Author Topic: Course Surveying  (Read 3068 times)

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
Course Surveying
« on: August 16, 2011, 03:18:33 AM »
One of the inconsistencies I have noticed is in the definition of what's allowed in terms of "Surveying the course" - I heard "you can practice on any part of the course but not run the course" - which I think is fine in terms of the idea, but needs more specific definition to become a rule.

I (and some others) suggested breaking the field into groups and giving each group a set time on a set of obstacles - even then some regulation is required if one person hogs the obstacle, it is in each competitor's best interest to get as much practice 9to the point of getting tired) on each part of the course before running it.

Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
Re: Course Surveying
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 11:37:24 AM »
I'm not sure this really has to be so specific. I believe that skateboarding, bmx, etc. have open sessions before they compete. I don't know what the limitations are but it seems to be pretty laid back. I think some of this stuff comes to down to competitor etiquette and sportsmanship. Like in surfing, you have to wait your turn to catch a wave or whatever. It would be good to look into some other sports and see exactly how they go about it.

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 02:49:26 PM »
I think that's a great point, and etiquette and that vibe really should be part of our culture that we foster -well put!! As long as everyone has the same opportunity and that opportunity is well defined then it's fair.
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 12:09:56 PM »
I think it worth exploring a variety of approaches to this. Part of the reason gymnastics looks allot better then art of motion(at least IMHO) is because the routines gymnasts do have been refined over a years time. More time to practice and develop strategies will result in more impressive, faster and safer performances. On the other hand if everyone practices together it will tend to decrease the variety of approaches used as people will converge on strategies both because some strategies are more effective and because people will emulate the most effective athletes whether there strategy is especially effective in general or not.

I think we should  experimenting with cold start vs extensive warm up in comps.  One thing that play into this is home court advantage though.  I think a cold start would have massively advantaged locals at both the Seattle and Apex comps.

ANW was very interesting for me because it was cold start I had not built any of the obstacles or trained on other built out obstacles so everything, I ended up having a very good strategy on the quad steps(stay low lean way rely on momentum) and was one of the few to make it with one step on each obstacle while many people tried to go high to avoid the wet portions of the quad steps, on the other hand I though I could do bent arm kipping strategy like brent steffenson on the salmon ladder and that turned out not to play to my strength well at all.

So on built obstacle course in which nobody is more familar with the obstacles I think a cold start is ood challengee. If we are using local hotspots or gyms with very particular stuff that is not common or easy to find in other places like the scaffolding at APEX I think it is only fair to have a warm up period.
I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.