Author Topic: Event Formats - Courses / Rounds  (Read 4310 times)

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
Event Formats - Courses / Rounds
« on: August 15, 2011, 10:39:20 AM »
Use this topic to discuss ideas for how a round could be run. In Seattle it was time and zone based, and in Denver 2/3 were time and zone, but one was time with flags which made for a great event. What other events should be run?
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Gabe Arnold

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Proud Founder of S.U.T.S.
    • View Profile
    • Gabe Arnold Fitness
Re: Event Formats - Courses / Rounds
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 10:07:33 PM »
Courses based on 'flipping switches' to trigger a signal or light. Could be as simple as knocking off a flag or tag or having an LED attached that only turns on when the switch is flipped by a hand, foot, head, etc.

Round 1 - Pure Speed: Competitors given ample time to inspect the course and plot out the fastest route. Best time wins five points, second fastest gets three, and third fastest gets one.
*Can be modified to include more than one speed round, such as APEX having short/medium/long rounds.

Round 2 - Route Challenge: Given no preparation time, competitors must navigate a course in the fastest time possible. Competitors are kept separate during challenge so they can't see the course ahead of time or report back to the others. Top three winners receive same points distribution.

Round 3 - Strength/Endurance: While running a course, competitors must stop at various stations and complete tasks such as lifting 'logs', throwing 'stones', and pushing 'cars'. (Similar to Crossfit Games but with interesting in between sections) Same point spread for top three finishers based on time.

Person with most points at the end of three rounds is the overall winner.

Competitions can be modified to allow for singular or team based events.

Can also be made more cooperatively friendly by having all competitors work together on each section and try to beat a set time limit, the courses only be completed when every person had successfully finished. (Thus forcing faster/stronger competitors to aid weaker ones in completing the overall goal)   
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 10:15:14 PM by Gabe Arnold »

Offline Linda Watters

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 09:23:21 PM »
I just attended my very first parkour competition at  "PKBC V" in Vancouver, BC and it was great. I'm just a newbie who's been taking classes for about 3 months so I didn't even think of competing! Anyhoo, I don't know if this is standard or not, but the organizers had a points based elimination round before the actual competition. There were about 5-6 skills each competitor had an hour to complete before being allowed to compete. Some of the skills had a few levels of difficulty...i.e. The standing two-footed stair jump, six stairs got a certain amount of points, 7 stairs got more points and so on. A certain number of points were needed to be entered in the competition.

From my perspective, I thought this was brilliant because it made sure the qualifying competitors had the proper skill level to complete the courses safely and it gave all of the non-qualifying attendees a level of skill to work towards if they weren't quite there yet (like myself). We had all body types, shorter, taller, thinner and heavier that qualified to compete so the skills test didn't really favour one body type over another. An individual skill may have favoured, oh, someone with longer legs, but it all evened out with the set of five-six skills.

Also, the highest point qualifiers were allowed to run the courses first in order to give the lower point qualifiers time to rest. The logic being that those who qualified with lower points probably used more of the hour allowed to qualify and were more tired. To me, it was a very well thought out competition.

So, what I'm basically saying is, if it isn't already a standard round, an skills based elimination round is a useful round to have, as long the entire set of skills does not favour one body type over another and is relevant to the courses  being run.
Trust the Ground, the Ground will always catch you.

Offline Linda Watters

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 09:29:12 PM »
Oh yes, almost forgot to mention. The points accumulated for each person during the elimination round was tracked by the honour system. Although it was suggested people pair up to run the qualifying round ,ultimately each individual was responsible for reporting whether or not they got enough points to continue. 
Trust the Ground, the Ground will always catch you.

Offline NOS - from Parkour Mumbai

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Parkour Mumbai
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 06:47:38 AM »
Courses based on 'flipping switches' to trigger a signal or light. Could be as simple as knocking off a flag or tag or having an LED attached that only turns on when the switch is flipped by a hand, foot, head, etc.

Round 1 - Pure Speed: Competitors given ample time to inspect the course and plot out the fastest route. Best time wins five points, second fastest gets three, and third fastest gets one.
*Can be modified to include more than one speed round, such as APEX having short/medium/long rounds.

Round 2 - Route Challenge: Given no preparation time, competitors must navigate a course in the fastest time possible. Competitors are kept separate during challenge so they can't see the course ahead of time or report back to the others. Top three winners receive same points distribution.

Round 3 - Strength/Endurance: While running a course, competitors must stop at various stations and complete tasks such as lifting 'logs', throwing 'stones', and pushing 'cars'. (Similar to Crossfit Games but with interesting in between sections) Same point spread for top three finishers based on time.

Person with most points at the end of three rounds is the overall winner.
Gabe, have you seen our Ultimate Sledgehammer course format and details? It's the same thing you describe, plus more.
http://www.parkourmumbai.com/sledgehammer/

Offline Gabe Arnold

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Proud Founder of S.U.T.S.
    • View Profile
    • Gabe Arnold Fitness
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 08:49:17 PM »
NOS - I had not seen the Sledgehammer event before, that's an excellent challenge you planned out! I especially liked the problem-solving 3rd round and the all in one 5th. The videos I watched were from the Dec '10 event, I don't know how many times you've run it since then but I just wanted to make a few observations/suggestions. (Though you've probably thought of them already.)

1) Signs. I think it was easy to become lost in the myriad obstacles in each round, so maybe a numbered sign showing which obstacle came next would help. Or a quick chart at the beginning showing the basic route.

