Author Topic: Art of Motion Detroit - an unfortunate quote from Ryan Doyle  (Read 5236 times)

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
Art of Motion Detroit - an unfortunate quote from Ryan Doyle
« on: August 28, 2011, 05:25:26 AM »
“It’s not something you should try out at home,“ said Free Runner Ryan Doyle (UK), who was a member of the jury in the U.S. car capital city. “The guys are all professionals and train for months at a time to get to this level.“

While I strongly agree that the message should be "these guys are professionals and it takes (years not months!!) to get to this level" -- I strongly disagree with a "Don't try this at home" attitude about Parkour and Freerunning, to me that is the opposite of the message we want to get out - we want to get a message out that says "There are beginning stages that anyone can try - DO try this at home".

Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
Re: Art of Motion Detroit - an unfortunate quote from Ryan Doyle
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 05:53:18 AM »
I agree. A better quote would have been something along the lines of, "These guys are professionals who have been training for years to get to a level where they can compete here. But there are plenty of resources out there for people looking to get started, such as (short list)."

She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Michael Bergeron

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 10:20:12 AM »
While the statement could have been worded better, there are things to consider, and that's liability of the sponsors/coordinators: WFPF, Redbull and of course MTV, home of Jackass.  Also, is there anyone out there that hears: "do not try at home" and then decides to never attempt that sport or activity, and then goes through litigation to have the activity made illegal to prevent others from trying at home?

Since everyone seems to be so lawyer happy these days, there has to be some modicum of a disclaimer.  Besides, starting in your backyard might not be best for every practitioner.   If it is a WFPF event, they would have information on getting started, websites, what a suitable training location would be, any special facilities for PK training like Tempest's Academy, etc.  And if not, then the people running WFPF don't care about the sport, if they cant xerox a few info packets but can organize massive multi-day events that cost thousands of dollars.

For the TL;DR: People driving out to these massive events are probably going to ignore the "do not try at home" statement, or at the very least, look into the sport before running face first into the edge of a picnic table.
Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
~George Carlin

Offline steve dahlin

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Parkour/Freerunning/Tricking
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 10:46:03 PM »
I think inside Ryan Doyle's mind
"Don't try this at home"
This = Gainer Full off of a 6 foot ledge with no training at all
I like Tricking and Free Running, i don't think i actually do parkour, because i do it for fun and self expression, which would change the term to free running.

Offline Eric Reynolds

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 05:47:48 PM »
i agree with grip. i think he was probably meant, don't try this double flyaway in your backyard, or that huge gap. Ive never met Ryan Doyle, but i don't think he would purposely discourage people from getting into parkour.