Author Topic: BEST Belle video on YOUTUBE  (Read 11883 times)

Offline Brian Belida

• doc akh
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • OPEN BEAR POSTURE
    • View Profile
    • appropriately untitled
Re: BEST Belle video on YOUTUBE
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2007, 03:56:42 PM »
Please don't open up that can of worms Urban Cat. It's all in solid writing, front page of this site, DB's blog, etc. The fact that you cannot do a speed vault does not make it inefficient, it means your ability is lacking in that department. I think you'll find a lot more people can do a speed vault than flip, there's a reason for this.

Seriously, what's more efficient? Going straight over with a tap, or twirling through the air. If you need proof find two people, or one person other than yourself, find a rail or bush, and see who reaches 10 feet beyond the other side first; the guy who flips, or the guy who speed vaults. In this case it's faster as well.

EDIT: Yeah, what JOMR said.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 04:01:16 PM by akh horus »

Offline Chris [.5gibbon] Stevenson!

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2007, 06:15:36 PM »
point taken akh i'll shut up after this.   jomr  what is easeir to learn a speed valt or a dash, it doesnt matter , because they can both be just as efficient in different environments and scenerios. the fact that someone can't do a flip doesn't make it inefficient, it just means you should add it to your list just incase you are ever faced with a situation where a flip is needed.  now in my case i can flip much higher than i can vertically leap, so if there was a race between me and my clone and i flipped the bush and he tried a speed vault there would be no compitition because he wouldn't even make it over.  and im not saying i am anything special. i think anyone can flip higher that their verticle, but only if they take the time to practice flips as well as other parkour movements.  ok im thru  and i don't mean to be rude at all i just want you to realize that there isn't a specific list of which movements are parkour and which are not and you are never going to be completely prepaired for all environments and scenarios unless you consider flips as a possible movement.   
"Be like water making its way through cracks.  Do not be assertive,  but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it." - Bruce Lee

"There are few things graven in stone, except that you have to squat or you're a pussy." -Mark Rippetoe

Steez

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2007, 06:57:17 PM »
mmm, Steez, you are incorrect in some manner.   It does not depend on usage/scenario, but rather mentality.

Flips are not parkour, because they mentally are not effecient, compared to a jump or vault.  A flip takes extra effort and coordination, making it inefficient in terms of movement...movement that is parkour.

parkour is supposed to be useful, the philosophies behind parkour come from utilitarianism, so yes, the scenario and the usage do matter, and what you use in a given scenario expresses your mindset.  so yes 99.999% of the time flips are *not* parkour.  for me, they would never ever be because i cannot flip without pads, but the spiky-bush scenario has not been discounted. 

i have yet to see anyone speed vault a bush. 

the same people who try to claim that we shouldn't create a canonical list of movements to define parkour try to also define a clear-cut list of what is not parkour.  you can't have it both ways. it's saying that "parkour is the discipline of finding and traveling the most effective route through one's environment using the human body, if and only if that route does not include X movements" 

i just watched the movie again, and laughed some more (not at the movie, with it, good stuff).  pleasing media.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2007, 11:03:31 PM »
Uh... what about diverolling the bush...?
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

dak

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2007, 04:56:26 PM »

I was about to bring that up animus lol. beat me to it.

Steez

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2007, 06:31:12 PM »

for people who are good at flips and could theoretically utilize them (NOT me), for a tall bush/hedge flipping you can get a little higher (maybe, i wont stick to this claim), but you can spot your landing if you're not 100% sure of what's on the other side of the bush.  rocks+dive roll could=broken neck. 

in most cases, yes, dive-roll is superior.

Offline Tyler Cochran

• Patas
  • Boards don't hit back
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2007, 06:37:34 PM »
Yeah, I would definately go for a dive roll unless the ground on the other side was rock or concrete or if I was unsure of the landing I would much rather flip.  My dive rolls are pretty sketchy at times.
"Empty your mind,
Be formless, shapeless, like water.
Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup.
You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle.
You put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Now water can flow, or it can crash,
Be water my friend"
-Bruce Lee

dak

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2007, 07:23:41 PM »
me being one who has broken my collar bone 3 times ( none parkour) dive rolls are kinda scary for me. Having to directly land on your shoulder into a roll specially from hight like over a bush makes me aim for a flip. But being one who doesn't like flips. i would still say dive roll

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2007, 10:37:33 PM »

for people who are good at flips and could theoretically utilize them (NOT me), for a tall bush/hedge flipping you can get a little higher (maybe, i wont stick to this claim), but you can spot your landing if you're not 100% sure of what's on the other side of the bush.  rocks+dive roll could=broken neck. 

I don't know about you, but if I notice I'm going to be landing head-first into rocks, it's not hard for me to NOT diveroll and just land quadripedally.  I mean, it kinda hurts my hands, but... y'know.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

dak

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2007, 10:46:29 PM »

yea, i mean if your forced into a situation were u must get over that bush with no time to check the area on the other side then theres no time for flips. Just dive roll and hope for the best.

I don't know about you, but if I notice I'm going to be landing head-first into rocks, it's not hard for me to NOT diveroll and just land quadripedally.  I mean, it kinda hurts my hands, but... y'know.

