Author Topic: New to Tricking  (Read 5547 times)

Offline Tyler

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
New to Tricking
« on: September 14, 2011, 07:27:56 PM »
Hey guys so i just finished reading Kyle's sticky on intro to tricking. I was thinking about starting with a cresent kick, then learn a tornado kick, and then learn a 540 kick. Would you guys recommend this path for my first attempt at tricking? Also are there any physical requirement (strenght wise) that i should be aware of? Tricking seems amazing!  :D

Thanks a lot!
Parkour is more than a sport, it's a way of life.

Offline steve dahlin

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Parkour/Freerunning/Tricking
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: New to Tricking
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 07:34:25 PM »
that sounds good,
Physical requirements to tricking are pretty low

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTr9oyUgA3s&
Even big people can trick very well.
I like Tricking and Free Running, i don't think i actually do parkour, because i do it for fun and self expression, which would change the term to free running.

Offline Tyler

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 07:43:38 PM »
that sounds good,
Physical requirements to tricking are pretty low

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTr9oyUgA3s&
Even big people can trick very well.

wow, consider me inspired! Thanks a lot grip. I do have one more quick question, I've been reading a little more about the 540 kick and some people say to start it with a roundhouse kick (which I am familar with due to Tae Kwon Do a few years back) or should i open with the inside crescent?

Thanks again man

Offline TheBigLOL

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »
I know I'm not supposed to be the one answering, but you should do it with a round kick.  One because it can really snap across, and two, a cresent kick can pull your groin if your a beginner.  :P

Also, if you want to get in better shape for tricking, I would suggest holding lunges in their deepest position, and jumping rope.
Tricking is beast, you should try it.

Offline Tyler

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 07:57:21 PM »
I know I'm not supposed to be the one answering, but you should do it with a round kick.  One because it can really snap across, and two, a cresent kick can pull your groin if your a beginner.  :P

Also, if you want to get in better shape for tricking, I would suggest holding lunges in their deepest position, and jumping rope.

Please anyone is allowed to answer haha and thanks for the advice, Im going to use a roundhouse then. Also thanks for the tips on conditioning.

Offline DevintheNinja

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 08:32:51 PM »
Please anyone is allowed to answer haha and thanks for the advice, Im going to use a roundhouse then. Also thanks for the tips on conditioning.

PRACTICE ALL KICKS NOT JUST 2. roundhouse, front snap, side, back, spin hook, axe and cresent
LVPK-Las Vegas Parkour
Urban Aces LV
I'm a security guard that WILL CHASE YOU!!!!!
Devintheninja's twitter page

Offline steve dahlin

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 09:09:52 PM »
wow, consider me inspired! Thanks a lot grip. I do have one more quick question, I've been reading a little more about the 540 kick and some people say to start it with a roundhouse kick (which I am familar with due to Tae Kwon Do a few years back) or should i open with the inside crescent?

Thanks again man

you should do 540 kicks with roundhouse kicks,
it's just more deadly that way.

I personally never cared about kicks,
i learned Corks and Butterfly Twists way before 540 kicks
I like Tricking and Free Running, i don't think i actually do parkour, because i do it for fun and self expression, which would change the term to free running.

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 12:26:56 AM »
you should do 540 kicks with roundhouse kicks,
it's just more deadly that way.

I personally never cared about kicks,
i learned Corks and Butterfly Twists way before 540 kicks

Buh, buh, buh, buh... IF YOU'RE NOT KICKING, YOU'RE NOT TRICKING!

In seriousness though, Grip brings up a good point: there are many paths.  If you want to focus on kicks, take Devin's tip and train the fundamental movements ("basic" kicks) that things like axe2aerial, 540, backside 900, etc. are built on.  However, you could be like a lot of freerunners that get into tricking and just learn a few flips, without ever bothering to combo them and call yourself a tricker, lol.  There's definitely lots of middle ground too, you can learn a few tricks to use in freerunning and still enjoy tricking in it's own right, or just learn a kick or two, but never really be a tricker, but instead just a traceur that knows a couple tricks.  Whatever you do, just have fun and don't be a dick.

The 540 is good, but I'd suggest that you work on some other tricks at the same time and start learning how to combo them.  Things that combo well with 540 are tornado, feilong, pop wheel kick, b-kick or b-twist, and anything else you can think of and make flow into or out of a 540.  Start working on your cartwheel, your gumbi, and your scoot early on too as those moves will help you gain the momentum necessary for other things later. 