2) Scale-able Challenges. I noticed some of the athletes had trouble with the Prowler push. Maybe the weight used could be determined by percentage of the athlete's weight; so if I weighed 200lbs and the Prowler was half of me it'd be 100lbs. Same with height, maybe make walls and distances a percentage of height, like a precision 1.5x body length. (6ft. tall, a 9ft. jump) It'd be a headache to get measure everything out but it might even the playing field between bigger/smaller runners.

3) Pre-Event Testing. I like what Tom C. and Linda are saying about testing potential athletes to make sure they're physically capable of the full course. If that seems limiting you could have an Open competition with no testing and an Invitational that requires a certain degree of proficiency/strength before starting.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 08:51:38 PM by Gabe Arnold »

Offline Tom Coppola

• Hirundo Rustica
  • TomewardBound
    • View Profile
    • Florida Parkour
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 09:56:17 PM »
PKBC V Competition at Andy Livingstone Playground

Elimination Challenges:

Upper Body:
Wall Dyno
Hanging Dyno

Lower Body:
Standing Stair Jump
Running Bleacher Jump

Combination Skill:
Lache to Cat/Crane

Each challenge was scored out of 2 points based on performance.  10 pt maximum.  To move on to the 1st course you had to earn 8/10 points.  People were asked to pair in groups of two to accumulate as many points as possible in 1 hour.  It was based on the honor system.

The elimination challenges felt a lot like a jam except with set challenges to work on.  Many people were going around helping and giving tips to people trying to achieve the skills.  It was a very supportive environment and helped people realize some of their weaknesses to work on in the future.

~50 people attempted the challenges
~20 people moved on to the courses (we think a couple people lied about their points)

1st course:
Speed - short explosive course
Top 10 fastest times moved on to the other courses.

2nd course:
Problem solving and balance
Two targets had to be reached without touching the ground or wooden platforms of the jungle gym and return to the starting point.  A couple people didn't complete the course without scratching so they didn't move on.

3rd course:
Speed - short and technical course

4th course:
Abilities - Strength and conditioning

Not sure how the 4th course was scored, but included:
# of strides taken between two points
Sled drag with 75% Body weight
Number of dyno taps traversing a crack out of 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfGJ-vaW0Uw

When faced with the stress of a life-threatening engagement, we don't rise to the occasion, we descend to our level of training.

Offline NOS - from Parkour Mumbai

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Parkour Mumbai
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 10:42:58 PM »
NOS - I had not seen the Sledgehammer event before, that's an excellent challenge you planned out! I especially liked the problem-solving 3rd round and the all in one 5th. The videos I watched were from the Dec '10 event, I don't know how many times you've run it since then but I just wanted to make a few observations/suggestions. (Though you've probably thought of them already.)

1) Signs. I think it was easy to become lost in the myriad obstacles in each round, so maybe a numbered sign showing which obstacle came next would help. Or a quick chart at the beginning showing the basic route.

2) Scale-able Challenges. I noticed some of the athletes had trouble with the Prowler push. Maybe the weight used could be determined by percentage of the athlete's weight; so if I weighed 200lbs and the Prowler was half of me it'd be 100lbs. Same with height, maybe make walls and distances a percentage of height, like a precision 1.5x body length. (6ft. tall, a 9ft. jump) It'd be a headache to get measure everything out but it might even the playing field between bigger/smaller runners.

3) Pre-Event Testing. I like what Tom C. and Linda are saying about testing potential athletes to make sure they're physically capable of the full course. If that seems limiting you could have an Open competition with no testing and an Invitational that requires a certain degree of proficiency/strength before starting.
We couldn't generate any interest for the thing, so we were only able to hold one more Challenge after December, where only one participant took part, so all in all, it was a complete disaster. We're hoping to bring it back later this year, with some format changes, and turn it more into a once-a-year limited-entry only event for trained traceurs (instead of the commercial, once-a-month, open to the public event we had planned earlier). I still can't manage to get enough traceurs interested or excited about it to attend it again for some reason, and I can't pin-point why, despite everyone who took part or later watched the videos having said they enjoyed it a lot.

About your suggestions,
1) We didn't have signs, but we did explain the course in detail before the start, and we had several people around who had memorized the layouts, so we acted as spotters and kept telling them where to go throughout the runs. But yeah, signs should be a good idea, we could look into that for the next event.
2) I like Tom's idea of pre-testing, and when used in conjunction with our limited-entry idea for those that are physically capable to do this, I think we could do away with the 'scalable' idea. Plus, the more I think  about it, the more unfeasible it seems to our specific situation. It takes us close to an hour to set up a single layout for any of the five rounds, so keeping everyone waiting while we change the heights of the walls, etc. would make it very tedious. Yeah, but the Prowler can definitely be tweaked.
3) This is a given. I really liked the idea as well.

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 11:37:19 AM »
Two formats I would like to see but require more build out and investment then is currently feasible.

Head to head race

This would usually have to be a specifically made course like a military pentathlon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIZeBDplaqo  each competor would face a identical set of obstacles, the first to finish wins. I would like to see heats of 6 competitors going against identical courses, and everytime it was competed the obstacles are different, format works for sprint distance and up.

We have run these at the parkour visions gym but only head to head to due to space and equipment limitations. There is definitely something different about having someone beside you falling behind or pulling ahead relative to running a course alone. Very fun and interesting mental challenge.

This works realy well for relays as well which is great fun.

Rage Froobling http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci6VFNSZt8I /Border Cross

Competitors don't just race each other they are allowed to contact push and shove though no tackling striking etc. This would have to be competed on dirt based course with water hazards under big jumps.

We have done this in natural training spots its really really fun and challenges you athletically in very powerful way. Check out this new border cross on ice skates event looks like so much fun http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppgw9DHYnbs

« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 11:42:26 AM by Rafe »
I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.