Author Topic: Texas News Story  (Read 13833 times)

Offline Matthew Lee Willis

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
Texas News Story
« on: December 08, 2005, 07:39:31 AM »
Recently on Austin TV stations there was an airing of a documentory of parkour with our group as the enthusiests.  I hope you enjoy the advert.

http://www.kvue.com/sharedcontent/VideoPlayer/videoPlayer.php?vidId=41827
Parkour:Phone Calls
Free Running::Text Messaging

Offline Deft

• Definitely NOT a wanker...
  • Patas
    • View Profile
Re: Texas News Story
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 10:29:54 AM »
Something I realized after watching this is that I keep calling it "Le parkour" and no onle esle does. I have no idea why I did that.

The joy of surpassing the limits of the body is open to all.
-Mihaly Csikszentmilhaly

Kipup

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 12:40:12 PM »
Nice man, there's some good footage there. It's awsome that you guys got the publicity!
Keep it up.

- Kipup

Offline klaymen

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 06:33:53 PM »
hm.... time for me to live up to my "honorary frenchman" on the va-parkour boards:

it wasn't represented as well as it could have been. it seemed that people were just trying to go big for the cameras. whenever the media is present, you need to make sure to only do things that you have done many times before and have no thought that you might not make it. if you fall, they will air it. unfortuneatly, many people are gonna see this and have the attitude of "not in my backyard". they saw the one guy fall, and all the flips make people not want to have anything to do with it because "someone might break their neck". just so you know, flips aren't part of parkour. i mean, don't get me wrong, flips are fine, just when you are explaining parkour to the media, don't use them because it is not a part of it.  just remember, the news will try to make anything look bad. if there is a way to make something look like a threat, they will find it. don't give them the chance. notice how they called it an "underground sport". yuck. sorry to be an ass, but no one else was saying anything.

Parkourdan

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 08:19:11 PM »
Whoever was the one doing those drops...  :-\

Offline Alex Steadman

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005, 09:16:29 PM »
Well that was a lot better than our news story haha. 

Pretty cool stuff there.

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2005, 09:43:35 PM »
Klaymen...Shutup.  I am tired of that dumb flip debate.  Save it...and read a message board or two.  I.E. My posts...If you want to talk about flips then go talk about it on the PARKOUR boards.  Actually there were able 4 of us doing the big drop.  We are all use to the drops.  There is one guy that doesnt lad the best and we dont encourage him to drop from any hight, are we going to stop him though?  I dont even know if it shows him doing a bad roll.  The news.  Come on they had to find someone doing something "bad" so they could say that it was dangerous.  Obviously, it was on a hight about a foot from the ground.  If you notice...it wasent the same guys doing the runs and the big skills.  It was just some guys hanging out to get on video.

WE gave them all the interviews that we could.  If they wanted to call it an underground sport i guess thats them...although of course we talked about how long its been in the US and in the UK.  Alex...can you send me a link to your VID?

Offline Sam Slater

• Patas
  • a.k.a. 'Disciple'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2005, 10:38:59 PM »
Matthew, I think you need to calm down.  You are reacting a little to personally to the comments made by Klaymen. He brought up some good points that were not meant to be harsh, but were for both your benefit and the benefit of any other individuals who might be approached by the media.  It is better to be safe than sorry when it comes to brining attention to this art, especially when it is in its fledgling stages here in the United States.  That point made, I would also like to comment that for someone who frequents the boards as frequently as Klaymen does, to assume that he has not read or was not aware of your posts and topics on flips was rather pompous, and the way you invited him to read about your posts was rude and uncalled for.  Anyone who has been in the on-line Parkour community has been a part of or at least seen people discuss the topic of flips in Parkour.  Personally it seems to me that this "flip debate" is not really a debate.  When the originator of an art states that despite his use of acrobatics (flips) they are not considered "Le Parkour" then I would have to say that debating the topic is pointless personally.  It is for that reason that FRPK was created, for lack of a better word, by those running the Urban Freeflow website.  Therefor I am inclined to agree that a distinction must be made when speaking with the media.  In regards to your comment on telling one of your training partners that he could not do a certain drop, which from watching the video it seemed he shouldn't have, it would be in the best interest of the art for any practitioners to be sure that their friends did not perform any techniques for the media if those techniques and the images of them can be viewed as harmful.  If you are going to show someone fall, or if someone does during an interview, then show them how to perform the technique properly while the camera is still filming.  While the image may still be used, as you put it, to illustrate the danger of the art, the images of fellow practitioners taking the time to ensure others safety could speak volumes about the care and consideration taken within the Parkour community.  I am also shocked that you allowed other individuals who do not commonly practice Parkour to come to an open filming as there is obviously an elevated risk when they are practicing.  They will feel more pressure to do something that they are not prepared for than an avid traceur, especially if it could get them on television.  Yes, the spill shown was nothing too bad, i agree with you there, however its existence in the promotion of Parkour is counter productive to introducing the art to the community in a more positive light.

