Author Topic: 45 year old here  (Read 4842 times)

Offline anarkyman

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
45 year old here
« on: August 02, 2011, 11:37:19 AM »
Been doing Parkour for about a year will turn 46 in a few months, not been training especially  diligently, but learned the basics.
But i have spent the last month on a 4-5 time a week routine and feel great and plan to make it my primary fitness activity.

Not much of a stretch for me, i have kept pretty fit doing martial arts and fencing most of my life.
Mostly I have top learn how to be soft now, I weigh 180 pounds and am so used to throwing everything into my movements i have to really re-learn how to move and land like a feather.

pretty much just healed from spinal fusion surgery back in November (living hell) but Parkour is turning out to be a god send for me, marrying relaxation with fitness in a way that makes me feel alot younger and actually helps reduce my neck issues.

So don't sell yourself short 30 year olds i was competing in Jiujitsu at 38 with kids and i teach a 70 year old man how to fence and he kicks the crap out of 20 and 30 year olds regularly after driving 2 hours each way to train.

I envision myself doing this into my 60's or 70's

The Chinese martial arts teach you to keep your Chi flowing with relaxed exrcise as a fountain of youth and health, i beleive thats what happens with good Parkour.

Offline Sam H

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • Sam Books and Thoughts
Re: 45 year old here
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 04:24:24 PM »
That's awesome man!  Very inspiring  :)

I'm a younger 30 year old body (but an old mind I am told).  I've experienced enough and met enough ancient warriors in my few years to know that what you say is true.  I even wrote a short piece for my blog in which I politely try to teach grandmothers how to suck eggs, so to speak.

To my way of thinking, as long as a body is able to gain weight they can develop physically.  The big issue seems to be making the time in between all of life's commitments and knowing what to do to start.

Learn from others but be yourself, find your own way.

Offline Luke Santore

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 04:25:53 PM »
Hats off! No excuses  ;D
10 push ups per post
Parkour= Monkey see, monkey do.
Quote from: Joe Brock
If it's shaking the shake weight, I'm not sure...but I'd shake that thing like I meant to turn on Elton John.

Offline Ryan Sannar

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Jump Utah
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 07:41:59 AM »
Sick stuff bro. Really awesome that you do all that.
10 push ups.

Offline Ruskin

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 01:25:08 PM »
Wow man... Great to see a fellow 40+ on here..
Just turned 41 the other week and have been spending the last 3 weeks trying to nail a palm spin (almost got it), as my goal is to achieve a wall spin before the end of the year... These young guys make it look so easy (and definitely can't do some of the stuff that they can. Not a negative comment, just a realistic view of the body not coping with some of those stresses any more).

Offline Aaron Brown

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • a.brown.bird
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 10:43:26 AM »
Still dealing with a hip slam i took when i was 16. I'm 38 now. I  can't fully flex my left hip and i think it really affects my ability to kong.

Offline anarkyman

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 02:40:08 PM »
Still dealing with a hip slam i took when i was 16. I'm 38 now. I  can't fully flex my left hip and i think it really affects my ability to kong.

Yeah I know the feeling, I injured my hip a long time ago and I cannot do a Kong the way  I am supposed to, I cannot get enough hip flex to let me legs go straight over. 

Kinda sucks, but when you get lemons make lemonade. I modified my Kong to be  halfway between a side and a Kong, sort of a side Kong where I lean out to one side.  I call it the Bastard Kong

Works ok for me but I cannot get the same kind of height that these young kids get, but it is enough for me to move through obstacles.

Offline Xander79

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Settle for less, and you miss out on the best..
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 07:42:57 PM »
You guys got some good enthusiasm about using parkour for exercise. I'm only 32 myself but I've been using a dozen different exercises I've found via apk websites that have replaced weightlifting entirely for me. I do them 3x a week as I was taught in weightclass in highschool and it's been keeping me really fit along with the way I diet myself which is getting scarier the older I get.
Recently I've been trying a gym where they hold parkour and been joining alot of 20 year olds in doing parkour and I've been outdoing alot of them. its funny and feels great being able to do better than they do at my age. I think it has something to do with my superior strength though. I'm only like 160 lbs or so.