Author Topic: First decent front flip. (Help...please) [Bad quality]  (Read 2502 times)

Offline Josh Boggs

• Carpe Diem
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • To be and to last.
    • View Profile
First decent front flip. (Help...please) [Bad quality]
« on: August 06, 2011, 06:06:19 PM »
I kind of need help on this since this is my first actual "decent" frontflip, well, any flip of that matter. I can do front flips and sideflips PERFECT into water, but when its ground...I can't do it. Lol. Help me out. We all gotta start somewhere. Also, can someone help me out on the brightness of my camera? I don't know why the quality is like this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYnRBfkXSaI

Another thing...I can't even punch front off a picnic table without landing flat on my Gluteus Maximus. ;/ Its sad. Really sad. I don't know how to block and its pissing me off.
Determination is the wake up call to the human will. Remember that.

Do you think Lance Armstrong gave up? No.

My Youtube(:

You're fearless when you recognize why you should be scared of things, but do them anyway--Christian B

Offline superdude88

• is 13!!
  • Mangabey
  • kris vachet
    • View Profile
Re: First decent front flip. (Help...please) [Bad quality]
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 07:45:45 AM »
Whats wrong with it ?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 12:17:26 PM by superdude88 »
I'm Legend, 13, I'm Superdude

"No matter what you see in life see it as an obstacle see it as it can be over come."
-Me

Can't have a rainbow without rain

Offline Roberto Espinoza Jr.

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 11:29:30 AM »
Now I'm no expert on frontflips (or any flip for that matter), but one thing I see on your flip is that you're sort of diving into it. It looks like the only reason why your landing the flip is because you're doing it off something high and because you have a good tuck. If it's blocking that's your problem try watching http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNAe3okMud0

It's dogen's blocking tutorial and it's really helpful.

And when you do learn to block try getting to the peak of your jump before tucking hard to get the most height :)

BTW you motivated me to go practice fronts buuuuut.....and that's a big butt.....I'm sore from running xD so I'll try tomorrow.
Warning:  Limits in mind are further than they appear.

Is it further...or farther...?

Offline Josh Boggs

• Carpe Diem
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • To be and to last.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 03:17:06 PM »
The only reason why I'm diving is cause thats the only way I can do a front. Hahah. I can't block, therefore if I try a punch front I'm going to fail.

My Youtube(:

You're fearless when you recognize why you should be scared of things, but do them anyway--Christian B

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 03:24:57 PM »
Well then try them standing :P No blocking there  :-Sarcasm

Offline Shyam Subramanian

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 04:01:25 PM »
You're doing a webster.  If you do those, you're not swinging your back leg hard enough.  If you fix that, and keep your eyes open, you'll land it clean.

How can you not block lol?  Literally just put your feet out in front of you! :)  Oh, and rebound off your feet.  When you do punch fronts there is no stopping and crouching for power before the flip, literally bounce off the floor, not bending your legs past like 30 degrees.

here's the mini-front tutorial I post on all front flip threads (since they're usually all the same problem :))

Two things needed for a front tuck:

Extension (for height)- This is the straight, extended, catlike shape you see in the beginning of a front.  For a picture:

If you want a good front flip, you absolutely NEED to be in this position at one point.  Meaning, if you take a video of your front and go frame by frame, something like the above needs to pop up at one time.  The extension is what makes or breaks the height of the front flip.

Tuck (for rotation speed)- This is obviously self explanatory.  It's a tuck lol.  For a picture:

Tuck as HARD AS YOU CAN.  Tucking is wierd, it always seems like you're tucking more than you are.  Even I actually don't follow this, I know I can tuck so much more.  Need to work on that lol.  Anyway, tuck into a little a ball as possible, and I mean as little a ball.  You should be tucking to the absolute max.

So, for a good front flip, extension and tuck are the most important things.  If you have those two you're well on your way to a perfect front.

Good luck!

CTPK -|Trumbull Parkour|-

Offline Shae Perkins

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Texas tough
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 05:25:10 PM »
Actually not that bad man. I would say blocking is your main issue. You're practically running though the flip without jumping.
This post was based off of my personal gatherings. Enjoy:)

Offline Josh Boggs

• Carpe Diem
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • To be and to last.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 09:04:33 PM »
Just for this flip I was diving. It just seemed like the right situation to just run up at it and dive, instead of losing speed, stopping and punch fronting. I'mma work on punch fronts alot more, tho. Thanks for the tips, guys.

My Youtube(:

Offline Brian O'Neil

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 11:35:32 AM »
Am I the only one who thinks  punch front (outside especially) is ugly and hard on the joints? I'd much rather master a step in front (webster ish) saving my knees and ankles...

Also, that wasn't a horrible attempt, to land that specific flip, like said before, you really need to throw up the back leg, and make sure you are leaning like going into a dive, that will help the extension on the foot pushing up.
Action without thought is like shooting without aim.

Advising is easier than helping.

Offline David Jones

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Representin the 215's finest... PhillyPK All Day.
    • View Profile
    • PkCali
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 01:19:07 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks  punch front (outside especially) is ugly and hard on the joints? I'd much rather master a step in front (webster ish) saving my knees and ankles...

Depends on the specific situation, but I agree.

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 01:44:54 PM »

Yeah well I don't really punch with two feet either I front flip (sorta split-foot style). Does this mean that I could easily webster? :D

Offline Josh Boggs

• Carpe Diem
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • To be and to last.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 07:18:41 PM »
Yeah well I don't really punch with two feet either I front flip (sorta split-foot style). Does this mean that I could easily webster? :D
Not easily, per say, but definitely sounds like you're definitely used to the motion. Go for it.

My Youtube(:

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 10:56:32 AM »
Not easily, per say, but definitely sounds like you're definitely used to the motion. Go for it.
Hmm I might try later :D

Offline Brian O'Neil

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 11:30:39 AM »
Hmm I might try later :D

Make sure to bring your chest down (almost bend 90 degrees at the hip), and really kick that leg up.
Action without thought is like shooting without aim.

Advising is easier than helping.

Offline steve dahlin

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Parkour/Freerunning/Tricking
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 05:28:51 PM »
you aren't doing enough of a split step take off, your last 2 steps need to be closer together,
it looks like you are jumping onto your right leg, then jumping only off of your right leg and doing a front flip,
your steps should look more like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76IkeqCLDxU
except in this case your wall will be a slanted rock, and you are flipping over the rock.
I just found this cool slanted stone 2 days ago that i was doing Front flips over, which is kind of like this situation
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150756478730093
study that technique
I like Tricking and Free Running, i don't think i actually do parkour, because i do it for fun and self expression, which would change the term to free running.

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2011, 05:46:52 PM »
Make sure to bring your chest down (almost bend 90 degrees at the hip), and really kick that leg up.
Sweet