I apologise for taking up space on this tread on this topic, as I would applaud you for the piece and your attempt to advance Parkour in the eyes of the public, however when you decide to take an aggressive stance towards any constructive criticism that would not only help you in the future, but help others as they are approached by local media, I feel that something has to be said.

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2005, 12:50:01 AM »
To be honest Mathew it comes down to this if you are going continue to misrepresent parkour your going to get flamed for it. That little news story is exactly what I don't want to see in parkour peice, it started with wall spin, had tons of flips with no explanation of the fact their not part of the art, had stupidly high drops, no mention of david belle, no mention of efficiency.  If your not interested in actual parkour thats fine but don't call what you do what you represent parkour when its clearly not, call it Free running, or Yamakasi, or 3run or if you have to FRPK, but if you representing FRPK don't forget the Freestyle or your misleading people. 
I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.

Offline Brian Belida

• doc akh
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • OPEN BEAR POSTURE
    • View Profile
    • appropriately untitled
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2005, 07:25:26 AM »
Klaymen...Shutup.  I am tired of that dumb flip debate.  Save it...and read a message board or two.  I.E. My posts...If you want to talk about flips then go talk about it on the PARKOUR boards.

I'm not even sure what that means? But if you're implying that you know that flips are not parkour, then why represent it thusly? I know other people have said that already, but I was just a bit confused by what you meant there.

And Matthew, before you get very defensive and respond to Disciple's and Faelcind's posts with a "shutup," you have to understand where we're coming from. I know it's easy to get caught up in the media spotlight, and I wouldn't be surpirsed if the reporter or cameraman were asking you to do flips and big drops, but if you want to represent parkour well you have to put your foot down. Explain to them what it is and what the purpose is, explain to them what it isn't. I think that parkour in it's purist form is ten fold more exciting than any kind of single-move big drops and any kind of tricking. And when done correctly can look incredible for the camera, if that was of any worry for you.

You've been around the APK forums pretty much since they came about, so I know you've seen how much effort we put into clearing the debate [and as Disciple put it, it's not really a debate] about what is and isn't parkour. And the reason you're getting responses to this that have been less than friendly is because that news piece has undone a little of what we were working towards. So, as you're bound to get some more media attention after the airing of this news piece, I advocate that if more media does come your way, take some time to formulate thoughts that you want to touch on, explain what parkour is and isn't. I know that we all here would be more than willing to help formulate some sentences and paragraphs and entire thoughts to help you out if you need it. Parkour, when described correctly and vividly, is a beautiful and inspiring thing.

Offline klaymen

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2005, 08:40:00 AM »
Klaymen...Shutup.  I am tired of that dumb flip debate.  Save it...and read a message board or two.  I.E. My posts...If you want to talk about flips then go talk about it on the PARKOUR boards.  Actually there were able 4 of us doing the big drop.  We are all use to the drops.  There is one guy that doesnt lad the best and we dont encourage him to drop from any hight, are we going to stop him though?  I dont even know if it shows him doing a bad roll.  The news.  Come on they had to find someone doing something "bad" so they could say that it was dangerous.  Obviously, it was on a hight about a foot from the ground.  If you notice...it wasent the same guys doing the runs and the big skills.  It was just some guys hanging out to get on video.

WE gave them all the interviews that we could.  If they wanted to call it an underground sport i guess thats them...although of course we talked about how long its been in the US and in the UK.  Alex...can you send me a link to your VID?

http://www.americanparkour.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=224&Itemid=1

i know the media misrepresenting some things can't be helped at times, that was more of just a statement to everyone who goes on the news. just to make sure that you give the news as little chance to spin thins wrong. and when people see flips and see you talking about parkour, they naturally assume that flips are a big part. i wasn't trying to piss anyone off. i was just trying to inform in the nicest way i could.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2005, 08:48:20 AM by klaymen »

Offline Deft

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2005, 10:25:08 AM »
The news story was for people who have never heard of parkour. What are we supposed to say "we practise parkour but there is a dumb ass bickering of its practicioners and so we technically practise a subdivision of pk called freestyle pk."  I think that would be even more foolish than what klaman has posted on these boards. Oh an f#ck you for thinking we need help to formulate sentences and paragraphs on parkour because we do describe properly and effectively. Obviously we wish we have a half on hour to get out point across but in the 2 minutes if air time, I think it's pretty damn good!
 We did not edit the news story, THE NEWS PEOPLE DID! so none of that was up to us. ( I hate that it shows a stupid fall too.)