Good luck.  Be awesome.

Offline Tyler

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 07:18:27 AM »
Buh, buh, buh, buh... IF YOU'RE NOT KICKING, YOU'RE NOT TRICKING!

In seriousness though, Grip brings up a good point: there are many paths.  If you want to focus on kicks, take Devin's tip and train the fundamental movements ("basic" kicks) that things like axe2aerial, 540, backside 900, etc. are built on.  However, you could be like a lot of freerunners that get into tricking and just learn a few flips, without ever bothering to combo them and call yourself a tricker, lol.  There's definitely lots of middle ground too, you can learn a few tricks to use in freerunning and still enjoy tricking in it's own right, or just learn a kick or two, but never really be a tricker, but instead just a traceur that knows a couple tricks.  Whatever you do, just have fun and don't be a dick.

The 540 is good, but I'd suggest that you work on some other tricks at the same time and start learning how to combo them.  Things that combo well with 540 are tornado, feilong, pop wheel kick, b-kick or b-twist, and anything else you can think of and make flow into or out of a 540.  Start working on your cartwheel, your gumbi, and your scoot early on too as those moves will help you gain the momentum necessary for other things later. 

Good luck.  Be awesome.

Awesome post man! I'm to start off with the basic kicks then and work my way up to 540 and then combo it. I do enjoy parkour so maybe free running would be a good middle ground, however I love martial arts (TKD) so kicks/tricking seems awesome as well. Guess I'll do all three  :P I'm going to look into the gumbi and scoot too

Offline steve dahlin

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 11:17:22 AM »
Parkour and Tricking Can mix very well. like Rail Btwists, Wall Corks.
I can't wait to see someone do Wall Box Cutters. (Hyper cork + Hook Kick)

Offline Tyler

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 12:49:04 PM »

Rail Btwists must look so sweet  :D

Quick question: What would be a decent camera (affordable) that I could purchase to review my form and possibly make a video of my parkouring (eventually tricking  :D)

Thanks again for the help everyone!

Offline steve dahlin

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 08:49:57 PM »
Type in HD Camera on Craigslist
I got a 720p HD video Camera for $70

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 12:52:56 AM »

That would be amazing.  I've always wanted to see someone do the Showtime Kick with a full-twist.  Walls + tricking + environment = awesome.

Also to the OP, for cameras, check out the Kodak Playsport.  I prefer the older model, the Zx3, I got mine for $79, it shoots 720P in 60 frames, and can do 1080, has image stabilization, etc.  All the vids from 2011 on my channel (link in my sig) are shot on it. 

Offline Tyler

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 09:44:41 AM »
That would be amazing.  I've always wanted to see someone do the Showtime Kick with a full-twist.  Walls + tricking + environment = awesome.

Also to the OP, for cameras, check out the Kodak Playsport.  I prefer the older model, the Zx3, I got mine for $79, it shoots 720P in 60 frames, and can do 1080, has image stabilization, etc.  All the vids from 2011 on my channel (link in my sig) are shot on it.

Thanks a lot man I'll look into that one :D

Offline Conrad Moser

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2011, 06:05:54 PM »
I'm thinking about getting into tricking myself. I've always been into martial arts but never taken any. (well, one or two free lessons as a kid don't count) The thing is, I like the artistry and performance of martial arts but I'm not very competitive, so I don't like the idea of sparring and such. But recently I came upon the best compromise: capoeira. Part martial art, part dance, and a great way to start tricking. I can stay on the ground with the au cartwheel and macaco, then move on to kicks.
Age is just another obstacle. Get over it.

Offline Sean Boyd

• Mangabey
  • “Be the change you want to see in the world.”
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2011, 10:50:50 AM »
I'm thinking about getting into tricking myself. I've always been into martial arts but never taken any. (well, one or two free lessons as a kid don't count) The thing is, I like the artistry and performance of martial arts but I'm not very competitive, so I don't like the idea of sparring and such. But recently I came upon the best compromise: capoeira. Part martial art, part dance, and a great way to start tricking. I can stay on the ground with the au cartwheel and macaco, then move on to kicks.

If you aren't big into competition, then tricking really is for you. There's of course going to be the friendly competition aspect to it, but besides some people like doing trick battles it's pretty passive.