Author Topic: What's a good backpack for parkour and college?  (Read 17184 times)

Offline Paul Mole

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
What's a good backpack for parkour and college?
« on: September 03, 2011, 04:24:38 AM »
Hey all, a brit here, trained for about a year now. I'm trying to find a good practical backpack that I can use when I'm out training and in college. I'm basically looking for a good quality backpack that hugs the back, is hopefully lightweight and has enough space to store an ipod, a few papers/folders etc. It may be a longshot but I really wanted to try and intergrate parkour into my college life too. Anything that can store college essentials without putting a strain on me casually practising parkour will do. Thanks all!

Offline Cpt_Rabbit

• Guenons
    • View Profile
    • Graham Parkour
Re: What's a good backpack for parkour and college?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 07:33:13 PM »
founder of Graham parkour
podcast Change To Subjection

Offline thequintanas07

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 08:20:40 PM »
that may be the single most epic pack ive ever seen...

Offline Kittycatt

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • Ugg Boots On Sale
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 07:08:28 PM »
I think you should have your own choice.
There are all kinds of Ugg Boots On Sale on my site, you should not miss it if you are looking for a pair of ugg boots.

Offline Michael Bergeron

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 06:47:36 AM »
I recommend something from Swiss Gear.  http://www.wengerna.com/computer-backpacks  or  http://www.wengerna.com/outdoor-gear-backpacks

My bag from the Computer backpacks section has lasted since August 2006, not just for classes, hauling laptops and books, but I also took it with me on my 3 month trip to Japan where I hiked Mount Fuji, Fushimi Inari, etc.
Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
~George Carlin

Offline Gabe Arnold

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Proud Founder of S.U.T.S.
    • View Profile
    • Gabe Arnold Fitness
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 03:31:34 PM »

http://www.fparmynavy.com/products/Swiss-M90-Rubber-Rucksack.html

From my experience, and especially if you're in the notoriously wet British weather, this pack should be great. It's rubberized so it's waterproof and will keep your papers and such dry. It has a high design so it won't bang against your butt as your're running/vaulting/etc. It's cheap at $20 and has a cool vintage soldier look to it too.

Offline Luke Santore

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 04:39:20 PM »
Can't roll while wearing a backpack  :)
10 push ups per post
Parkour= Monkey see, monkey do.
Quote from: Joe Brock
If it's shaking the shake weight, I'm not sure...but I'd shake that thing like I meant to turn on Elton John.

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 01:00:09 PM »
Yea I think there's something intrinsically wrong with that question. The demands of each are so outstandingly different that I can't imagine you being happy with whatever you decide to get.

For college get a back that can hold a lot and will last. I recommend probably any hiking backpack. While it will be more expensive, any "school brand" will fall apart before the year is over and you have to buy another anyway. With a hiking bag, you might never have to buy another in your life unless you do some serious hiking with it. My Kelty was $110 but it's lasted 6 years and shows no signs of wear (junior in college now). Basically, it's important to learn how to judge by value instead of just price.

For parkour, there's no other option in my head other than the Camelbak Octane XCT: http://www.amazon.com/Camelbak-Octane-XCT-Hydration-Pack/dp/B004380TH4
I got the Octane XC (different model, but looks just about the same) some years back and have never looked at another bag for any activity. The water bladder is awesome when you want it but you can remove it and get a ton more space to use. It perfectly carries my wallet in the top pocket, phone and iPod shuffle in one side pocket, knife and headphones in the other, and then whatever else I want in the center compartment. I often have a pair of sweats and maybe a shirt but I swap that out for a mini-tripod and 2 cameras when necessary, possibly a water bottle as well. The most important part about it though is that this thing will fit so snuggly, even with all that gear, that you could almost forget you have it on. Sure, avoid rolling if you have fragile things in the main pocket but other than that it has no impact on your movement. I've used many bags as well as those Urban Tool holsters and they just don't come close. The Camelbak also shows virtually no signs of wear... good quality stuff.

So yea, I say ditch this question and get something you'll truly be happy with.
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline Patrick Witbrod

• Administrator
  • Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 08:23:34 AM »

http://www.fparmynavy.com/products/Swiss-M90-Rubber-Rucksack.html

From my experience, and especially if you're in the notoriously wet British weather, this pack should be great. It's rubberized so it's waterproof and will keep your papers and such dry. It has a high design so it won't bang against your butt as your're running/vaulting/etc. It's cheap at $20 and has a cool vintage soldier look to it too.

Awesome Find!

Offline Andrew Peeples

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile

Offline christian miranda

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 07:44:31 PM »
fastbreak bags. look for it

Offline PARKOURSAGE

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 01:49:30 PM »
One of the holsters from Urbantools.com They lay on your hip so they don't get in the way of rolls and they won't bounce around because they have a strap that goes around your thigh.

Offline Kimberly Heuer

• Patas
  • "Action Conquers Fear." -PNZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 02:48:07 PM »
Wow, those holsters are freaking awesome. Looks like they don't ship to America though :(
Passivity is a lie, there is only movement.
Through movement, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain expression.
Through expression, my chains are broken.
Movement shall free me.

Offline Ryan Sannar

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Jump Utah
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 03:15:08 PM »
We'll make one Tex!
10 push ups.

Offline Kimberly Heuer

• Patas
  • "Action Conquers Fear." -PNZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 06:48:58 PM »
Passivity is a lie, there is only movement.
Through movement, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain expression.
Through expression, my chains are broken.
Movement shall free me.

Offline Nerd90

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2019, 01:20:04 AM »
Yea I think there's something intrinsically wrong with that question. The demands of each are so outstandingly different that I can't imagine you being happy with whatever you decide to get.

For college get a back that can hold a lot and will last. I recommend probably any hiking backpack. While it will be more expensive, any "school brand" will fall apart before the year is over and you have to buy another anyway. With a hiking bag, you might never have to buy another in your life unless you do some serious hiking with it. My Kelty was $110 but it's lasted 6 years and shows no signs of wear (junior in college now). Basically, it's important to learn how to judge by value instead of just price.

For parkour, there's no other option in my head other than the Camelbak Octane XCT: http://www.amazon.com/Camelbak-Octane-XCT-Hydration-Pack/dp/B004380TH4
I got the Octane XC (different model, but looks just about the same) some years back and have never looked at another bag for any activity. The water bladder is awesome when you want it but you can remove it and get a ton more space to use. Or you can just use professional help from https://pro-papers.com/review-paper-writing-service and there will not nessecary to take some books or other college stuff. It perfectly carries my wallet in the top pocket, phone and iPod shuffle in one side pocket, knife and headphones in the other, and then whatever else I want in the center compartment. I often have a pair of sweats and maybe a shirt but I swap that out for a mini-tripod and 2 cameras when necessary, possibly a water bottle as well. The most important part about it though is that this thing will fit so snuggly, even with all that gear, that you could almost forget you have it on. Sure, avoid rolling if you have fragile things in the main pocket but other than that it has no impact on your movement. I've used many bags as well as those Urban Tool holsters and they just don't come close. The Camelbak also shows virtually no signs of wear... good quality stuff.

So yea, I say ditch this question and get something you'll truly be happy with.

I't really a good idea. You can go not only to college with hiking backpack.