Can anyone show me an example of freestyle parkour that does not have a flip in it? Seriously, send a link or wantever if you have one)    freestyle is accepted as a new part of parkour and freestyle MEANS flips and such. freestyle IS flips and aerials and such.

Has anyone here emailed cyrill Raffelli, Belle, Blue Devil, Kerby (when he was part of the team)and much much more and told them that what they do is not parkour?  ...didn't think so.

-Mihaly Csikszentmilhaly

Offline klaymen

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2005, 10:40:41 AM »
The news story was for people who have never heard of parkour. What are we supposed to say "we practise parkour but there is a dumb ass bickering of its practicioners and so we technically practise a subdivision of pk called freestyle pk."  I think that would be even more foolish than what klaman has posted on these boards. Oh an f#ck you for thinking we need help to formulate sentences and paragraphs on parkour because we do describe properly and effectively. Obviously we wish we have a half on hour to get out point across but in the 2 minutes if air time, I think it's pretty damn good!
 We did not edit the news story, THE NEWS PEOPLE DID! so none of that was up to us. ( I hate that it shows a stupid fall too.)

Can anyone show me an example of freestyle parkour that does not have a flip in it? Seriously, send a link or wantever if you have one)    freestyle is accepted as a new part of parkour and freestyle MEANS flips and such. freestyle IS flips and aerials and such.

Has anyone here emailed cyrill Raffelli, Belle, Blue Devil, Kerby (when he was part of the team)and much much more and told them that what they do is not parkour?  ...didn't think so.

yes, i said in my post that some things you can't control with the news. if you don't want to explain the difference of frpk and parkour, just say free running. also, david belle says that flips aren't parkour. and cyrill raffelli isn't a traceur, he is a gymnast. i think you should watch this video. you may have seen it before, but this time it is translated. http://parkour.net/videos/014-Report_TF1_Interview_David-BELLE_Yamakasi_EN_Parkour.NET.zip

Offline Deft

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2005, 11:00:40 AM »
true backs flips are not part of traditional pk. you have to stop, turn around, then jump and you have stopped the flow. That is not true with a running front flip or aerials down stairs. DId someone stop their flow and then flip? I don't think so.

Yes, I have seen that david b. clip. He does not say anything about freestyle parkour so it doesn't really fit into the senario at hand. Maybe if this was the first day freestyle pk came out, but this is not a new issue! **wake up slap**

Corndogg posted some awesome "work pk" shots. the first one was a palmspin. not one of the people who constantly jump our cases commented on how "thats's not parkour" I have no idea why we are the chosen target. I like the pics and consider him a brother of the same art.

when cyrill and david do techniques outdoors they call it outdoor gymnastics as they go on runs with vaults and flips and such?
Show me where it says they call it that.

klayman-why does it help you sleep betterat night to know that we call what we do "free running" or "freestyle parkour" instead of "parkour"?

-Mihaly Csikszentmilhaly

Offline klaymen

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2005, 11:06:11 AM »
true backs flips are not part of traditional pk. you have to stop, turn around, then jump and you have stopped the flow. That is not true with a running front flip or aerials down stairs. DId someone stop their flow and then flip? I don't think so.

Yes, I have seen that david b. clip. He does not say anything about freestyle parkour so it doesn't really fit into the senario at hand. Maybe if this was the first day freestyle pk came out, but this is not a new issue! **wake up slap**

Corndogg posted some awesome "work pk" shots. the first one was a palmspin. not one of the people who constantly jump our cases commented on how "thats's not parkour" I have no idea why we are the chosen target. I like the pics and consider him a brother of the same art.

when cyrill and david do techniques outdoors they call it outdoor gymnastics as they go on runs with vaults and flips and such?
Show me where it says they call it that.

klayman-why does it help you sleep betterat night to know that we call what we do "free running" or "freestyle parkour" instead of "parkour"?

yes, many people just say frpk is just a bunch of random crap thrown together. it is a mixture of tricking, breakdancing, gymnastics, and movements of parkour. and as for why i don't like it being called parkour. it is the same reason people don't want street fighting to be called akido. it just isn't the same thing at all. true, they may look very similar at times, but they aren't.

Offline Deft

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2005, 11:25:16 AM »
Klayman- I am assuming that you consider yourself to be a pratcitioner of "parkour." I just went to page 2 of the vids and watched your clip. the VERY FIRST thing you do is climb a fence and then hold a flag stance then it cuts out. Do you seriously think that is part of traditional parkour? Maybe someone is being a bit hypocritical.

(on a side note:  I do like your vid. The music and general feel were good. I just wish you weren't hating on my group so much.)
and I know it's not really "hate" persay more than misguided attempt to keep a sport in a certain light or direction, but you are guilty of whatever accusations you made towards us so just get over it.

