Author Topic: The Neverending Fast - a new challenge for you  (Read 6924 times)

Offline Zachary Cohn

• APK Alliance
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I do cool stuff.
    • View Profile
    • ZacCohn.com
Re: The Neverending Fast - a new challenge for you
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2011, 05:20:55 PM »
You don't improve starving yourself, that's something you don't improve, and if you strive to do so; it's a waste of energy and time that could be used for something actually beneficial.

I suspect you're just trolling at this point.

Offline Micah.

• Da Best Mayne
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • ohai
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2011, 05:25:44 PM »
I suspect you're just trolling at this point.
No, actually; I just don't see the sense of trying to do something that is pointless.

What you said, on the whole improving thing, does not apply to doing what you are setting out to do (fasting); there's no reason to do it, or attempt to improve it.

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2011, 06:02:32 PM »
Micah, have you ever fasted?
"Do it, do it well, do it well and fast."

Offline Macgyver 0.

• Mangabey
  • "Best way out...is through" Courage Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2011, 06:33:59 PM »
wanted to do it "for the challenge" but parents said it was unhealthy so :X .......

if we want a point in our lives we have to make it, if we want happiness then we have to do our best to get happy. you can be a mindless drone, or you can go out and do something great. -Texas Steve-/b]
working on Dive kong

Offline Micah.

• Da Best Mayne
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • ohai
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2011, 06:47:49 PM »
Micah, have you ever fasted?
I was anorexic for several years (how I originally went from 185 LBS to 130 LBS within three months), and have went days without food or water (only coffee, not actual water).

During that whole process I didn't know how to lift correctly or anything, so I would have an hour cardio session and two hour lifting session with no food in me (cardio and lifting were back-to-back, every day, no rest days).

Offline Kevin H.

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2011, 07:20:28 PM »
I have never fasted since 4th grade to make a weight limit for football.  I will love to do this for three days to see how far i can push myself.  This will be difficult for me to do probably but i see it will be able to help me break my bad habits

Maybe keep track of weight lost during this time? Im thinking about weighing myself for a before and after just to see how much this will affect my body. 

Will be signed up soon and sort of excited for it.  Dont think my parents will like this, but hey i need to learn what this feels like

Offline Tyler Summers

• Mangabey
  • La maladie du traceur
    • View Profile
    • Tylers911
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2011, 07:28:08 PM »
So I decided to do a 72 hour fast (nothing but water), while continuing my daily activities. I still went to class, I ran a few training sessions, and jammed a bit. If I was invited to something and I normally would have said "yes," I said "yes."

how much water? more less?
2 Samuel 22
30 For by you I can run against a troop; By my God I can leap over a wall.
33 God is my strength and power, And He makes my way perfect.
34 ...he sets me on my high places.
37 you enlarged my path under me; so my feet did not slip.

Offline Zachary Cohn

• APK Alliance
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I do cool stuff.
    • View Profile
    • ZacCohn.com
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2011, 10:14:33 PM »
Didn't measure it, but a lot of water. :p

Offline DevintheNinja

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2011, 03:10:08 AM »
Zac I am going to do this but due to the nature of my job i cant do it during my work week.

Micah these are the same type of situations that the military puts people through, maybe not the fasting part but you get sleep deprived.
LVPK-Las Vegas Parkour
Urban Aces LV
I'm a security guard that WILL CHASE YOU!!!!!
Devintheninja's twitter page

Offline Micah.

• Da Best Mayne
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • ohai
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2011, 05:07:07 AM »
Micah these are the same type of situations that the military puts people through, maybe not the fasting part but you get sleep deprived.
This I can understand, if you have to "train" for something like that; that's understandable, but to do it freely when  you will not have to deal with not being able is eat is moronic.

Offline Alex Patterson

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2011, 05:47:37 AM »
A three day fast is nuts.  I do a day fast once a month and its hard physically for me. But I can see the benefit of a 3 day one. 

Offline Tyler Summers

• Mangabey
  • La maladie du traceur
    • View Profile
    • Tylers911
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2011, 06:02:56 AM »
maybe I will try 24 hours,for starters.
2 Samuel 22

Offline Ryan Nicolai

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Notorius Buttmunch
    • View Profile
    • Hehehe
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2011, 07:43:51 AM »
Micah, I will disagree with you on this one. When I stopped eating, I honestly wasn't sure what I would learn or even why I really wanted to do it. I had just gotten my wisdom teeth pulled, so I figured it was as good a time as any. Also, I limited my water intake to roughly 35-40oz during the 100 hours.

What I learned:
-What my body can handle without renewed energy. Like I said, I continued to live my normal life and work out.
-The difference between "wanting" and "needing" food. Of course we should all know this one pretty well, but when my body started to react because of a deficit, my brain was asking for about three different foods and that was it.
-The fact that, sometimes my body doesn't even want food, but I would walk past some food and instinctively grab it. That was a real eye-opener. How many times a day do I eat food and don't even realize it?
-This was the first time that I ever felt like I was truly hungry. Not because my stomach growled and told me, but because my body told me.

Now, how can I apply those lessons?

