Author Topic: Be strong to be useful  (Read 2780 times)

Offline D0ubleZer0

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Be strong to be useful
« on: August 15, 2011, 05:33:15 PM »
I'm relatively new to parkour, but I'm very new to actually taking parkour training seriously.  I've been reading into the origins and the philosophies of parkour, and of course I came across Georges Hebert.  I've decided that I want my own personal philosophy on parkour to focus on his idea of "be strong to be useful".  I've realized that to follow this to the fullest, I'm going to have to be able to perform my best in any situation, meaning that I'm going to have to train for every situation.  Some of the ideas I had, after I've gotten the basics down well enough, were training using only one arm or one leg, in all types of weather, wearing clothes that aren't ideal (dress shoes, khakis, etc.), on a very full or empty stomach, using only one eye, hell, even having to use the bathroom really badly, as well as other situations.  I was just wondering how many of you train like this, and for those that do, the craziest situation you've ever trained for.

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
Re: Be strong to be useful
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 07:15:50 PM »
I try to train like that sometimes, crawling through puddles in rainstorms, on a full stomach, wearing boots, etc.  What I personally find lacking in parkour is the "useful" part - how many people are trained in cpr, first aid, etc? What's the point of getting there first if you can't help when you get there?
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline D0ubleZer0

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 09:40:43 PM »
Huh. I guess "useful" is a tricky idea to nail down.  Pretty much everyone is useful in some way.  Doctors fix injuries, lawyers keep people in/out of jail, cops stop crime, cooks cook, teachers teach, fighters fight.  "Be strong to be useful" can apply to many (if not all) activities/jobs.  In that sense I think it's more of an outlook that one should have on life, rather than just parkour.  Everything we do we should do our best, learn it our best, with the goal being to someday help someone with our knowledge and skills.  To be useful.  Some things may not seem like they'll ever be useful, but the point is you never know.  You never know when someone will need your help or what kind of help they'll need, so you have to always be ready.  Sure, parkour may not always be useful on it's own, but (and I'm just figuring this out as i type this, so bear with me) nobody ever said that "be strong to be useful" only applied to parkour.  Heck, isn't that one of the things thats so great about parkour?  That its ideas can be applied to the rest of your life?  If somebody wants to help people and the only thing they're doing is training in parkour, they won't be able to help as many people as they think.  Say you're walking with your friend, or your girlfriend, or a relative, and you get attacked.  Parkour will only save you, not them.  And, like M2 said, what if you climb up a building thats on fire to save someone, only to discover that they have injuries that need to be treated before you can move them anywhere?

You don't need to be a doctor to help people with their injuries, you don't need to be a fighter to fight, or a cook to cook.  But it will still take time and dedication to gain these skills, just like with parkour.  And if you want to truly be useful, to be able to help in virtually any way in any situation, you'll need these skills, as well as others.  You always hear how people are most happy when they're helping others, and you've likely experienced it too.  Striving to be able to help anyone, anywhere, at anytime sort of gives everything a point.  It allows for everything you do to be part of the same goal.  It forces you to cut out the unnecessary and to become a better person in order to be more useful.  Who knows.  Maybe being useful is what it's all about.

Offline TheBigLOL

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 08:34:28 AM »
I feel that most people would be carrying a cellphone with them in their everyday lives.  So if they got to the scene first they could call 911.
Tricking is beast, you should try it.

Offline Chantelle

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 11:58:41 AM »
Wow, one metaphor = total thread derailment?  Why not address the guys question directly?

To original poster:  I like the idea that you have been training while not focusing on needing to pee really bad.  That one always breaks my concentration, no matter what the situation.

Also, training without the use of certain limbs, although examples of extreme situations, is probably the point of training in the first place:  to get out of emergency situations.  You will probably be well prepared for more situations than most. 

It reminds me of a game my cousins and I used to play in the pool called "shark".  It was basically tag, but whatever part the IT person tagged, it was "bitten off" and you couldn't use it to swim away.

Offline D0ubleZer0

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 08:02:21 PM »
I feel that most people would be carrying a cellphone with them in their everyday lives.  So if they got to the scene first they could call 911.

In some situations, by the time any help arrived it might be too late.
Wow, one metaphor = total thread derailment?  Why not address the guys question directly?

To original poster:  I like the idea that you have been training while not focusing on needing to pee really bad.  That one always breaks my concentration, no matter what the situation.

Also, training without the use of certain limbs, although examples of extreme situations, is probably the point of training in the first place:  to get out of emergency situations.  You will probably be well prepared for more situations than most. 

It reminds me of a game my cousins and I used to play in the pool called "shark".  It was basically tag, but whatever part the IT person tagged, it was "bitten off" and you couldn't use it to swim away.

Haha yes I remember playing a game like that too.  That might not be a bad idea to work into a game of parkour tag.

Offline Vagabond

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 11:28:45 PM »
My idea, or rather approach to your quest is this; Train to be autonomous.  Maybe you train to be useful for the Zed apocolypse, or the falling of society, or something of that ilk.  Train youself to be autonomous, so that you may better function in society as well.  Learn basic first aid, learn nutrition, culinary skills, survival skills, etc.  You train youself to better youself, and if for you that is to be able to escape no matter what cheers bra.  But take some time and think about situations and figure out what and who you want to be.  If you were to be in a Zed apocolypse (my personal favorite) make sure you are useful to yourself, and to a group, unless you are a lone wolf.

So train to be autonomous, and be utilitarian about your training.

That is just my $0.02
Always Learn, Always Train
http://norcalparkour.webs.com/

Offline Chantelle

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 02:16:03 AM »
Intensity and focus I strive for through parkour at least.

I'm all about wilderness survival as well.  Alternative fire starting techniques are my thing. 

To bring that to parkour:  fire starting = obstacle.  Alternatives: matches, magnesium and flint, potassium permaganate and sugar etc etc.

Wall = obstacle.  Alternatives etc etc

According to this topic, we are trying out these various obstacles, while under some sort of physical handicap.  Kinda like where survivorman tried to show how to survive a fake plane crash, and did most of his survival week with an arm in a sling to simulate a broken arm.

Offline Fecteau

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Damn straight.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 04:39:17 PM »
Humans are built to work and adapt to heavy work loads. We are made to work, because if we didn't work, we would die.
Fecteau, you are the first person I will turn to when I break up with Micah, haha
;)
Fect, you get a gold star for the day.

Offline DaveS

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 04:11:48 AM »
It's a very common method of training amongst those that practice Parkour seriously.

You try and think ahead. What situations might I find myself in, what might I need to be able to do? Then you try and find out how to solve those problems. You don't really train for 'crazy' situations, but you plan for the rare but very important situations as well as the common situations.

The most important thing is that you keep trying new challenges.
~ Dave
NorthernParkour and the British Parkour Coaching Association