Author Topic: Bounds and strides  (Read 4766 times)

Offline Stephen

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Urban Survivor
    • View Profile
Bounds and strides
« on: September 14, 2011, 08:43:14 AM »
Hello all.  Tis been  a while since my last post and well , I'm having a little difficulty. I was wondering if anyone has a good tutorial on Bounding and striding. I'm trying to figure out a progression I can use in order to increase the distance.  Maybe Jereme Sanders can help me out, by breaking it down for me? OR any other traceur who has a really good stride! Newho. Assistance is appreciated!
Choose to fall choose not to fall.. Really? Who chooses the second?

Offline BrandonP

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Re: Bounds and strides
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 11:10:09 AM »
I'm not that good at strides but i practice on a parking lots like the painted lines that separates each space.  The key to it is just having a lot of forward momentum and a little height cause if you go a lot up then your leg is gonna take too much force or impact that you wont have enough power to get the next step.   

Offline Stephen

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Urban Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 08:12:54 PM »
I'm not that good at strides but i practice on a parking lots like the painted lines that separates each space.  The key to it is just having a lot of forward momentum and a little height cause if you go a lot up then your leg is gonna take too much force or impact that you wont have enough power to get the next step.   
Hmm.. so you're saying it's the angle of trajectory after you leap.. hmm is there an exercise or conditioning you could recommend  to help practice taking the impact and such?

Offline steve dahlin

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Parkour/Freerunning/Tricking
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 09:28:54 PM »
I just watched a ton of Phil Doyle Videos, and tried running like he did, and then i found out how to run with way more power and speed then ever before.

And don't just stride precisions, Stride EVERYTHING,
use powerful stride steps to do wall runs, long distance kongs, high dashes, everything.
I like Tricking and Free Running, i don't think i actually do parkour, because i do it for fun and self expression, which would change the term to free running.

Offline BrandonP

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 03:30:38 AM »
i dont know any conditioning to help for impact sorry. Someone in this forum might know though.

Check Phil's strides right here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIGYjCvu0go
2:14
2:27

Offline Stephen

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Urban Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 08:29:31 AM »
@Grip: THanks I'll definitely study up and practice. I also saw a demon drill that should help.
@Brandon: Thanks for the vid!
If there is anyone else with info that would be helpful please feel free to post! the more info and tips I have the better!

Offline Stephen

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Urban Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 12:08:53 PM »
So News just in. Yesterday I practiced my strides and I'm starting to see a definite improvement. but I"d like to keep this thread open so that those who also want to learn how to properly stride/bound can receive proper instruction.

Offline Christopher

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 10:35:51 PM »
Here are a few pointers:
1. do exercises (mainly plyometrics) that requires one leg
2. lift your leading knee/leg as high as possible
3. do plyo-lunges
4. put more power into every step you take
5. practice
{TEAM ONE-WAY}

Offline steve dahlin

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Parkour/Freerunning/Tricking
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 02:58:42 AM »
You just need to spend a lot of time  and practice doing them and you'll figure out how to go farther and faster.

I like Tricking and Free Running, i don't think i actually do parkour, because i do it for fun and self expression, which would change the term to free running.

Offline Ryan Sannar

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Jump Utah
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 03:24:19 PM »
Think light thoughts
10 push ups.

Offline Christopher

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 01:09:13 PM »
^^LMAO!
{TEAM ONE-WAY}

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 09:22:37 AM »
its fairly obvious how you increase strides, its like ANYTHING in parkour. you have to start slow and small until its comfortable and then push it a tiny bit. one day of practice isnt going to net you an 8 foot stride thats comfortable.

unless of course you are already at a pretty decent level, in which case you shouldnt need an explanation other than trial and error.

you really need to move slower and concentrate on landing and leaving your feet calmly, in a controlled manner. you dont need to just plant a foot and skip across stuff, its really rather controlled. i go to an open gymnastics gym and doing them across balance beams helped me realize how much slower you need to go. IMHO you need to stand almost straight up to properly stride, it should all be in the legs. its not like running where you lean forward to move, quite the opposite.

when you plant a foot, you need to almost sink into that. it feels like you wait too long to launch into the next stride but, thats just how the mechanics of a stride works. sinking into each step gives you a solid base to jump from.

the stride is a rather advanced move, its much more complicated than a precision jump and takes a lot more bodily control than most jumps. if you have a hard time properly rebounding out of a jump into a roll, i wouldnt really worry about learning to stride just yet.

my mind is constantly moving, one day my body will be strong enough to keep up.

Offline Christopher

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 06:23:54 PM »
^Agreed.
{TEAM ONE-WAY}

Offline David Jones

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Representin the 215's finest... PhillyPK All Day.
    • View Profile
    • PkCali
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 06:29:53 PM »
Just make sure to have good ankle stability...

And read Duncan's post on the Stride :)

http://www.americanparkour.com/component/content/article/1-latest/5737-tk17-and-the-cambridge-stride

Offline Jereme Sanders

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2011, 02:53:27 PM »
Sorry, just saw this now, seems like you are getting the hang of it though? video?
"People may forget what you've done, or said, but they will never forget the way you made them feel."

The Best part of Falling Down is Getting Back Up...