Author Topic: Getting alot better results.  (Read 5734 times)

Offline Josh Boggs

• Carpe Diem
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • To be and to last.
    • View Profile
Getting alot better results.
« on: June 24, 2011, 08:48:04 PM »
A little over a month ago I decided I'm going to watch what I eat, do HIIT, and by the end of the year, get toned. So far, I'm seeing GREAT results. You should've seen what I looked like a few months before! Ha! I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing and hopefully by the end of the year I'll achieve my goal of being toned.

NOTE: I'm going to post pics, so no making fun(: We all start somewhere.  ;D I'm going to do a before and after picture like Mumu. Just took a picture so in about 6 months I'll take another and we'll see how I look then :P

I'm 6'0" and 160 lbs.

Determination is the wake up call to the human will. Remember that.

Do you think Lance Armstrong gave up? No.

My Youtube(:

You're fearless when you recognize why you should be scared of things, but do them anyway--Christian B

Offline Jordan Davis

• Mangabey
  • Always Move Purposefully
    • View Profile
    • AMP Freerunning
Re: Getting alot better results.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 03:58:13 PM »
Why do you want to "tone"????
You aren't overweight, do you want to gain strength? or bulk up?

tone is often a term used by people who have too much bodyfat over their muscles, and want to burn it to show more muscle, though tone isn't measurable, and not a good term to use.

Tell us some of your goals and we can maybe help you more.
Parkour Coach

Guinness World Record Holder (Side Flip) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0UEr0q2jWI

Certified Personal Trainer

-His Glory Alone-

Offline Mind Reflections

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 05:58:19 PM »
proud of you

Offline Joe Brock

• #1 Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Pick your passion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 08:24:44 PM »
I don't even know what this word "tone" means...
I assume that you mean less BF% and more lean muscle mass.
Please clarify.
Posts are not to be mistaken for medical or training advice, or anything other than the rantings of an amateur strongman and powerlifter.

Offline Josh Boggs

• Carpe Diem
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • To be and to last.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 09:50:20 PM »
I don't want to be "ripped" I just want to be "lean", "toned", "a lot of muscle, but not huge muscles like bodybuilders"

My Youtube(:

You're fearless when you recognize why you should be scared of things, but do them anyway--Christian B

Offline Joe Brock

• #1 Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Pick your passion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 09:56:03 PM »
I don't want to be "ripped" I just want to be "lean", "toned", "a lot of muscle, but not huge muscles like bodybuilders"

Then don't take steroids.  :)  A regular strength training program would help you put on mass, but HIIT isn't going to do it at all.  You'll simply end up skinny and weak.  Progressive overloading would be your best option to gain muscle, but you'll have to cycle in a caloric excess in your diet to actually increase muscle mass.  Then (and only then) should you be concerned with getting lean.  I promise, it's easier to get lean when you have more muscle.
Posts are not to be mistaken for medical or training advice, or anything other than the rantings of an amateur strongman and powerlifter.

Offline Josh Boggs

• Carpe Diem
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • To be and to last.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 10:04:50 PM »
Then don't take steroids.  :)  A regular strength training program would help you put on mass, but HIIT isn't going to do it at all.  You'll simply end up skinny and weak.  Progressive overloading would be your best option to gain muscle, but you'll have to cycle in a caloric excess in your diet to actually increase muscle mass.  Then (and only then) should you be concerned with getting lean.  I promise, it's easier to get lean when you have more muscle.
What I'm doing now seems to be working ALOT, actually. Its not really HIIT, I do jumprope HIIT. A little different.

My Youtube(:

Offline Joe Brock

• #1 Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Pick your passion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 10:21:17 PM »
Well then....do whatever makes you happy.  ;)

Offline Josh Boggs

• Carpe Diem
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • To be and to last.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 10:29:08 PM »
Well then....do whatever makes you happy.  ;)
I wish I knew alot more about diet and exercise...haha.

My Youtube(:

Offline Joe Brock

• #1 Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Pick your passion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 10:54:20 PM »
I'm trying to assist your understanding.  What I'm saying is that, while you're seeing results from cutting BF% with your HIIT program, you won't really put on significant levels of muscle.  It is the downfall of just about teenage boy that is interested in "tone" (excuse me for stealing a Rip quote here), "most guys are worried about having a 6-pack, when they don't have a fridge to put it in."

I'm not trying to argue that you're not going to "see" some composition changes.  (As a matter of fact, I'm not trying to argue at all...if I wasn't interested in trying to help, I'd go back to reading articles by Louie Simmons on programming so that I can get my squat up to over 3xBW...freaking plateaus!)

It is harder to get big and strong than it is to lean up.  By telling yourself that you don't care about how "toned" you are until you are as "big" as you want to be, you'll save yourself a lot of heartbreak with your long-term goals.  If you just want the 6-pack, then be a skinny guy with a 6-pack.  You said "lot of muscles" which aren't there yet, and will be harder to get than a low BF%.