Offline Mike "Pyro" Araujo

• Mangabey
  • Pyro4pk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2007, 12:11:37 AM »
Well most of the time the branches on the top of the bush aren't that stiff and if your feet touched them they would bend...and if you had to jump over a bush(being chased or whatever) your first thought isn't going to be "ok flip over it" since it takes to much thinking. it's going to be holy crap i need to get away from this guy.

Offline Tyler Cochran

• Patas
  • Boards don't hit back
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2007, 04:21:49 AM »
Yeah, I changed my mind I probably wouldn't flip in an emergency situation because I would be too busy running straight through the bush  ;D
"Empty your mind,
Be water my friend"
-Bruce Lee

Offline psycosis12

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2007, 08:58:52 AM »
LFMAO! That was the single most funny thing I have ever seen. Im not even kidding. Haha, nice work Gene.

Steez

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2007, 04:09:39 PM »
Yeah, I changed my mind I probably wouldn't flip in an emergency situation because I would be too busy running straight through the bush  ;D

you wouldn't, and i wouldn't, but for some people it could be the better option.  before i began doing parkour i would never think while running "go over this wall" but after training i would definately consider it.  and, panicing and ceasing to think while in an emergency situation will be a detriment.  if you think that maybe you couldn't keep a clear head while running, then *that's* what i'd be the most afraid of.

animus, i don't understand why if there's no time to check the other side then there's no time for a front tuck (if you're very good at them, i'm not).  BUT, i would rather be forced to re-adjust in mid-air with my feet below me than with my neck down.  if you freeze up it's better to be right side up. 

again, my main point is that we've come to this idea that we shouldn't make a list of movements that are parkour, but just include any movement that is the most effective way to get you from here to there as parkour.  but then, we turn around and say "except for THIS particular movement."   I think that this is a contradiction.  a flip is only parkour if it is the *most* effective option, and granted that wont be very often at all, but to make the claim that it will *never* be for everyone is false. 

Offline Kurokaze

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2007, 04:17:05 PM »

you wouldn't, and i wouldn't, but for some people it could be the better option.  before i began doing parkour i would never think while running "go over this wall" but after training i would definately consider it.  and, panicing and ceasing to think while in an emergency situation will be a detriment.  if you think that maybe you couldn't keep a clear head while running, then *that's* what i'd be the most afraid of.

animus, i don't understand why if there's no time to check the other side then there's no time for a front tuck (if you're very good at them, i'm not).  BUT, i would rather be forced to re-adjust in mid-air with my feet below me than with my neck down.  if you freeze up it's better to be right side up. 

again, my main point is that we've come to this idea that we shouldn't make a list of movements that are parkour, but just include any movement that is the most effective way to get you from here to there as parkour.  but then, we turn around and say "except for THIS particular movement."   I think that this is a contradiction.  a flip is only parkour if it is the *most* effective option, and granted that wont be very often at all, but to make the claim that it will *never* be for everyone is false. 

well said steez
In like a lion out like a lamb. . . world class.

Offline Tyler Cochran

• Patas
  • Boards don't hit back
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2007, 07:56:47 PM »
Man Steez I swear your writing the words straight out of my mind.  Right on bro

On a side note science and mathmatics have proven that the fastest route between two points is a straight line....so maybe we should focus our training on gaining the ability to run straight through any obstacle that may bar our path, kinda like the juggernaut, or focusing our mind powers to break up the molecules that compose our physical bodies allowing us to pass straight through anything? (<--------- This question was entirely sarcastic and was only stated in the attempt of making someone who reads it laugh)
"Empty your mind,
Be water my friend"
-Bruce Lee

Offline Kurokaze

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2007, 08:04:44 PM »

On a side note science and mathmatics have proven that the fastest route between two points is a straight line....so maybe we should focus our training on gaining the ability to run straight through any obstacle that may bar our path, kinda like the juggernaut, or focusing our mind powers to break up the molecules that compose our physical bodies allowing us to pass straight through anything? (<--------- This question was entirely sarcastic and was only stated in the attempt of making someone who reads it laugh)

or realize that you've watched/read X-men way too much.
In like a lion out like a lamb. . . world class.

Offline Tyler Cochran

• Patas
  • Boards don't hit back
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2007, 08:48:37 PM »
Hahaha
"Empty your mind,
Be water my friend"
-Bruce Lee

Steez

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2007, 09:18:45 PM »

or learn how to quantum tunnel* on a macroscopic level.  woot for breaking physics.   ;)

*link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_tunnelling

and, thanks for props.  it means something.

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2007, 09:43:06 PM »

or learn how to quantum tunnel* on a macroscopic level.  woot for breaking physics.   ;)

*link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_tunnelling

and, thanks for props.  it means something.

Oh my goodness. I had to learn about quantum tunneling in my physical biochemistry class and it sucked. Basically, what it means is that if there is is energy added to something like an electron in a box to move it to a higher energy level INSIDE the box, it can tunnel through the box to the outside. Pretty much it's almost saying there's 100% probability that the electron will be in the box (at a higher energy level), but sometimes it can be found out of it. Pretty whack.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book