Author Topic: Hanging grip questions  (Read 954 times)

Offline Michael Bergeron

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Hanging grip questions
« on: August 13, 2011, 03:51:00 PM »
    I have a few questions about hanging grips, when it comes to hand and finger positioning; mainly with a hanging grip coming out of a precision jump, to grab a ledge you couldn't make leading into a muscle up...

I've watched as many clips as I can to study certain aspects of it, and notice that it is best to try to keep hands roughly shoulder width apart, if not a few inches wider depending on how wide your hips are...

Here's the questions: Should the thumb be pressed against the flat of the wall (facing your chest) with the fingers over the ledge, and why (does it improve the grip)?

Should I use my feet to not only provide stability by pushing up and a little bit away from the wall, but also as well as a way of keeping my forearms and knees from jamming into the wall?

Can you recommend good exercises to improve grip strength aside from hanging from ledges

If anyone could also post pictures of hand positioning, it might be helpful for others starting out with these new techniques.

Thnx.

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
~George Carlin

Offline Jordan Strybos

• Man of Skochy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • PKGA
Re: Hanging grip questions
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 07:46:29 PM »
(I believe you are describing a catleap/armjump...)

The thumb placement that you are describing is what's generally used, but it's ultimately really up to you. Whatever you feel most comfortable with is what you should do. Your feet should be used to push up, but first and foremost they should be used to absorb as your hands come towards the wall. If you don't absorb with your legs, all of the impact of the armjump will be going into your hands/wrists, which is dangerous.

As for exercises, watch this tutorial, and also just drill any sort of shimmy/traversing motion while you are in that position on the wall. Hope this helps :)

Offline MedvisP

• Mangabey
  • Cloudless every day you fall upon my waking eyes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 10:01:11 PM »
Always try to get your thumb on top of the wall. Your thumb is your strongest finger and if you don't use it you will be sacrificing a lot of grip, which will in turn make your climb up weaker. Just test it yourself. The difference will be obvious.
Power, balance, freedom.
My videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/MedvisP

Offline musuoka

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 10:32:00 PM »