-You know my intentions to join the Marine Corps. I also want to take that as far as I can go, possibly becoming SF. There will be times when I run on no sleep and there is also a very real chance of running on no food/water. This helped me see what I'm capable of when my energy source is taken from me.
-I've done fasts before and I've tried to eat smart, especially since I started training. This takes it to a whole new level, my brain started telling me, "Ok, we know what gets the us the required nutrients. I want you to only eat those three items." It was as if I thought this fast would keep going on, even though I knew it would end. It helped me see how my mind would react, which is just as(possibly more) important than knowing how my body would react.
-I wondered how many times a day do I eat something, not out of want or need, but because it's there. It made me think about people who have to walk by their counter and realize not only is there no food, but they're not sure where they'll get that next meal.
-That was an interesting feeling... Hunger.

So, for me, I learned something. I believe that this experience made me better. Therefore, it matched up with how I think of Parkour. I think the important thing when going into this is keeping your mind open to learn, being smart about it and not doing more than your abilities allow. For some it will be a meal, others a day and for others 72 hours or more.

It looks like the gap is filled, I'll check the calender and pick some empty days to keep the chain together.

Also, I'm gonna link TNEF to my Facebook. I'd Tweet it... But I kind of refuse to get a Twitter account at the moment.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 07:46:52 AM by Ryan Nicolai »

“The character that takes command in moments of crucial choices has already been determined by a thousand other choices made earlier in seemingly unimportant moments." ~ Ronald Reagan

Offline Tyler Summers

• Mangabey
  • La maladie du traceur
    • View Profile
    • Tylers911
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2011, 10:57:13 AM »
Is this something you would build up too? Or just randomly pop out out 72 hours without eating? I am not eating right now but am wondering how long I should keep it up.
2 Samuel 22

Offline Jordan Strybos

• Man of Skochy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • PKGA
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2011, 11:05:35 AM »
Is this something you would build up too? Or just randomly pop out out 72 hours without eating? I am not eating right now but am wondering how long I should keep it up.

Just go for it! You can start by slowly decreasing your food intake to train your body/mind to accept less food, but I say just jump right in. If you don't train your body and mind to be okay with it, it'll just be another challenge for you to put up with, and that's what it's all about, isn't it?

Edit: Obviously, if you show any signs of illness/serious problems, you should definitely eat, regardless of your determination. Specifically if you are shaky, pale, sweaty, or showing any other signs of Hypoglycemia, be careful.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 11:54:30 AM by Jordan Strybos »

Offline Tyler Summers

• Mangabey
  • La maladie du traceur
    • View Profile
    • Tylers911
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2011, 12:46:12 PM »
Ya i usually get that shaky feeling. I hope I can get through it
2 Samuel 22

Offline Ryan Nicolai

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Notorius Buttmunch
    • View Profile
    • Hehehe
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2011, 01:32:42 PM »
Obviously if you have any blood issues, sugar issues, you'll probably want to talk to your doctor before going an extended period of time without food. How long have you gone so far? A "shaky feeling" early on might be a bad sign.

“The character that takes command in moments of crucial choices has already been determined by a thousand other choices made earlier in seemingly unimportant moments." ~ Ronald Reagan

Offline Tyler Summers

• Mangabey
  • La maladie du traceur
    • View Profile
    • Tylers911
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2011, 02:29:40 PM »
Obviously if you have any blood issues, sugar issues, you'll probably want to talk to your doctor before going an extended period of time without food. How long have you gone so far? A "shaky feeling" early on might be a bad sign.
nah im fine. I usually just get that shaky feeling whenever I drink a ton of soda or have alot of sugar. Its only been 10 hours and im curious to see how my body will react. I already walk right up to the pantry and opened the door not even thinking about it lol. Its kinda funny. My friend decided to join our cause and fast with me but I dont think he will hold up cuz tomarrow in foods class they're makin smoothies... and brownies  :'(.
2 Samuel 22

Offline Micah.

• Da Best Mayne
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • ohai
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2011, 05:29:19 PM »
-You know my intentions to join the Marine Corps. I also want to take that as far as I can go, possibly becoming SF. There will be times when I run on no sleep and there is also a very real chance of running on no food/water. This helped me see what I'm capable of when my energy source is taken from me.
You are doing something with what you learned; so it is beneficial. Because it works to an actual beneficial goal. Choosing to starve yourself is pointless, there is nothing beneficial with doing it.

-I've done fasts before and I've tried to eat smart, especially since I started training. This takes it to a whole new level, my brain started telling me, "Ok, we know what gets the us the required nutrients. I want you to only eat those three items." It was as if I thought this fast would keep going on, even though I knew it would end. It helped me see how my mind would react, which is just as(possibly more) important than knowing how my body would react.
What do you mean by "those three foods?"

-I wondered how many times a day do I eat something, not out of want or need, but because it's there. It made me think about people who have to walk by their counter and realize not only is there no food, but they're not sure where they'll get that next meal.
Well, I see no way of how starving yourself helps you control you unconsciously wanting/needing to eat. You can control that without doing it, so starving yourself is pointless to do if you can it another way, and a more healthier way.

-That was an interesting feeling... Hunger.
You can experience this without starving yourself.

Offline Ryan Courtney

• Patas
  • Even if the morrow is barren of promises
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2011, 06:51:42 PM »
I'm thinking about trying this, I'm assuming that this would also include not drinking things like protein shakes, smoothies, etc. Have you guys noticed any difference in your training since starting? For instance, do you have to stop running earlier than normal or doing less push-ups, dips, etc?