Offline Brian O'Neil

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 04:28:14 AM »
160 is light for 6'0"...

Eat more, and keep doing what you're doing. Although I too would suggest a basic lifting program (SS for example would be good).
Action without thought is like shooting without aim.

Advising is easier than helping.

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 05:53:54 AM »
Joe is right.  "Toning" doesn't exist.  You can have more or less bodyfat, or you can have more or less muscle.  Don't get the idea that you can be skinny and strong.  You must have muscle to be strong.  Too much emphasis on the TV and media that big muscles equals slow, dumb, clumsy strength.

Offline Josh Boggs

• Carpe Diem
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • To be and to last.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 10:15:20 AM »
160 is light for 6'0"...

Eat more, and keep doing what you're doing. Although I too would suggest a basic lifting program (SS for example would be good).
Alright. The thing is guys, I don't want to have alot of freaking stomach fat on me. It pisses me off more than anything. Thats why I haven't eaten alot more than I could. I've been eating high protein, low carb, but still I could eat alot more. I think I will.

My Youtube(:

Offline Sarai Brock

• PREGGERZ!
  • Ambassador
  • Patas
  • Life is a fairytale touched by the hand of God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 11:25:28 AM »
Alright. The thing is guys, I don't want to have alot of freaking stomach fat on me. It pisses me off more than anything. Thats why I haven't eaten alot more than I could. I've been eating high protein, low carb, but still I could eat alot more. I think I will.

If you're not willing to put on a little weight you're not going to get stronger... period.  After you strengthen up then its easy to tone down.  It's either a) look good or b) get strong... bulk up... trim down... look & feel AMAZING.
Because that's the way I tuck and roll...

Offline Brian O'Neil

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 12:51:01 PM »

If you get your cals, in a healthy way, you won't put up stomach fat (or fat anywhere else for that matter really). Do a clean bulk, probably one of the hardest ways I've tried to add weight. Or do it the boss way, if you feel lacking on your diet one day, take a shot or two of EVOO. Theres a lot in 2 oz of the stuff. Also, drink whole milk (2% if you can't handle whole).

Also, if you were to get a 6-pack right now, it would be the most perfect example of not having a fridge to put it in (Rip) according to your pictures above. This isn't ripping on you, but with parkour, a strengthening program and a healthy diet, you could build a real nice frame, just have to stick with it.

Good luck!
Action without thought is like shooting without aim.

Advising is easier than helping.

Offline Jordan Davis

• Mangabey
  • Always Move Purposefully
    • View Profile
    • AMP Freerunning
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 01:00:20 PM »
Gotta eat more to fuel muscle gain, gotta progressive overload to actually GAIN muscle. If you like HIIT, that's fine, we can't force you.  But you should atleast look into Starting Strength.  Great way to gain muscle and take advantage of the "novice effect." 
If you wanted to gain more understanding of diet/exercise
head over to eatmoveimprove.com
Parkour Coach

Guinness World Record Holder (Side Flip) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0UEr0q2jWI

Certified Personal Trainer

-His Glory Alone-

Offline Joe Brock

• #1 Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Pick your passion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 03:53:13 PM »
Great way to gain muscle and take advantage of the "novice effect." 
<3

I'm going to give you a piece of advice (that I'm almost certain that you won't listen to).  Take the next year and say, "To HELL with my levels of fat!  I'm going to get stronger by whatever means is necessary."  Pick up a copy of Starting Strength, about 4 gallons of milk (to start with), some olive oil, and explain to your mom that you've decided that you must eat more beef or you're going to shave your eyebrows off and dance naked to Lady Gaga songs in the front yard.  FOLLOW THE SS TEMPLATE!!!  Exactly.  If Rip says "don't do curls."  Then don't so them.  If he says Squat 3 times a week, then you do it.   If Rip says use progressive overloads, then you make it happen.  EAT LIKE YOU'RE TRYING TO BE A SUMO.

Then, after a year, cut the excess fat using the jump rope, or HIIT, or by simply cleaning up your diet. 

Offline Alex Patterson

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 05:12:18 PM »
Listen to Joe. And buy the book. I got it. Such great info. And for me it broke so many ideas I thought I knew about exercising.

My brother is kinda in the same boat. He's 5'8". 130 pounds. And he's trying to gain weight and "tone" up. But he refuses to listen to me. He drinks protein drinks and does crunches all day. But. He's still weak and hasn't gained any weight.

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline Josh Boggs

• Carpe Diem
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • To be and to last.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2011, 06:35:42 PM »
Alright, alright. You all have changed my mind. Lol. The next year or so I'll be putting on more weight and whenever I get an Olympic barbell set, I'll be doing that SS program. But until then..what can I do to get bulkier? I have hardly any weights...maybe...65 lbs at the most. Which that only comes in handy for curls...nothing else, really. Again, what can I do to put on more muscle mass until I have enough weights to start lifting?

My Youtube(: