Author Topic: BEST Belle video on YOUTUBE  (Read 11745 times)

Offline bigninjapimp

• Hirundo Rustica
  • BNP
    • View Profile
Re: BEST Belle video on YOUTUBE
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2007, 04:36:18 AM »
No one has ever proved that they can flip somthing higher than they can jump it. (not on spring floors)
Cause I still don't buy it at all.

Offline Matthew Lee Willis

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2007, 09:24:37 AM »
OMG another flip thread. 

Here is some actual important information.  Andi did not make that video.
Parkour:Phone Calls
Free Running::Text Messaging

Steez

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2007, 01:46:40 PM »
No one has ever proved that they can flip somthing higher than they can jump it. (not on spring floors)
Cause I still don't buy it at all.

i know someone who can indeed front tuck higher than he can simply jump (clear higher things).  he's a diver.

matthew lee willis, thanks, that is useful to know.

Offline Tyler Cochran

• Patas
  • Boards don't hit back
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2007, 01:58:09 PM »
It's not that you could jump higher but it can work in the same principle as say high jumpers.  By jumping up and getting your body parallel to the ground you can potentially clear a higher object before engaging the tuck because you don't have to worry about your legs clipping the obstacle.

Really I don't think this thread is going to go anywhere really exciting because in truth if you like flips you will do flips, if you don't you won't and in any parkour situation who are you going to be listening to?  Your own body or someone who posted something about the "right" way to overcome an obstacle?  My bet is that you will do what feels most natural and fluid to you, so really it shouldn't matter what anyone else thinks.  Personally I wouldn't do a flip but if you find that to be your most natural and fluid motion, possible for any ninja's out there, then I say, by all means go for it.
"Empty your mind,
Be formless, shapeless, like water.
Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup.
You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle.
You put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Now water can flow, or it can crash,
Be water my friend"
-Bruce Lee

Steez

« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2007, 05:39:09 PM »
It's not that you could jump higher but it can work in the same principle as say high jumpers.  By jumping up and getting your body parallel to the ground you can potentially clear a higher object before engaging the tuck because you don't have to worry about your legs clipping the obstacle.

Really I don't think this thread is going to go anywhere really exciting because in truth if you like flips you will do flips, if you don't you won't and in any parkour situation who are you going to be listening to?  Your own body or someone who posted something about the "right" way to overcome an obstacle?  My bet is that you will do what feels most natural and fluid to you, so really it shouldn't matter what anyone else thinks.  Personally I wouldn't do a flip but if you find that to be your most natural and fluid motion, possible for any ninja's out there, then I say, by all means go for it.

word.  good points.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2007, 07:45:32 PM »
Steez, you're very correct.  The idea that a technique is efficient or not is very relative.  Instead of fighting over and what is efficient and what is not... over whether or not flips are Parkour, we just have to understand this: movement.  If I took you out into a place that you've never seen before, didn't have a time to check surfaces and whatnot... and I asked you to follow me... and then just ran like hell... how many times would you flip?  Even so... how much of what we practice as Parkour would just be thrown out the window in favour of just moving?

We can train a lot... and we SHOULD train a lot, to be prepared for anything.  But more often than not, we'd be sticking to the basics of movement.  Now, I don't mean to say that "this is Parkour and this is not."  Far from it.  What I mean is that Parkour can only exist in the context of fast, blind movement.  And yes, flips are very rarely a part of that equation, but again... so are ridiculously long kongs and other movements.

We can argue all day about whether, in one particular situation, one thing is efficient and one is not.  It simply doesn't matter in the long run, because that particular situation isn't Parkour as a whole.  I can say for myself that I would not use a flip in the given scenario, because I'm much more comfortable with a dive roll bailing out to a quad than I am with ANY kind of flip.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline bigninjapimp

• Hirundo Rustica
  • BNP
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2007, 08:44:49 PM »
the track+feild  highjump technique and flipping are completly different things.
With flipping you have to get your legs above you which requires way more power than a regular jump.

Tell me how this guy could have enough leg power to flip this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vL19q8yL54

Steez

« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2007, 09:42:57 PM »
Steez, you're very correct.  The idea that a technique is efficient or not is very relative.  Instead of fighting over and what is efficient and what is not... over whether or not flips are Parkour, we just have to understand this: movement.  If I took you out into a place that you've never seen before, didn't have a time to check surfaces and whatnot... and I asked you to follow me... and then just ran like hell... how many times would you flip?  Even so... how much of what we practice as Parkour would just be thrown out the window in favour of just moving?

We can train a lot... and we SHOULD train a lot, to be prepared for anything.  But more often than not, we'd be sticking to the basics of movement.  Now, I don't mean to say that "this is Parkour and this is not."  Far from it.  What I mean is that Parkour can only exist in the context of fast, blind movement.  And yes, flips are very rarely a part of that equation, but again... so are ridiculously long kongs and other movements.

We can argue all day about whether, in one particular situation, one thing is efficient and one is not.  It simply doesn't matter in the long run, because that particular situation isn't Parkour as a whole.  I can say for myself that I would not use a flip in the given scenario, because I'm much more comfortable with a dive roll bailing out to a quad than I am with ANY kind of flip.

this i definately agree with. 

BNP, that vid is amazing. 
track and field high jump technique will just get you hurt in real life.  woot for landing on your upper back. 
i don't have a vid, but i have seen my friend (5'9" or taller) front tuck his own height with no sprung floor (he had basically dive-rolled the pad we set up, and completed the flip on the other side).  some folks are just crazy like that. 

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2007, 10:20:21 PM »
Steez:

It's not that hard for people with good explosive power and good aerial awareness. Before I got injured I was able to clear a 6' stack of blocks with a dive roll. A few less inches and I could flip over it and I'm 5'8" tall (approximately 30" vert). While 30" is probably rated around good, it's not *great* and there's people that are more explosive than me by far like most of the Tribe so I mean.. it's not that hard to get to that level of ability with good training. I've only been training seriously about 1.5-2 years now (but it did help that I did gymnastics when younger).
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Kipup

« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2007, 03:36:13 PM »
Awesome video.

Thanks for bringing this up Gene!

Offline Rek

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2007, 11:31:42 AM »
OMFG all i have to say is that ppl took it either way too far or went way to deep into it.
*Hence the reason it was made*
Watch it again and think sarcastically.

Were saying do whatever the f#ck you wanna do and quit trying to over-analyze.  There is no way i could explain it to ppl on a thread only in person.. but we kind of meant it both ways.  Flips may not be Parkour... but for christs sakes don't over do it by being like DB is the founder and I hug his nuts.  The end part was a joke basically sounding like any other purists out there that can't just STFU and train and let ppl do what they want.

I find it hard to know that ppl would just... do a flip and say---"Yup thats what PK is.. a flip..."  Doubt it.  To say that flips are involved and used in Parkour especially in the media.. then thats ok.  Your not sayin there parkour just that you use them in your PK "Especially when the ladies are around" joke.. nobody copy that and try to use it by saying "YOu pk for ladies!!!???" it was a joke.

Over all we were kind of criticizing DB why?  PM me and I can try to explain.  Over all I don't think its DB fault it all got blown to shit, just other ppl that took what he said too far.  Please do not respond to the post or it will turn out like a religious battle.  2 sides with 2 diffrent opinions and 2 pissed off ppl in the end.  PM me if you have questions about the video. thank you. :)

dak

« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2007, 10:24:37 PM »
OMFG all i have to say is that ppl took it either way too far or went way to deep into it.
*Hence the reason it was made*
Watch it again and think sarcastically.

Were saying do whatever the f#ck you wanna do and quit trying to over-analyze.  There is no way i could explain it to ppl on a thread only in person.. but we kind of meant it both ways.  Flips may not be Parkour... but for christs sakes don't over do it by being like DB is the founder and I hug his nuts.  The end part was a joke basically sounding like any other purists out there that can't just STFU and train and let ppl do what they want.

I find it hard to know that ppl would just... do a flip and say---"Yup thats what PK is.. a flip..."  Doubt it.  To say that flips are involved and used in Parkour especially in the media.. then thats ok.  Your not sayin there parkour just that you use them in your PK "Especially when the ladies are around" joke.. nobody copy that and try to use it by saying "YOu pk for ladies!!!???" it was a joke.

Over all we were kind of criticizing DB why?  PM me and I can try to explain.  Over all I don't think its DB fault it all got blown to shit, just other ppl that took what he said too far.  Please do not respond to the post or it will turn out like a religious battle.  2 sides with 2 diffrent opinions and 2 pissed off ppl in the end.  PM me if you have questions about the video. thank you. :)

my response........who cares. it was funny!!!

Offline Flippusmn

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Flippusmn??? ask me then!
    • View Profile
    • http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/OHParkour/
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2007, 07:47:05 AM »
wow Jeff B had to screw up the peace by saying that little thing about flips and training. Man I thought the madness was over last year, AGAIN. wtf people won't just accept something, seriosly, read the comments posted to that vid wth. lmao funny vid  though. :)
Parkour can make you or break you, each of which I have experienced. ~Feel the Flow~ "Don't think with your balls, think with your brain." -Houston

Offline Rek

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2007, 05:55:53 PM »
exactly Van.. lol . ;D

Offline Hunter Neiblum

• Mangabey
  • Be Free my friend......
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2007, 06:35:53 PM »
funny stuff
It is not that things are impossible that we don't dare... It's that we don't dare that things are impossible.

Winter's Bite, clouds black as nite, the suns light, torretial rain, and a hint of pain-   Performance At My Best

Offline Laurie Jennifer

• is back! <3
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • The traceuse formerly known as "lauriejennifer"
    • View Profile
    • A Blog, for change of pace
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2007, 02:38:20 PM »
This is right up there with Chuck Norris jokes.
Queen of Puns

Offline Vaho

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2010, 04:58:01 PM »
Good stuff lol

Offline Christian Greene

• Awesomely Epic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • APEX Movement Team
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2010, 06:32:30 PM »
old thread ftw, but this is hilarious hahahahaha :D

Offline Hazim Salem

• Hirundo Rustica
  • On my own, but not alone.
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2010, 08:24:23 PM »
But whats easier to learn? A flip or speed vault?

It's not about how easy the move is. Do you agree that the monkey vault (kong with low momentum) is easier to learn than the diving kong?
the diving kong brings us over the rather long obstacle very quickly, even though it requires more energy.

The biggest inefficiency in parkour, as I see, is hesitation. Hesitation slows you down and wastes your momentum. When it comes to the ultimate use of parkour, do you are comfortable with, be it a flip or lazy vault.

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2010, 10:08:16 PM »
It's not about how easy the move is. Do you agree that the monkey vault (kong with low momentum) is easier to learn than the diving kong?
the diving kong brings us over the rather long obstacle very quickly, even though it requires more energy.

The biggest inefficiency in parkour, as I see, is hesitation. Hesitation slows you down and wastes your momentum. When it comes to the ultimate use of parkour, do you are comfortable with, be it a flip or lazy vault.

Hey man, this thread is three [3] years old. Don't be offended if he doesn't respond...
"Do it, do it well, do it well and fast."