Author Topic: In your opinion, can anyone do parkour?  (Read 7903 times)

Offline Alessandro

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
In your opinion, can anyone do parkour?
« on: August 25, 2011, 02:50:06 PM »
As title.
I mean, in your opinion, if a person trains hard, even if he spend 18 hours on PC, can become a traceur/freerunner?

Offline Ryan Sannar

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Jump Utah
Re: In your opinion, can anyone do parkour?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 03:08:06 PM »
Yes, its about dedication and commitment, but yes.
10 push ups.

Offline Jordan Strybos

• Man of Skochy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • PKGA
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 03:57:39 PM »
Definitely. It shouldn't be a question of "How do I find time to train parkour in my life?", but rather a question of "How do I incorporate parkour into every aspect of my life?"

Check out 20:16-24:28 in this video.

Offline Shamas

• Mr. Random
  • Mangabey
  • Look behind you
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 06:26:10 AM »
In addition,

Parkour is a discipline. If one takes hold of this and commits to it, anyone- no matter their physical state, gender, etc.- can and will be able to practice Parkour. Anyone can be a traceur.
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
-Hunter S. Thompson
▌§▌
Now this is happening!
http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,14576.180.html

Offline Michael Bergeron

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 10:56:21 AM »
As title.
I mean, in your opinion, if a person trains hard, even if he spend 18 hours on PC, can become a traceur/freerunner?

Definitely.  There's more than 18 hours in a day to train ;)

I know how you might feel.  I'm working for a degree in English/Japanese and between the constant reading and online research I have to do, it can be hard to imagine not having the time for parkour.

A couple of suggestions that I've found are helping me:
  • Take vitamins for the body and Neurotropics for the brain
  It helps not only for keeping alert and ready for parkour, but also class
  • If you cant do parkour for a day or two, then make up exercises you can do when you have a minute (squats, lunge thrusts, etc)
  • Sink into and hold squats if you're at your computer desk gaming or something

Got to run for now, more suggestions when I get a chance.
Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
~George Carlin

Offline Klope3

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 08:05:30 PM »
Are we thinking through all the possible scenarios? I've had to stop short of saying something like, "If you're reading this, YOU can do parkour," because there are so many different situations people could be in. Could a quadriplegic confined to a wheelchair do parkour? What about someone with a mental disorder that severely impairs bodily coordination? Or just someone with a chronic injury that causes intense pain whenever the knees are required to absorb impact? (Assume that physical therapy has been tried and has failed.)

These are real problems that people face. I would love to be able to say that EVERYONE can do parkour, but I just don't think we can make an absolute statement like that. There are too many possible exceptions.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." -Leonardo da Vinci

Goals for 2013:
-Fix Backflip
-Fix Frontflip
-Clean Webster
-Kick the Moon/Flash Kick
-Flow!

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 11:30:12 PM »
Klope3 wins a million internets.

No, not everyone can do parkour.  Quadraplegics and paraplegics for example.  However, you can still be awesome, and still embrace the idea of expanding your limits.  Aaron Fotheringham at least 1000 times more awesome than any traceur, freerunner, or tricker.

Offline Shamas

• Mr. Random
  • Mangabey
  • Look behind you
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 03:50:44 AM »
Are we thinking through all the possible scenarios? I've had to stop short of saying something like, "If you're reading this, YOU can do parkour," because there are so many different situations people could be in. Could a quadriplegic confined to a wheelchair do parkour? What about someone with a mental disorder that severely impairs bodily coordination? Or just someone with a chronic injury that causes intense pain whenever the knees are required to absorb impact? (Assume that physical therapy has been tried and has failed.)

These are real problems that people face. I would love to be able to say that EVERYONE can do parkour, but I just don't think we can make an absolute statement like that. There are too many possible exceptions.
On the baser level, yes they still could. If they get from point A to point B as efficiently as capable and have that mentality then I believe, in their own way, they would be practicing parkour.
This is difficult concerning mentally handicap people, as per the fact that if they can not grasp the mentality or even the act of parkour then they would not be able to practice it.
I agree that not everyone can practice parkour, but I affirm that many of the disabled could be able if they put their minds to it.
Thoughts?
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
-Hunter S. Thompson
▌§▌
Now this is happening!
http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,14576.180.html

Offline 7Erik7

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • A CALL TO ARMS
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 10:24:03 AM »
The question that people tend to ask themself is often Can I do parkour, when it should be can I train parkour. It seems like some people believe that you’re either born to ''do'' parkour or you’re not. This is not the case. Parkour is not some kind of magic ability, and people like Daniel Illabaca, David Belle - the whole Yamakasi, wasn’t born to ''do'' parkour. They trained and practise - and sure - we’re all genetically better att certain areas in parkour (and indeed in general life), but in the end of the day, It depends  if you train and practise or not. Parkour isn’t going out on the internet and copy other people and have the same goals as them. It’s about making up your own mind and train for the reason that please you.

So the question is totally up to whenever you’re physically capable to walk and train. If your body is fully functional there won’t be no problem. And with functional I mean that you don’t have any serious physical injuries or such.

Also, I’d like to add that your goal not neccesary has to be to reach your ’’full’’ potential. Diffrent people have diffrent goals. Some train because It’s fun, some train because they want to try it, some train because they wan’t to experience more of it, some train to reach their full potential, some train to keep themself in shape etcetc. The decision is yours.

It doesn’t matter if you compare someone that have been training parkour for a month with someone that have been into it for over twenty years, like the Yamaksi, because they all have the same goals: to improve. Since, parkour, or freerunning if you wish, isn’t competetive, there are no restrictions on how much you should improve or in what directions.

So, keep a good mentality and enjoy your training, and don’t compare yourself to others, or try to copy others, find your own pace, your own goals, and try to enjoy it as much as possible and find peace in your way of training it.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 10:31:41 AM by 7Erik7 »