we leave.

Offline Christopher

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2011, 09:47:49 PM »
Tbh, Freerunning is more accessible than Parkour is.
{TEAM ONE-WAY}

Offline Jason C. Astor

• Mangabey
  • Never Give up, Never Surrender
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2012, 09:42:25 AM »
Someone is gonna get mad at me for saying this.
Pick a spot on one side of your town and then another across town. Now run like the cops are chasing you. Dont stop. Dont think about a damn thing like property or ownership. Just run, Jump and climb if need be. Thats how we rolled when we were kids and we were boss as kids. Then the next day pick 2 more spots. You'll find more options that way
David Belle once robbed a bank and left all the money on the Roof. He just wanted to prove that he could overcome any "Vault"..

"Those who lack the Courage will always find a Philosophy to justify it" -Camus

Offline daggerx222

• Patas
  • Parkour and freerunning for over 6 years.
    • View Profile
    • MY YOUTUBE
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2012, 05:22:51 PM »
Tl;dr

Even in suburbia there are PLENTY of public playgrounds and schools with playgrounds. 70% of my training happens at schools, parks, and playgrounds, and i live in suburbia.

Also even in suburbia there will always be buildings with cool architecture and there is a kong precision here and there, also apartment complexes can be nice, believe me if you find a parking garage you will find a kong pre/cat. It really is true you just have to look. And although i have at least 8 great spots within 10-20 mins walking distance of my house, i know not everyone does but you can always find SOMETHING!!!!
Love is a four letter word.

Offline Brian Dayton

• Patas
  • It's always good to change your perspective.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2012, 06:24:48 PM »
Quit bitching. Suburbia is parkour heaven compared to wear i live.
There is nothing but fields for several miles, the little bit of trees you see in the distance is only a 20 ft buffer zone between fields (witch happens to be filled with thorns and poison ivy), and the nearest town (not city, town) is a 30 minute drive from my house.

Consider yourselves lucky you don't live here.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 04:03:17 AM by Brian Dayton »
I'm gonna show you how great I am.

Offline gravity

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2012, 11:27:57 PM »
Quit bitching. Suburbia is parkour heaven compared to wear i live.
There is nothing but fields for several miles, the little bit of trees you see in the distance is only a 20 ft buffer zone between fields (witch happens to be filled with thorns and poison ivy), and the nearest town (not city, town) is a 30 minute drive from my house.

Consider yourselves lucky you don't live here.
my friend lives in a area like that any advice for spots
"there are no "parkour spots"; you can use anything anywhere to train and to play, as long as you're able to look at your surroundings with a vigilant eye, and use your imagination to figure out what you can do with things you come across."-  L'consolable

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2012, 01:00:36 AM »
My advice to all of you is to become adults and move out of suburbia.  That, or adapt & overcome.  Also, getting one of those new-fangled bicycles might help you cover more distance when you're searching for spots to train.  If there really is nothing then you should either make something or give-up.  Giving-up is always an option.

Offline Hazim Salem

• Hirundo Rustica
  • On my own, but not alone.
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2012, 05:36:11 PM »
Hopefully if my dad buys this big strip of land, I'm going to build a jungle gym. I already built a vault box, but there's no room.

Offline Memitchi

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2012, 05:59:45 PM »
To everybody complaining about suburbia... It could be worse. For the guy who lives out in the boonies, I can't see and real solution, except for building your own obstacles. But if you are just a teen/kid, I'm sure you have a bike! Bike downtown, or to local spots. I biked downtown all the time in the fall (when I started parkour). Or you could even run! I certainly don't mind a 20 minute run/bike to get to good parkour spots.

Offline Spencer Young

• Mangabey
  • The Jack of all Trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2012, 08:56:41 PM »
Down here it's a nice mix of all. (suburbian, city, country, etc.) I just that more of the children parks were like the ones with the videos with all of the bars and railings. Oh I forgot, we live in a country where fast food is king on your to buy list  :-Sarcasm

But seriously, if every state had one place like the muscle beach place then I would be in heaven. America just wants everything to be mainstreamed to them and add thier own twist to things. That's why Naruto was ruined for me, (closet anime otaku) LOL but it's like watching other countries shows, movies, etc. They are MUCH BETTER done because they stick to the orginal goal of the actual story.

Plus climbing on a structure on a public property is endangering little children more than exposing them to Televisison  :-Sarcasm. American Obesity is the reason why.
WIP

Offline Conrad Moser

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2012, 09:36:24 PM »
But won't the little chubbies just bounce?   :D
Age is just another obstacle. Get over it.