-Mihaly Csikszentmilhaly

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2005, 12:36:58 PM »
Deft FRPK is not an accepted sub division of parkour! Thats the problem with it. Freestyle parkour is as much a subsect of parkour as gymnastics is sub sect of martial arts but because UFF had to keep using the world parkour people are being mislead. Your still bound up in misconceptions about what parkour means from UFF. Parkour is not defined by flow. A tumbling run can flow its not parkour if it scarificies speed and efficiency.

If you don't understand parkour, and haven't done the research to understand it please don't try and represent it.
I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2005, 12:45:49 PM »
*sits down and waits for the first blow*

"GET EM DEFT!"

*opens bag of popcorn "

*this is getting good"*

Klaymen kind of hit a sore spot at first but...I don’t care to much now...I’m getting use to arguing with people about this...even though most of them just don’t want to agree.  You know for every 5 people that blast this comment I get one person that adds me to their MSN Messenger and tells me that they agree with what Deft and I are trying to represent and its no good trying to argue on the boards.  It is sad that this happens...I tell them to go out and speak but it seems like Deft and I are the only ones that will fight for movement that can be practiced in many different ways.

Disciple...are you a disciple of Parkour?  Thank you Deft for making the comment about the video and how we don’t need people to talk for us...I understand that it was a nice gesture but it was disrespectful...just like it was disrespectful for me to tell klaymen to shut up.  This is a vid and we long know that almost every vid on here has somewhat non Parkour elements in them.  Our vid never showed us eating or riding a bike...it was always movement.  Jump London was presented to the world as free running and now even SEB considers himself to be a Traceur and does Parkour.  He had flips and An EXTREAMLY high drop when he advertised it.  We didn’t have anything near that height.  Also we encourage new comers to come to the jams always.  We figured that the news team could show some of the simple things that even the beginners could do.  lol like get hurt, j/k but seriously we wanted the whole mix to be there.

Overall this is not where the flips slash FRPK and TRPK and Free Running and Street Climb should be discussed.

Offline Asa Liebmann

• New Jersey
  • Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • NYParkour
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2005, 01:08:46 PM »
Deft and Matt, everyone has been very nice to you, and you have done nothing but abused them. So let me tell you, honestly, that I think you have no idea what you're talking about.

The fact that you are willing to argue to the death things that are false, and attack people in retaliation to an imagined attack (not to mention your complete disregard of the fact that these people are working so hard to help you) is disgusting.

You tell klaymen to "shut up [...] and read a message board or two." Well I think it's you who needs to do the reading.

The news story was for people who have never heard of parkour. What are we supposed to say "we practise parkour but there is a dumb ass bickering of its practitioners and so we technically practise a subdivision of pk called freestyle pk."

Based on that comment alone, I can safely say that you have no room to argue about Parkour.

For such an avid freerunner, you have no understanding of the activity that you claim to practice.

Has anyone here emailed Cyrill Raffelli, Belle, Blue Devil, Kerby (when he was part of the team)and much much more and told them that what they do is not parkour?  ...didn't think so.

Hahahaha

true backs flips are not part of traditional pk. you have to stop, turn around, then jump and you have stopped the flow. That is not true with a running front flip or aerials down stairs. Did someone stop their flow and then flip? I don't think so.

There is no such thing as Traditional Parkour. There is only Parkour and Not Parkour.

Flow...    ::)   Once again, research.

Yes, I have seen that David b. clip. He does not say anything about freestyle parkour so it doesn't really fit into the scenario at hand. Maybe if this was the first day freestyle pk came out, but this is not a new issue! **wake up slap**

But you weren't talking about "freestyle" parkour on your interview, were you? You were doing an interview about Parkour. That's like doing an interview about silk and showing pictures of polyester (That is; wrong).

when Cyrill and David do techniques outdoors they call it outdoor gymnastics as they go on runs with vaults and flips and such? Show me where it says they call it that.

It's called acrobatics.

Klayman- I am assuming that you consider yourself to be a practitioner of "parkour." I just went to page 2 of the vids and watched your clip. the VERY FIRST thing you do is climb a fence and then hold a flag stance then it cuts out. Do you seriously think that is part of traditional parkour? Maybe someone is being a bit hypocritical.

It says "Parkour" nowhere in the title nor anywhere in klaymen's posts in that thread, so don't try turning it on him.

All that being said, the interview/feature wasn't bad, and contained some accurate information.

Whoever it was that was doing the wallspin, please private message me, I have a few pointers.

Note: I ran spellcheck, so don't be offended if some words in the quotes are spelled correctly now.

Offline Asa Liebmann

• New Jersey
  • Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • NYParkour
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2005, 01:10:02 PM »
Matt, what's TRPK? Is this something new that I missed?